Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alex Anthopoulos Walks

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Alex Anthopoulos Walks

Who’s up to be the next GM of Toronto? I’d like Mattingly from the Dodgers, but looks like he’s going to go to the Marlins. I would like to see a manager who excels at managing pitching, and I don’t care about a hitting expert obviously.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports All-Star

Funny. Up until June of this year, most writers and fans were calling for his head. What a difference 4 months can make.

Dobber Sports Ninja

That's because people are stupid.

AA got so much public scrutiny when the vast majority of his moves ended up being relatively successful. He has a knack for finding value where most people see nothing. But because of the team's failure to reach that next level following the Miami deal and the Dickey trade looking bad from an optics perspective, he got a ton of criticism. It didn't help that he set the clock on himself when he first stepped in as GM that he expected the team to be in the playoffs within 3 years or something like that. I think you can chalk that up to a bit of over-enthusiasm and inexperience at the time.

It also didn't help that AA basically got flamed by Bautista every year for not pushing the team to the next level.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Just to be clear, none of this is Shapiro's fault. It's Roger's fault for pulling the trigger too soon on AA, although to be fair back when the GM hunt was going on, the Jays were looking rather mediocre.

Ed Rogers made promises to Shapiro I'm sure, and now Shapiro is simply doing what any rational person would do in his position. There's no way Rogers would have been able to lure Shapiro without commitments that he would be fully in control.

To give you a sense for how badly Rogers botched this whole process, I read somewhere that Rogers made the boneheaded move of trying to lure away the White Sox GM first (among others)... who happens to be a very close personal friend of Beeston's... to replace Beeston. That's some shrewd management right there lol.

Dobber Sports Padawan

-In the beginning, AA was asked to move big ticket players. So he traded the albatross of the Vernon Wells Contract. And he got as much as he possibly could for Halladay. First mission complete.
    -then he was asked to rebuild this organization through the farm. AA went out and put together a list of prospects that kept his phone ringing from other GM's looking to acquire them. Second mission complete.
    -then The bosses wanted to start filling the stands with excited customers. So AA pulled off two massive offseason moves that had a city buzzing about baseball in November/December. And had Vegas peg them as pre season faves. Third mission complete
    -then AA was asked to put together a playoff worthy team. One that would not only make the playoffs but could make a run. Acquiring Martin, Donaldson, Travis, Tulo, Price, Revere and other utility types to ensure this happens. Fourth mission complete.

All the while the Jays fanbase was calling for him to be fired. Losing site of what this great GM was trying to build for the future. His bosses allowed him to go into the 2015 season as a lame duck GM with no contract.

Truth is Toronto's fan base and Rogers never deserved AA. I hope Shapiro is here to finish what AA started. Because my gut tells me we are about to know what being a Cleveland fan is all about.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I do think Shapiro is an idiot for scolding Antho & co. if that actually happened, and you have to believe that that sort of thing can result in a pretty shitty working relationship right off the bat.

It's not like Antho left this team high and dry. There are some solid young pieces to build around and majority of the pieces he acquired with those young prospects are here to stay for awhile.

I could understand if he was upset because Antho threw everything at rental players to gear up for a fruitless run, but he didn't. A lot of the pieces are here to stay.

Dobber Sports Titan

AA to Detroit.
    Shapiro doesn’t do Bautista’s and Edwin’s extension
    Detroit trades youth for Tulo and Donaldson
    Signs Price, Estrada, Bautista, and Edwin.
    Detroit wins the WS

Dobber Sports Deity

Well first off, there are zero GM positions available today so unless someone is getting fired, Anthopoulos is not going to be a big league GM anytime soon.

I've heard rumours today that the Dodgers reached out to him about employment but not sure to what extent.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Well first off, there are zero GM positions available today so unless someone is getting fired, Anthopoulos is not going to be a big league GM anytime soon.

I've heard rumours today that the Dodgers reached out to him about employment but not sure to what extent.
    Marlins fired their GM around the supper hour today. AA was made aware of this on McGowan's show on sportsnet this evening. Now that's a rebuild. #InAAwetrust
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    Marlins fired their GM around the supper hour today. AA was made aware of this on McGowan's show on sportsnet this evening. Now that's a rebuild. #InAAwetrust
    Interesting. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Interesting. I guess we will have to wait and see.
    Didn’t the Marlins get Mattingly too? That’s a solid Manager and GM combo for a rebuild. Plus they have a few of the top youth players in the league. If I was AA I’d go there. He can turn that lineup into the Jays 2.0. Stanton, Gordon, Yelich, Ozuna, Fernandez, and Koehler are a pretty good starting block.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Didn’t the Marlins get Mattingly too? That’s a solid Manager and GM combo for a rebuild. Plus they have a few of the top youth players in the league. If I was AA I’d go there. He can turn that lineup into the Jays 2.0. Stanton, Gordon, Yelich, Ozuna, Fernandez, and Koehler are a pretty good starting block.
    Yep, the Marlins have officially hired Mattingly.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SportsCen...9210177536?p=v

THIS JUST IN: Marlins hire Don Mattingly to be their next manager. (via @VICESports) pic.twitter.com/TDNdcJGcDf
    From the sounds of it though, the Marlins aren't hiring a replacement GM anytime soon,

https://mobile.twitter.com/flasports...9400056832?p=v

Marlins officially announce the Jennings' departure, as we reported earlier. Mike Hill (pres. of baseball ops) will assume GM duties, too.
    This doesn't mean they won't look at it down the road but from the sounds of it, the Prez will be doing double duty. Certainly not uncommon.