Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Daniel Sprong

Banned

Default Re: Daniel Sprong

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    It was obvious that the keep him up, you just didn't want to see it. And i also don't think it's dumb, playing in the NHL and practising with some of the best players will bring him a lot more than top minutes in junior hockey.
    I would agree if he was a player like horvat, lazar, etc. He's a goal scorer, offensive player. If he doesn't get goals and points his confidence will take a hit. In junior he'd be a premier scorer who could help his team win the league and maybe a mem cup. He still had quite a bit to learn from junior at least for one more season. Playing and practising with nhlers means little if you're getting 9 minutes per game doing nothing offensively.

i don't think it was obvious that he was sticking, but maybe it was because to me it's a short sighted PR move. He's not helping the Penguins much right now and they're t helping him much wit his development. A second round pick from the draft that just happened should only make the NHL under extreme circumstances, I.e. If he dominates and blows the socks off of everybody. You can't argue that Sprong is doing that. To waste a year of a raw 18 year old who is not ready to contribute is disappointing.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I would agree if he was a player like horvat, lazar, etc. He's a goal scorer, offensive player. If he doesn't get goals and points his confidence will take a hit. In junior he'd be a premier scorer who could help his team win the league and maybe a mem cup. He still had quite a bit to learn from junior at least for one more season. Playing and practising with nhlers means little if you're getting 9 minutes per game doing nothing offensively.

i don't think it was obvious that he was sticking, but maybe it was because to me it's a short sighted PR move. He's not helping the Penguins much right now and they're t helping him much wit his development. A second round pick from the draft that just happened should only make the NHL under extreme circumstances, I.e. If he dominates and blows the socks off of everybody. You can't argue that Sprong is doing that. To waste a year of a raw 18 year old who is not ready to contribute is disappointing.
    What he needs to learn is defense, he wouldn't have to to work on that in junior hockey. I said it before, his skating and his shot are NHL ready, his body is really close to that at worst.

Keeping him up will also allow the Pens to trade a forward for a defender when they get the chance and it gives them flexibility in case of injuries which were the biggest problem the last three years.

Btw i say it again, Sprong was one of the best forwards and he really impressed. I know you only watched that one game against the Senators, but that's probably the reason why you don't understand it.

Oh and talent wise he should have been a top 15 pick.

Dobber Sports Padawan

As a Flames fan, watching SProng last night was a treat. His talent is very visible and he was all over the ice. Best player last night in regards to the eye test.
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Banned

What he needs to learn is defense, he wouldn't have to to work on that in junior hockey. I said it before, his skating and his shot are NHL ready, his body is really close to that at worst.

Keeping him up will also allow the Pens to trade a forward for a defender when they get the chance and it gives them flexibility in case of injuries which were the biggest problem the last three years.

Btw i say it again, Sprong was one of the best forwards and he really impressed. I know you only watched that one game against the Senators, but that's probably the reason why you don't understand it.

Oh and talent wise he should have been a top 15 pick.
    No I didn't only watch one game of his, I have seen a lot of the penguins this year. No need to act all ***** dude I get you're biased and especially being a European you want to see him do well. But this was not a decision that will help him in the long run in my personal opinion. Even if he looked good he is not getting the necessary ice time to actually develop any sort of defensive or offensive game. You want him to succeed so you will say he impresses no matter what he does. He has offensive talent for sure but it's obvious he shouldn't have been a top 15 pick, come on. Don't over rate the guy just because his management has decided to rush him.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I get you're biased and especially being a European you want to see him do well.
    I don't care where he's from and it doesn't matter at all. Thanks for the interesting discussion so far, but you can do that personal shit with somebody else.

Banned

I don't care where he's from and it doesn't matter at all. Thanks for the interesting discussion so far, but you can do that personal shit with somebody else.
    Except you literally just did that with me by saying all I've seen from Sprong is the game vs Ottawa. So yeah try not to be a hypocrite. I'm done here.

Dobber Sports Veteran

5G - 1A for 6pts in 4GP with Wilkes-Barre in the playoff not a bad start.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Titan

Shooting 36% helps just a little. Anyone seen any of the goals and can comment on if he's getting lucky or if he has looked good enough to warrant scoring on every third shot?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Shooting 36% helps just a little. Anyone seen any of the goals and can comment on if he's getting lucky or if he has looked good enough to warrant scoring on every third shot?
    His shot is NHL ready, so is his skating. Here are his two goals against the Hershey Bears, both were just pure skill.

Dobber Sports Titan

Bit of a theme there with the high glove-side shots. Looking good!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Star

Are we looking at Malkin's linemate next year? Or full season in the A?
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    Are we looking at Malkin's linemate next year? Or full season in the A?
    Really depends on who else they bring in. I think he could stick next year, and with a new coach would have a better opportunity to be place in a role where he can thrive.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Really depends on who else they bring in. I think he could stick next year, and with a new coach would have a better opportunity to be place in a role where he can thrive.
    Agreed. Look what Sullivan did for this team - imagine if Sprong was part of that? Unfortunately he was already done in by MJ by then. Next year with a full camp under Sullivan from the get go should mean good things.

Heres hopin
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm expecting Sprong to stick next year, either with Malkin or Crosby. I expect Kunitz to retire or be bought out, and Sheary just isn't a top 6 winger. In fact I'd put Sprong in right now, but that's a tough decision for the coach to make. Despite his playoff, Rust isn't really a top 6 winger either, but I'd rather have him up there over Kunitz and Sheary. Give that shot to Crosby or Malkin so someone can finally finish their feeds.