Thread: MAF vs Rask

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default MAF vs Rask

One year daily start H2H W, SV, SV%, GAA, SO - who'd you rather own this year?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: MAF vs Rask

I prefer Rask by a hair.

He's the more talented goalie, will probably start more games than any other goalie, and I think Fleury - while he will play pretty well this year - will have some games where he gets absolutely lit up. At the end of the year, I actually think they will post similar stats - but I think Rask will be a little bit more consistent and will post a bit more saves. So when it comes down to two goalies that I think are neck and neck, that is what makes my decision.

The Great One

In a one-year league, I'd go with MAF. Sure he might get lite up a few times, but in H2H....I think you'll win more often with the Penguin's goalie than the Bruin's goalie.

Dobber Sports Deity

Hmm, close one. I normally say Rask but for some reason, in a one year league, I am thinking MAF is the better option this year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Rask is more talented but with Boston going through a bit of a transition year, I'd rather have Fleury this year and see how Boston's dust settles from afar.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm going to add a little bit more here to further support my Rask stance.

In Boston's "bad year" last year, here is Rask's stat line:
    34 Wins, 2.30 GAA, 1855 Saves, .922 Sv%

Fleury's stats last year:
    34 Wins, 2.32 GAA, 1685 Saves, .920 Sv%

Rask was the more valuable goalie, despite Boston missing playoffs. Rask was also the more valuable goalie, despite it being the worst stats he has posted in the last 4 years. Rask was also the more valuable goalie, despite Fleury posting the best GAA/Sv%/Saves combination he has posted in the past 11 years (aka. his entire career).

What I'm saying is one goalie had a team that didn't make the playoffs and he had a down-year stats wise, and still outperformed the goalie who had one of the best years of his career on a team that made playoffs. Everyone is making way too much of Boston's changes when it comes to Rask, IMO.

The only way I am going Fleury this year is if you think he will start close to 70 games, and you think Rask will not. An argument could be made for that, but I'm banking on the more talented goalie in Rask.

But as I said in my initial post (perhaps contrary to what this post says), I do think it is very close.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Rask for me. Even on a worse team, I feel more confident in Rask. MAF may have the edge in Wins but that's about it.

Great post, jcairns.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

MAF simply because PIT is a much better team and MAF has been pretty good in regular season in the past. Rask is expected to play a few games less this year also.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post

Rask was the more valuable goalie, despite Boston missing playoffs. Rask was also the more valuable goalie, despite it being the worst stats he has posted in the last 4 years. Rask was also the more valuable goalie, despite Fleury posting the best GAA/Sv%/Saves combination he has posted in the past 11 years (aka. his entire career).

What I'm saying is one goalie had a team that didn't make the playoffs and he had a down-year stats wise, and still outperformed the goalie who had one of the best years of his career on a team that made playoffs. Everyone is making way too much of Boston's changes when it comes to Rask, IMO.

The only way I am going Fleury this year is if you think he will start close to 70 games, and you think Rask will not. An argument could be made for that, but I'm banking on the more talented goalie in Rask.

But as I said in my initial post (perhaps contrary to what this post says), I do think it is very close.
    Really solid post here (rep to you).

I'd also typically favor Rask -- and obviously in a keeper format -- but in a 1 year league, give me MAF.

Recognizing and respecting the stats analysis from last year, one thing lept to mind: in my opinion, the Pens improved this offseason; the Bruins, by most accounts, have taken a step backwards.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov

Dobber Sports Stud

Fleury for sure.

It doesn't matter if Rask is more talented. What matters is who will get the better numbers - from a fantasy standpoint. This is especially true in a 1 year. I expect the Pens to contend for the President's Trophy this year, meanwhile I think Boston will be hard-pressed to make the playoffs.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post
    Fleury for sure.

It doesn't matter if Rask is more talented. What matters is who will get the better numbers - from a fantasy standpoint. This is especially true in a 1 year. I expect the Pens to contend for the President's Trophy this year, meanwhile I think Boston will be hard-pressed to make the playoffs.
    MAF may post more wins than Rask but I doubt he'll better Rask in the other categories. Look at MAF's career numbers.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post

Huge 'second' on this. I'd take Rask, but both are great goalies.
    10 Team, Weekly H2H (Set Daily), 31-Player, No Cap, Dynasty League

Categories: G, A, +/-, Hits, PPP, ATOI, SOG, W, S%, GAA

F: Crosby,
    Seguin, Kessel, Malkin, Tarasenko, Laine, Hall, Pacioretty, Panarin, Gaudreau, Kuznetsov, Kucherov, Eichel, Monahan, Krejci, Huberdeau, Scheifele, Drouin, S. Reinhart, Radulov

D: Karlsson, Hedman, Shattenkirk,
    Barrie, Hamilton, Gostisbehere, Vatanen

G: Rask, Fleury, Dubnyk, Schneider

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I favor Rask for exactly what jcairns outlined (awesome post!), but I am getting less and less confident. The Boston D is collapsing in front of us. He can't do it all on his own...