Thread: To add Gibson or to not add Gibson....

Dobber Sports Titan

Default To add Gibson or to not add Gibson....

So in my 16-team weekly lock league, I have a Free agency problem.

It’s a points league (3/goal, 2/apple, 1/ppp, 0/3/pim, 5/w, 0.2/save, and 3/SHO).

Story:
    Last yr I got screwed over when Lundquist got hurt and I wasn’t able to pick up Talbot, but I was lucky enough to pull out the championship still. The league is heavily weighted in goalie points (Pavelic score the same points as the top forward, Ovi, last yr), so I would love to have my 2 starting goalies backup options if there’s an injury.

My Situation:
    My two starters are Lundquist (kept), and Andersen. I have Raanta, but now Gibson has been dropped. I have little doubt in my mind that if Andersen was to be unavailable to play, Gibson would take over and not Khudobin. Now Gibson has finally been dropped by the GM and I would love to get him, but here’s the catch, I don’t know who to drop! My team is young, and 2 of my bench spots are taken up by Couture and Eberle (no IR slots).

My Team:
    Here’s my teams options to drop (6F slots, 4D, 2G)….
    Strome and Ehlers are on my bench right now (Along with Couture, Eberle, and Raanta)
    D are undroppable on my team really (Karlsson, Weber, Carlson, Klingberg)
    Then my Forwards are Larkin, Panarin, Domi, Drouin, Scheifele, and Simmonds

My Thinking:
    I think I’m looking at Scheifele (13.2, 2.2/game) to drop. My worse player points wise is Strome (11, 1.8/game) and Ehlers (12.2, 2.0/game).

It’s a weekly start league, so my thinking bench means nothing but injury replacements.

As always I’ll rep who I can!
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: To add Gibson or to not add Gibson....

I would not make any moves here unless one of the potential drops is permanently glued to your bench and his stats won't count unless you have significant injuries to your other players.

The way I see it, Gibson is an insurrance policy more than anything whereas your other players can actually be used. My big issues here are that:
    1) Andersen has to get injured for Gibson to even remotely see any playing time
    2) Andersen has to get injured and miss significant time for Gibson to have value
    3) Khudobin has to crap the bed for Gibson to come in and scoop up all of the playing time while Andersen is out
    4) Gibson has to be healthy and performing well at the time of his potential call-up

With these examples in mind, I would probably hold back from making this move even though it ''may'' help you in the long run. If you are really keen on making a move though, I would let Strome go.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I would not make any moves here unless one of the potential drops is permanently glued to your bench and his stats won't count unless you have significant injuries to your other players.

The way I see it, Gibson is an insurrance policy more than anything whereas your other players can actually be used. My big issues here are that:
    2) Andersen has to get injured and miss significant time for Gibson to have value
    3) Khudobin has to crap the bed for Gibson to come in and scoop up all of the playing time while Andersen is out
    4) Gibson has to be healthy and performing well at the time of his potential call-up

With these examples in mind, I would probably hold back from making this move even though it ''may'' help you in the long run. If you are really keen on making a move though, I would let Strome go.
    I agree with most of Bass's comments other than the one in bold. I'm of the mindset that Khudobin offers absolutely ZERO obstacles for Gibson to get starting goalie minutes. It's ALL Andersen. If Andersen remains healthy and plays like we expect him to, Gibson stays in the minors and plays a ton. If Andersen gets hurt at all... Then during the time Andersen is out, Gibson gets called up and is immediately thrust into the #1 job. Khudobin will continue to see the minutes he was expected to see regardless of Andersen or Gibson playing INFRONT of him.

But I do agree with 1, 2 and 4 as direct impacts on Gibson's value.

I've been burnt by goalies each and every year due to injury and this year... Health isn't an issue but Bob (Horrible play) and Crawford (mediocre start) so I get your desire to pick him up and quite likely would do so myself.

Plain and simple as bass says... the guy to drop is the guy permanently glued to your bench so that losing his stats in favor of Gibson in the minors getting no stats has zero impact and you sit on the possibility.

Good Luck.

Dobber Sports Titan

Ya, if Andersen can’t play, Gibson is the starter, that’s my thinking. At worse he becomes a split goalie, but in a 16-team league at minimum 32 goalies are taken, and I think roughly 40 are actually taken, so no starters available and all the splits are gone too (Lehtonen/Niemi, Howard/Mrazek and ect). The protection of the “2nd starter” has me thinking R.Strome (NYI) will always be stuck on the bench, and especially when Eberle and Couture comes back.

My Forward Depth Chart in my eyes:
    Couture
    Drouin
    Eberle
    Simmonds
    Domi
    Panarin
    Scheifele
    Ehlers
    Larkin
    Strome
    That’s it roughly, but the big thing is will Larkin stick with the club? 3 more practice games for him (6GP), if he gets sent down he’s an easy drop.

Also 2-keeper league, so who i drop won't even come close to usurping Karlsson or Lundy

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Sounds like you've got this figured out fella.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Sounds like you've got this figured out fella.
    Ya I think I talked myself into what I want to do I’m dropping Strome for him. Already WW 15/16, might as well put a claim in. No issue falling to 16th claim when the guy who’s 16th right now burned his 8th overall claim for a guy he just dropped. (ESPN leagues are weird)

I’d rep you Havana but it says I have to spread it around first lol

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    I agree with most of Bass's comments other than the one in bold. I'm of the mindset that Khudobin offers absolutely ZERO obstacles for Gibson to get starting goalie minutes.
    Hehe, I was careful in what I said: ''has to crap the bed for Gibson to come in and scoop ALL OF THE PLAYING TIME'' meaning they may go 50-50, maybe even 30-70 in Gibson's favour but I doubt JG comes from the A mid-season and dominates the NHL to the point that he is the only goalie the Ducks will count on in Andersen's absence. Think about it; if Andersen is out for 10 games, Gibson is looking at 7 games unless he wins pretty much every first game he plays and Khudobin chokes during his first one.

It comes back to my list of IFs (if this happens, if that happens)... too much uncertainty for it to be worthwhile.

However, knowing that Strome will have little to no statistical impact on your team and that he becomes an insurrance policy as well, may as go with a goalie here!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post

I agree. I'd stand pat

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Yes stand pat for sure