Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Sprong

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Daniel Sprong

Sprong was really impressive and he's NHL ready. He is creating chances on his own and he almost tied the game yesterday. With him scoring a goal, the whole conversation would have been different.

I agree that he's not playing enough minutes to keep him, but that's not because of Sprong, blame the coach.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    Sprong was really impressive and he's NHL ready. He is creating chances on his own and he almost tied the game yesterday. With him scoring a goal, the whole conversation would have been different.

I agree that he's not playing enough minutes to keep him, but that's not because of Sprong, blame the coach.
    ]Even if he scores a goal my opinion would be the same. If he's only ready to play under ten minutes then he's not ready. I doubt he's truly NHL ready anyway. He's obviously being heavily shletered right now

Dobber Sports Legend

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Pens coach at all. I would move Hornqvist to LW on Sid's line and bring Sprong up to play a couple games with Shrek and Plotnikov.

The Malkin-Hornqvist combo looks horrible - not sure why the coach messed up the chemistry Crosby and Hornqvist had to begin with. Kessel would be better playing with Malkin anyway IMO.

And the Pens need to load up their PP1 and forget about "spreading it out" - they need PP goals.

PP1 should be...

Kessel-Crosby-Hornqvist
    Letang-Malkin

Get enough PP goals and unit 2 won't need to hop over the boards.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Genius

I like his talent a lot but I don't think he stays. There are just too many forwards in Pittsburgh for Sprong to get meaningful minutes so I think they'll send him down and let him play a lot in the minors.

Dobber Sports Expert

Sprong was impressive on that 3rd line and not only because of his goal. He will make it tough for the Pens to send him down.

Dobber Sports Genius

He'll make it tough but with Fehr and Dupuis coming back soon, I think they'll send him down

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by rangerfan2430 View Post
    He'll make it tough but with Fehr and Dupuis coming back soon, I think they'll send him down
    But then again it's the Penguins. When two guys get healthy, four more get hurt.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think the fact that the Penguins struggle offensively right now helps him. They could give him the chance to play on the top 2 lines.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Expert

He won't stick once the injured players return. You are not paying Dupuis 3.75 mill or Fehr 2 mill to sit in the press box for a kid who isn't getting 10 minutes ATOI per game. His development will be best served going back to Charlottetown after his 9 games are up. There is a whole business side to sports that GMs factor into their decisions that really has already made up their minds. Unless he scores over a point a game in in his next 5, it'll be back to juniors for him.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    He won't stick once the injured players return. You are not paying Dupuis 3.75 mill or Fehr 2 mill to sit in the press box for a kid who isn't getting 10 minutes ATOI per game. His development will be best served going back to Charlottetown after his 9 games are up. There is a whole business side to sports that GMs factor into their decisions that really has already made up their minds. Unless he scores over a point a game in in his next 5, it'll be back to juniors for him.
    Or they could send Plotnikov down, who is legitimately showing he doesn't belong, and keep Sprong, who is showing he does. Plus Farnham, Porter, those are the three guys you're sitting in the press box when Feher and Dupuis come back. There's room for everyone.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Or they could send Plotnikov down, who is legitimately showing he doesn't belong, and keep Sprong, who is showing he does. Plus Farnham, Porter, those are the three guys you're sitting in the press box when Feher and Dupuis come back. There's room for everyone.
    Yeah but then you're giving Sprong 4th line minutes (like he was given again last night). Doesn't make sense to keep him. He has been OK - to be kept at that age you should be amazing or fill a specific role. If you're talking about who to give 4th line or 3rd line mins to, then Plotnikov is a better option because he's a grinder type.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Yeah but then you're giving Sprong 4th line minutes (like he was given again last night). Doesn't make sense to keep him. He has been OK - to be kept at that age you should be amazing or fill a specific role. If you're talking about who to give 4th line or 3rd line mins to, then Plotnikov is a better option because he's a grinder type.
    Exactly. The kid (Sprong) is a scorer. If you are going to have him in a scoring role and give him 13-14+ minutes per game, you are just going to ruin his development. Feeding him enforcer type minutes is an absolute waste.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Exactly. The kid (Sprong) is a scorer. If you are going to have him in a scoring role and give him 13-14+ minutes per game, you are just going to ruin his development. Feeding him enforcer type minutes is an absolute waste.
    The counter-argument being is if (when, because it always happens) one (or more than one) of Pittsburgh's top 6 gets hurt, they don't have any talented young scorers to fill that role. Fourth line minutes for Sprong is a mistake. I don't think third line minutes (like last night) are. And I don't actually have any idea if they will or wont keep him. TBH I don't actually care much if they do or don't keep him. But saying they wont because of Fehr and Dupuis returning, and saying that keeping him and playing him third line minutes are wasting him and ruining his development aren't accurate takes. 13-14 minutes per night is just fine for his development. Below 10 isn't.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    The counter-argument being is if (when, because it always happens) one (or more than one) of Pittsburgh's top 6 gets hurt, they don't have any talented young scorers to fill that role. Fourth line minutes for Sprong is a mistake. I don't think third line minutes (like last night) are. And I don't actually have any idea if they will or wont keep him. TBH I don't actually care much if they do or don't keep him. But saying they wont because of Fehr and Dupuis returning, and saying that keeping him and playing him third line minutes are wasting him and ruining his development aren't accurate takes. 13-14 minutes per night is just fine for his development. Below 10 isn't.
    The main question for me is, what is he going to improve if he plays junior hockey ? His shot and his skating are NHL level already, playing juniors will not teach him defense, he will be an offense only force there.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

The main question for me is, what is he going to improve if he plays junior hockey ? His shot and his skating are NHL level already, playing juniors will not teach him defense, he will be an offense only force there.
    very good point. Playing in the NHL, skating with the team at practices, playing some games and watching some from the sky will help him learn defense the best at this stage.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​