Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2015/16 DobberHockey Experts League!

The Great One

Default Re: 2015/16 DobberHockey Experts League!

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Updated "Reach Factor" based on all four Dobber league drafts:
    [Most Negative Value means a lot of players taken well before their ADP.]

+7.9 Sat Night Special
    +3.6 The Comish
    +2.3 Laying the Law
    +0.9 Daoust Dynasty
    -0.4 The Goods
    -1.8 HolyPuck
    -4.0 Top 10 finish
    -4.3 Last Resort
    -6.2 LeBlanc's Legion
    -14.1 rizzee dizzee
    -15.4 5 for Fighting
    -16.6 Elder's Mind Tricks
    -30.1 Contra Dictions

Interpretation in conjunction with Temek's Projected Standings:
    High in Temek Standings & High in Reach Value - suggests team value-drafted players wrongfully passed over by other GMs
    High in Temek Standings & Low in Reach Value - suggests team is reaching for the RIGHT players
    Low in Temek Standings & High in Reach Value - suggests team took bad players rightfully passed over by other GMs (ex. JVR)
    Low in Temek Standings & Low in Reach Value - suggests team is reaching for the WRONG players
    What do you mean by Temek Standings? I saw ITT that he named three teams as ones he liked - was there more than that?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    What do you mean by Temek Standings? I saw ITT that he named three teams as ones he liked - was there more than that?
    Pengwin just assumed I had posted my projected standings for this league as I had done for the Entry and Pro leagues. I thought I did too, but apparently I forgot. Fixed some small errors so rankings changed slightly, but nothing significant.

Obviously the prediction is heavily biased towards my team so wouldn't pay much attention that my team is at the top by quite a margin. It more or less means just that I did draft well relative to my projections and would mean pretty much nothing if my projections are poor. You can see I have The Comish slightly ahead of the pack and then everyone else is pretty much tied as 10 pts is very little when it comes to projections. Several teams are also projected to not reach 164 GP in goalies so could gain ground there if they fix that as 2 of 3 goalie categories are quantity-based.

Rank Team Skater pts Goalie pts Total pts
    1 Last Resort 74 31 105
    2 The Comish 44 30 74
    3 Elder's Mind Tricks 33 30 63
    4 rizzeedizzee's Team 34 27 61
    5 5 For Fighting 36 24 60
    6 HolyPuck 52 8 60
    7 Sat. Night Special 52 7 59
    8 Daoust Dynasty 38 20 58
    9 LeBlanc's Legion 33 24 57
    10 The Goods 40 17 57
    11 Top 10 finish 39 18 57
    12 Laying the Law 36 20 56
    13 Contra Dictions 35 17 52

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by temek View Post
    Pengwin just assumed I had posted my projected standings for this league as I had done for the Entry and Pro leagues. I thought I did too, but apparently I forgot. Fixed some small errors so rankings changed slightly, but nothing significant.

Obviously the prediction is heavily biased towards my team so wouldn't pay much attention that my team is at the top by quite a margin. It more or less means just that I did draft well relative to my projections and would mean pretty much nothing if my projections are poor. You can see I have The Comish slightly ahead of the pack and then everyone else is pretty much tied as 10 pts is very little when it comes to projections. Several teams are also projected to not reach 164 GP in goalies so could gain ground there if they fix that as 2 of 3 goalie categories are quantity-based.

1 Last Resort 74 31 105
    2 The Comish 44 30 74
    6 HolyPuck 52 8 60
    10 The Goods 40 17 57
    Wow - unlike for the other three drafts there are a lot of 180s from the ADP list that Pengwin posted. Very interesting to say the least.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by temek View Post

1 Last Resort 74 31 105
    2 The Comish 44 30 74
    6 HolyPuck 52 8 60
    10 The Goods 40 17 57
    So I'm the second worst in terms of reach and second best in Temek standings (not including Temek who is first by definition). Interesting.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by austeane View Post
    So I'm the second worst in terms of reach and second best in Temek standings (not including Temek who is first by definition). Interesting.
    Yup - teams 3, 4, and 5 in Temek's list were second from last, fourth from last, and third from last in the ADP "Reach" list, while the third best ADP Reach team was second to last here. Only The Comish should be resting easy as being near the top in both.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by austeane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Yup - teams 3, 4, and 5 in Temek's list were second from last, fourth from last, and third from last in the ADP "Reach" list, while the third best ADP Reach team was second to last here. Only The Comish should be resting easy as being near the top in both.

Yeah, it's interesting.
    The "Reach Factor" is not necessarily a bad thing.
    In leagues with keener GMs, there can often be a NEED to reach to get a player that you know will go early.

For example, Dustin Byfuglien went 10th overall in the PRO.
    Buff is Yahoo O-Ranked at #38.
    Buff is mass Yahoo league ADP'd at 38.7.
    Buff is Dobber league ADP'd at 21.3
    And I'd bet Buff's D-stats over 82gp would shake out in FHG to a top 8 player.

So... there's nothing wrong with reaching for him if he's best player on the board.
    Drafting him at #10 (when his ADP is 21.3) means there will be a negative reach factor associated with him... but again, it's not necessarily a bad thing.
    The best overall value in drafting is to get a player as late-as-possible - which increases his draft-position-relative-value.
    But there's still good-to-great value in simply getting a player that is the best on the board, in one's opinion.

"Reach Factor" will be met with the same sort of "opinion" as +/-... which is my favourite basic NHL stat (advanced stats such as Corsi/Fenwick are much better than pure +/-, but for a long-time we didn't have them).
    There's people that will bash +/- simply because they think a stat that can peg Jeff Schultz at +50 and Alex Ovechkin at -30 is a stupid stat with zero value.
    If you have the eyes to look deeper (to know that Jeff Schultz was Mike Green's D-partner... or that Dallas Smith was once Bobby Orr's partner)... you can actually extract something from it... with context.
    One would know when to put stock in the stat (Lidstrom/Orr) and when to not (Jeff Schultz, Dallas Smith).

Especially in combination with Temek's Projected Standings (which are excellent - for player projection value)... I think there's information that one can extract w.r.t. how the GM drafted: reaching well, reaching poorly, passing on overvalued players, taking advantage of passed-over players, etc....

There is meaning, IMO, to having the combination of a NEGATIVE "Reach Factor" and finishing or being predicted in upper half of standings.
    And the meaning actually reflects a good trait in a GM.

[I feel the need to green/italicize/underline this part because it feels like some of you are reacting like: Pengwin be bashing my draft with his "Reach Factor"... so now Ima bash Pengwins work... um, not so... not so... numbers are just numbers, not opinion.]

We now have "advanced analytics" with regard to hockey stats.
    Someday, in the future, you'll see fantasy football pools... the very, very high-stakes serious ones... with advanced analytics about GM-draft-tendencies. Think about that!
    [The high-stakes fantasy people will start collecting data on what other GMs draft - the way Netflix collects data about what we all watch. Many of my own common leaguemates... if you asked them "How's Pengwin gonna draft?"... they could tell you.]
    Consider "Reach Factor" as your first foray into that!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Regarding reaching, in this draft I could tell that Edler's Mind Tricks was drafting off a FHG list and taking the best player regardless of Yahoo rank. I had the same list. I tried to wait and get more value in the Smythe and was often sniped by Streit Outta Compton. In the end, by Temek's rankings, both "reachers" are projected to do better than myself. I think among GM's who are going to draft by actual league value reaching according to Yahoo rank is the way to go. Now, this reach rank isn't strictly by Yahoo so there is informed context and it mostly provides strategic information about individual drafting preferences. I think.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by duntroon68 View Post
    in this draft I could tell that Edler's Mind Tricks was drafting off a FHG list
    I believe most people were using FHG.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Say it ain't so!
    Not the experts!!!

I love the concept & learning power of FHG... but using it "in-draft"... oh mercy... ... I don't want to drop the c-word for fear of the backlash I've received in the past...
    We had several in "PRO" that were obviously using it too...
    We pengwins know a robot when we see one!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

But Edler's was taking players where they were ranked while others were trying to split the difference. Although in the Pro league more drafted like Edler's. Buff and Subban in round 1, Backstrom and MaxPac in the 2nd, Andersen in 3, OEL in 4 and Faulk in 5 are all ranked higher in this format by FHG than in Yahoo. Some went close in Experts: Karlsson and OEL. But when Edler's took OEL in 3 and especially Jack Johnson in 8, when Yahoo had him 226, I thought "I've seen this list and he's not trying to get the discount." But given Temek's rankings perhaps the discount wasn't worth waiting on. I tried for the value and often missed out.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Here's my team's breakdown, pick by pick, from the Sunday Ramblings:

http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-r...ember-27-2015/
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I tried FHG in one draft last year and felt very uncomfortable with where to take guys. This year, I put more time into my own rankings/predictions and felt much better about my draft outcome by "winging" it. FHG is a fantastic tool, but it's only as good as the numbers you use to generate your player values and you still really need to figure out when to take guys to take advantage of their relative value in your league. Like I said, I simplified this year and feel pretty good going forward.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ace

I had less time to organize for this pool than I would have liked, so I decided to go with the FHG as my primary list, and augment from there. The thought being that it should prevent me from making stupid moves, while I can still decide (from the relatively few notes I had) on better moves.

Unfortunately, I scrambled a couple of times from connection issues, life interruptions and FHG crashing, and that's where most of my reaches came from.
    OEL I like a lot, and I think he will do really well this year and being the offensive defensemen along with hopefully a good PP... I could have waited maybe till the 4th round, but that wasn't a bad pick.

Johnson was a reach and one of my misses. The players I had queued up were taken, and my connection was being weird. I had a couple of other bad picks as well, but I don't think that using FHG as a base is a terrible thing with limited prep. For me, I think without the picks I knew immediately were bad, I would have been higher up in the reach rankings while still high in the Temek rankings.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I tried FHG in one draft last year and felt very uncomfortable with where to take guys. This year, I put more time into my own rankings/predictions and felt much better about my draft outcome by "winging" it. FHG is a fantastic tool, but it's only as good as the numbers you use to generate your player values and you still really need to figure out when to take guys to take advantage of their relative value in your league. Like I said, I simplified this year and feel pretty good going forward.
    This is my basic approach as well. I use FHG to formulate my own rankings of sorts, especially when deciding between two seemingly similar players and to open my eyes about guys I might've otherwise over/undervalued.

Administrator

Even with FHG there's plenty of key decisions to make and scrambling. It only sorts players based on the projections. Doesn't account for accuracy of those numbers or player value.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust