Thread: Goalie Lineup Strategy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Goalie Lineup Strategy

This is for the league below in my sig. Start 2 goalies, no GP restrictions.

The goalie cats for the league are odd, in that they minimize the value goalies have in the league. Based on last year's stats even the top goalies averaged very little --Ex: Price was the only goalie over 3pts/game--and most average between 1-2 pts/game.

Am I mistaken, or does that mean that based on the scoring values, goalies in my league almost have a better chance of losing points than gaining them? Am I better off rostering the backups from great teams (teams that will likely win), than starters from mediocre or good teams? Or just streaming easy matchups?

Anyone have an idea for a goalie strategy that they can help me with?

Thanks!
    Yahoo, 1 yr, 10-team, H2H Pts
    G 5, A 2.5, +/- 0.25, SOG 0.5, PPG 1.7, PPA 0.85, SHG 3.4, SHA 1.7, PIM -0.7, HIT 1, BLK 1, GWG 2, FOW .5, FOL -0.2
    GS 1, W 5, L -2, GA -1.15, SA 0.10, SV 0.45, SO 2.5

C (2): O'Reilly, Kopitar
    LW (2): Draisatl, B Tkachuk
    RW (2): Stamkos, J Miller
    D (3): Nurse, Pulock, Risto
    Bench: Horvat, Glendening, Parayko, Seguin (IR)
    G: Shesterkin, Blackwood, Koskinen

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Goalie Lineup Strategy

Your goalie cats are definitely odd. The cat that puts it all out of whack is the -5 for a loss. The difference between a winning goalie and a losing one is a 10 point swing. Ouch. With Saves so low (.1 per save) it still doesn't dig you out of a hole if the goalie loses. And that doesn't even address the goals against.

Take a goalie that makes 30 saves, gives up 3 and takes the loss, he ends up with a -5 (30*.1=3 minus 3GA = 0) -5 for the loss

It's almost better not to play a goalie. I think that I would roster 2G who aren't playing on most occasions. I would only start a G if there is a mismatch (BUF, ARI, etc). It still doesn't guarantee that you won't lose points but it might minimize the bleed. This of course can only be done if you don't have goalie minimums.

You can also try streaming easy matchups but that's a crapshoot as well.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Rehdaun View Post
    Your goalie cats are definitely odd. The cat that puts it all out of whack is the -5 for a loss. The difference between a winning goalie and a losing one is a 10 point swing. Ouch. With Saves so low (.1 per save) it still doesn't dig you out of a hole if the goalie loses. And that doesn't even address the goals against.

Take a goalie that makes 30 saves, gives up 3 and takes the loss, he ends up with a -5 (30*.1=3 minus 3GA = 0) -5 for the loss

It's almost better not to play a goalie. I think that I would roster 2G who aren't playing on most occasions. I would only start a G if there is a mismatch (BUF, ARI, etc). It still doesn't guarantee that you won't lose points but it might minimize the bleed. This of course can only be done if you don't have goalie minimums.

You can also try streaming easy matchups but that's a crapshoot as well.
    Thanks for helping me think this through. I definitely drafted with the low goalie value in mind, so my skaters are extremely strong. If I can figure out a way to minimize my goalie losses, I think I'll be good. It appears punting goalies might be a solid strategy here. I don't have minimum starts, so I can just slot two guys who don't play into my lineup. Or do you think backups like Raanta, Darling, etc., are a good play here?
    Yahoo, 1 yr, 10-team, H2H Pts
    G 5, A 2.5, +/- 0.25, SOG 0.5, PPG 1.7, PPA 0.85, SHG 3.4, SHA 1.7, PIM -0.7, HIT 1, BLK 1, GWG 2, FOW .5, FOL -0.2
    GS 1, W 5, L -2, GA -1.15, SA 0.10, SV 0.45, SO 2.5

C (2): O'Reilly, Kopitar
    LW (2): Draisatl, B Tkachuk
    RW (2): Stamkos, J Miller
    D (3): Nurse, Pulock, Risto
    Bench: Horvat, Glendening, Parayko, Seguin (IR)
    G: Shesterkin, Blackwood, Koskinen

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Average goalie SV% is .910

In a typical 27-shot game, a goalie will:
    make 24.57sv for 2.457pts.
    give up 2.43gaa for -2.43pts

So... yeah, for goalies, it's essentially a W/L/SO situation.
    Whoever set-up your pool put a TON of weight in skaters... and not enough on goalies.

Essentially, I'd recommend that you trade your goalies NOW before the season starts and other teams are hip to the value.
    Offer C.Anderson to/if anybody holding Hammond.
    Offer Elliott to if/anybody holding Allen.
    Offer Niemi to if/anybody holding Lehtonen.

Those will fetch you best returns.
    Assuming there is no MaxGP at any position - scheduling is critical for you.
    You want to avoid skater-benchings... so you'll spend the entire season pre-setting your line-ups weeks in advance.

I do this:
    1. Do a week worth of daily-sets. If you bench a guy, write down his name & night benched. If you have a free position any night, write it down: Tuesday: none, Wednesday: F&D, Thurs: 1D open, etc.
    2. Then, you comb the waiver wire for anybody that will get you starts.

Of note - I would probably hold ONE or TWO goalies in your starter slots - even if they are crap back-ups.
    If you don't, people will get hip to your strategy... which you shouldn't divulge too soon in season.

Good luck.