Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: 2015/16 DobberHockey Experts League!

The Magnificent One

Default Re: 2015/16 DobberHockey Experts League!

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I have some issues with the format but this is actually normal for one-year leagues. This is what happens when teams realize they don't have a shot at 1st.
    Not in my other one year leagues, or at least not to this widespread of an extent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Any league will be a reflection of the fantasy hockey passion of the GMs.
    This is a blanket statement and just patently wrong.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Administrator

We really need to do away with the weekly bullshit.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Magnificent One

We really need to do away with the weekly bullshit.
    What would really help is making it a league where there's more reward for actual fantasy knowledge - fewer teams but more players drafted and rostered, fewer waiver wire moves, not daily transactions. Oh, and ditching Yahoo......ah, to dream...........
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    What would really help is making it a league where there's more reward for actual fantasy knowledge - fewer teams but more players drafted and rostered, fewer waiver wire moves, not daily transactions. Oh, and ditching Yahoo......ah, to dream...........
    Daily transaction leagues still face the max GP limitations. Requires skill to fill those out with max quality. Plus this setup would reflect the preference of most of the others in the league.

The Magnificent One

Daily transaction leagues still face the max GP limitations. Requires skill to fill those out with max quality. Plus this setup would reflect the preference of most of the others in the league.
    This is the main issue - we keep things in place because of two reasons (1) it's what they use in the "lower" leagues, and (2) it's what everyone purportedly wants. Maybe if things were looked at truly anew we could come up with a truly utilitarian solution, rather than just continuing to march ahead with more of the same, which I think we can all admit doesn't seem to be working and all likely could agree is not ideal by any stretch. Who says we have to stick with what the lesser leagues do? Why is that an unwritten rule? I never understood that and I feel that by clinging to it we're handcuffed.

Administrator

I never understood that and I feel that by clinging to it we're handcuffed.
    We're not handcuffed. People can like whatever they want to like.

The Magnificent One

We're not handcuffed. People can like whatever they want to like.
    What I meant is handcuffed in terms of stick to the same format and categories as the lower leagues. Why must that be?

Administrator

What I meant is handcuffed in terms of stick to the same format and categories as the lower leagues. Why must that be?
    I've never given much attention to the other leagues. I'm only really concerned with putting together a league that suits the staff members. Based on our poll from October the weekly stuff isn't overly popular among our group.

The Wolverine

I don't understand why changes were not made to suit the majority of managers in your league. You were not handcuffed, heck I would even say the Expert league has dictated what has been done in the other leagues.

As for being similar to the other leagues, I always believed the reason was that this was a three-tiered invitational, to encourage members to join a Dobber-exclusive set of leagues, in the hopes to progress upwards and hopefully to compete against the writers. It was one big set of leagues, rather than a bunch of individual ones. Now, being the newly appointed administrator of the Pro and Entry leagues, I have no issue if you want to change your settings to suit the majority, as I feel it's important you have the most engaged and committed managers.

Regarding lack of interest if you don't have a chance at winning, well that tells me those managers don't really care about the league. That's my opinion, and it's not necessarily a negative. People have other priorities, leagues etc, and that's fine. But I feel that if you aren't willing to put in a full effort regardless of your position then maybe Roto is not the type of league for that manager. I know I'm generalising. It shouldn't be normal, especially in the Expert league, that managers give up because they aren't winning. In the Dobber leagues, and in my RHRS, we are very active and have managers who will fight for every category until the very end, no matter the position. This is my ultimate goal for the Dobber leagues, to have managers who enjoy playing, enjoy the competition, enjoy doing what it takes to improve right to the end. Heck, I've been near the bottom of the Pro league for awhile, but I was determined to improve and knew I wasn't as bad as a thought. Now I'm 7th, and have an outside shot at top 5. That's a success for me, and I will work on it until the end.

The other reason I feel it's important that the Expert league managers are fully committed all season is that it encourages those of us in the Pro and Entry leagues to have something to entice us to keep trying to gain that promotion for the chance to beat you guys. We're a collective, it's important that we do things to help make these leagues enjoyable and grow in the future. What I'm wondering if the majority of you would rather do things yourselves and separate from the invitational altogether? I don't want that, but I do want what's best for each group of managers. If I'm going to put in the effort to grow this invitational, I need to know if we're on the same page or not.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Heading into the final weekend, here are the current standings: 

1 Last Resort 109
    2 HolyPuck 82
    3 Daoust Dynasty 79
    4 The Comish 77
    5 LeBlanc's Legion 72
    6 Laying the Law 67.5
    7 Top 10 finish 67
    7 The Goods 67
    9 rizzeedizzee's Team 58
    10 5 For Fighting 46.5
    11 Edler's Mind Tricks 37.5
    12 Sat. Night Special 35.5
    13 Contra Dictions 21

So temek is essentially lapping the field here. Very humbling and kudos to him. I may not even finish on the podium, which I thought was going to be a lock most of the season due to that Daoust character being harder to put down than a Terminator model T-850.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Review of the projections suggest overall prediction were fairly good overall although 2nd/3rd place teams were predicted to finish in the mid-table in spots 5,8 respectively. Predictions placed teams from 3rd to 12th place within 7 pts range though which is pretty much nothing when it comes to predictions so there wasn't much of a difference between most teams. Biggest overachievers relative to the predictions were HolyPuck and Daoust Dynasty and biggest underachievers Contra Dictions, Edler's Mind Tricks and Sat. Night Special.

Check the spreadsheet Dobber Expert 2015-2016 Standings predictions.zip for more details.

Proj Final Dif Proj Final Dif Proj Final Dif
    Rank Team Pts Rank Pts Rank Pts Rank Ska Pts Ska Rank Ska Pts Ska Rank Ska Pts Ska Rank G Pts G Rank G Pts G Rank G Pts G Rank
    1 Last Resort 105 1 108 1 3 0 74 1 75 1 1 0 31 1 33 2 2 -1
    2 The Comish 74 2 77 4 3 -2 44 4 43 7 -1 -3 30 2 34 1 4 1
    3 Edler's Mind Tricks 63 3 36,5 11 -26,5 -8 33 12 19 12 -14 0 30 2 17,5 10 -12,5 -8
    4 rizzeedizzee's Team 61 4 60 9 -1 -5 34 11 35 9 1 2 27 4 25 5 -2 -1
    5 5 For Fighting 60 5 45 10 -15 -5 36 8 32 10 -4 -2 24 5 13 11 -11 -6
    6 HolyPuck 60 5 82 2 22 3 52 2 55 3 3 -1 8 12 27 4 19 8
    7 Sat. Night Special 59 7 36 12 -23 -5 52 2 25 11 -27 -9 7 13 11 12 4 1
    8 Daoust Dynasty 58 8 79 3 21 5 38 7 58 2 20 5 20 7 21 7 1 0
    9 LeBlanc's Legion 57 9 71 5 14 4 33 12 42 8 9 4 24 5 29 3 5 2
    10 The Goods 57 9 69 6 12 3 40 5 47 6 7 -1 17 10 22 6 5 4
    11 Top 10 finish 57 9 68 7 11 2 39 6 49 4 10 2 18 9 19 8 1 1
    12 Laying the Law 56 12 66,5 8 10,5 4 36 8 48 5 12 3 20 7 18,5 9 -1,5 -2
    13 Contra Dictions 52 13 21 13 -31 0 35 10 18 13 -17 -3 17 10 3 13 -14 -3
    Average 14,04 3,23 8,77 2,46 6,19 2,77
    Correlation 0,63 0,37 0,61 0,55 0,45 0,45

Administrator

I'm just glad we don't use save percentage. My win in another league is under dispute and I will probably end up finishing second...

Banned

Last Resort, wow, domination! What column does he write?