Thread: Roll the dice with Mason?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Roll the dice with Mason?

Keeping Lundqvist and Fleury, so I feel secure in goal. I'm looking for some insurance though, a dependable #3 I can count on for spot-starts and such.

I was thinking of grabbing Raanta (to lock in all NYR starts, usually a safe bet), but I noticed Mason wasn't kept and should be available around my first draft spot (first pick is in the second round, 18th overall). What do we think? Has PHI improved this year? They have 8 defensemen signed (I think), but none are incredibly good, which is a knock against.

Here are my league's top 25 available forwards and defensemen, as well as the top 25 available goaltenders.

Please share your thoughts, thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16 Teams - Full Dynasty Keeper - H2H - 23 Players - 5 Farm Team - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Roll the dice with Mason?

Definitely feel good about Mason as your 3rd starter especially with Lundy and MAF as your top guys. Mason is very underrated.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think Mason is a good choice, but with your solid goaltenders already, I'd say go for a high-producing forward (Foligno, Backes, Wheeler - all good with PIMS and point production) and settle for an Elliot or Pavelec (which is still pretty good) for your 3rd goalie. I'd say you could sacrifice a goalie pick for a good strong forward that's available. Get a goalie round #2 is my advice!
    FANTASY LEAGUE: "Hockey Night on Hoth" (est. 2012)
    TEAM NAME: "The Barrelriders"

FORMAT: H2H Keeper League (Keep 4 - no more than two per position)
    TEAM FORMAT: 12 Teams, 17 Players per Team (3C, 4W, 3D, 2G, 5Util)
    STAT CATS: G, A, P, PPP, FW, Shots, Hits, Blocks | Wins, SVS, GAA, SV%

MY TEAM:

C | N. Mackinnon,
    W | J. Benn, J. Pavelski
    D |
    G | A. Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think you'll get MORE value out of late-drafting Raanta, then you will by early drafting Mason.

I haven't checked, but playing in the same division, NYR & PIT & PHI probably have a LOT of overlapping games.
    If your two goalies are Lundqvist/Fleury in a start 2G... then EVERY Raanta start, you'll have a spot for him.
    But you'll end up benching Mason a lot due to conflict.

Maybe a round 8 replacement pick for 17 spots starts (with a guaranteed slot) for Raanta
    or
    Maybe a round 1 or 2 replacement pick for 25 starts (with ~35 conflict-benchings) for S.Mason

That'll be roughly the difference, IMO.
    Better to get another skater... and late-draft the NYR/PIT back-ups, IMO.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I think you'll get MORE value out of late-drafting Raanta, then you will by early drafting Mason.

I haven't checked, but playing in the same division, NYR & PIT & PHI probably have a LOT of overlapping games.
    If your two goalies are Lundqvist/Fleury in a start 2G... then EVERY Raanta start, you'll have a spot for him.
    But you'll end up benching Mason a lot due to conflict.

Maybe a round 8 replacement pick for 17 spots starts (with a guaranteed slot) for Raanta
    or
    Maybe a round 1 or 2 replacement pick for 25 starts (with ~35 conflict-benchings) for S.Mason

That'll be roughly the difference, IMO.
    Better to get another skater... and late-draft the NYR/PIT back-ups, IMO.
    Couldn't of said it better. I'd go for the best forward available with your first pick, then grab Raanta later.

Dobber Sports Ace

I wouldn't draft Raanta in the first round. I don't think he's guaranteed a spot as the Rags back-up. They also traded for Magnus Hellberg as well. I would draft a skater and wait on selecting your 3rd goalie.
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Active Roster consists of: 6 FW, 4 D, 2 G and 6 Bench.
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

FW: ​Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Keller, Jarvis, Barbashev, Kyrou, Raymond
    D: Dobson, Nurse, Sergachev, Andersson, Zadorov, York
    G: Oettinger, Raanta, Copley, Vejmelka
    IR: Hamilton
    Farm (165 games for F/D and 100 games for G): Wolf, Fantilli

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by MJ Flex View Post
    I wouldn't draft Raanta in the first round. I don't think he's guaranteed a spot as the Rags back-up. They also traded for Magnus Hellberg as well. I would draft a skater and wait on selecting your 3rd goalie.
    Who is recommending draft Raanta first round?
    (read more carefully...)

Dobber Sports Ace

Who is recommending draft Raanta first round?
    (read more carefully...)
    I am..

"I was thinking of grabbing Raanta (to lock in all NYR starts, usually a safe bet)..."

Just reconfirming that Raanta wouldn't be a good selection in the first even if Mason was not available.

Need to chill on the criticism.
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Active Roster consists of: 6 FW, 4 D, 2 G and 6 Bench.
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

FW: ​Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Keller, Jarvis, Barbashev, Kyrou, Raymond
    D: Dobson, Nurse, Sergachev, Andersson, Zadorov, York
    G: Oettinger, Raanta, Copley, Vejmelka
    IR: Hamilton
    Farm (165 games for F/D and 100 games for G): Wolf, Fantilli

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by MJ Flex View Post
    I am..

"I was thinking of grabbing Raanta (to lock in all NYR starts, usually a safe bet)..."

Just reconfirming that Raanta wouldn't be a good selection in the first even if Mason was not available.

Need to chill on the criticism.
    It's not criticism.
    You haven't added any value in your response, because you've read it poorly.
    Here's what he wrote:
    I was thinking of grabbing Raanta (to lock in all NYR starts, usually a safe bet), but I noticed Mason wasn't kept and [Mason] should be available around my first draft spot (first pick is in the second round, 18th overall).

It's quite clear (to me, at least) that he's considering a plan where his 3rd goalie would be Mason... Mason, using his first pick (instead of drafting Raanta much, much later - fair assumption).
    If he was debating between Raanta & S.Mason at his first overall pick that's how this thread would've read: "Should I pick Raanta or S.Mason?"

Dobber Sports Genius

Well I guess to answer your first point, yes Mason would probably be the best #3 goalie in your league, he's more like a top end #2 goalie but you have so much top end in Lundy and MAF you don't really need to go that hard. Unless there is a serious lack of top end skaters at your pick I would pass on Mason and grab one of those. There are actually a few decent options for a #3 from that list, a guy like Ramo, Elliott or Raanta can probably be found later
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Prodigy

It's quite clear (to me, at least) that he's considering a plan where his 3rd goalie would be Mason... Mason, using his first pick (instead of drafting Raanta much, much later - fair assumption).
    If he was debating between Raanta & S.Mason at his first overall pick that's how this thread would've read: "Should I pick Raanta or S.Mason?"
    Yes, exactly. I wouldn't draft Raanta with one of my first few picks, but rather grab him in later rounds.

On another note, I have a feeling someone might swoop in and grab Mason ahead of where I'd like to get him, so I think the advice in this thread pretty much solidifies that I should focus on forwards and not worry about a third goalie.
    16 Teams - Full Dynasty Keeper - H2H - 23 Players - 5 Farm Team - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Genius

Mason would be an excellent 3rd goalie, though with your current goaltending you could get away with having a merely good goalie later on and receive a bigger boost with a skater. Besides, I wouldn't get my hopes up on the top available goalie lasting 18 picks to make it to you as there will likely be other GMs in desperate need of a solid 2nd G.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar