Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do I still want rask over Holtby?

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Do I still want rask over Holtby?

Not a chance would I want Rask over Holtby, one is trending WAY up and the other WAY down with how their teams are trending.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Prodigy

My vote is for Holtby.
    And I think that after this season, we won't be having this discussion. Not that Rask will be bad, just that Hotlby will show that last season wasn't a fluke.
    I think they're trending in different directions.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    You are using just one year in your analysis. Holtby could have had a career year last season and Rask's was his worst as a starter. I'm pretty confident that Rask will beat Holtby in SV% and S (since he'll play more). GAA may go either way and Wins will be Holtby's. But Rask is the better player hence my choice.
    Why do you assume Rask will play more? I think Holtby's league leading 73 starts last year was not a one-time thing, he's a workhorse goalie and you'll see big start numbers like that year after year.

As for the overall question in this thread, let's face it, it's really close. Both goalies are elite, Rask may be a touch better goalie overall but when you factor in team around him, Holtby is clearly in a better situation. One big difference though, mentality. I see Holtby a being a much calmer, moderated goalie, kind of like a Carey Price - you don't see him yell at teammates after goals, you don't see the huge outbursts (or at least they are rare). With Rask, different story. So that might be a factor I consider in choosing Holtby if I had to go with one or the other, that plus the fact that the Caps are going to be a contending team for, oh, the next 5-6 years I'd say.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Why do you assume Rask will play more? I think Holtby's league leading 73 starts last year was not a one-time thing, he's a workhorse goalie and you'll see big start numbers like that year after year.

As for the overall question in this thread, let's face it, it's really close. Both goalies are elite, Rask may be a touch better goalie overall but when you factor in team around him, Holtby is clearly in a better situation. One big difference though, mentality. I see Holtby a being a much calmer, moderated goalie, kind of like a Carey Price - you don't see him yell at teammates after goals, you don't see the huge outbursts (or at least they are rare). With Rask, different story. So that might be a factor I consider in choosing Holtby if I had to go with one or the other, that plus the fact that the Caps are going to be a contending team for, oh, the next 5-6 years I'd say.
    I think Rask plays more because there is no capable back-up at this moment (this could change if the Bruins find one). Last year, Peters sucked and Holtby was forced to start a few more games than he normally would. Grubauer is a good back-up and I expect him to start about 20 games.

As far as talent, Rask is clearly the better goalie at this point. Holtby might surpass him but he's not there yet. I like to pick the better player in general.

I don't think Holtby is as good as the general perception. One more year of stellar numbers might convince me but right now I'm taking Rask, although it is a close one because of the difference between the Caps and Bruins.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Pro

I know BOS is trending down and WSH is trending up but I find it odd that people are so down on Rask.

The team had an off year and so did he, yet his stats were very comparable to Holtby's who had a career year along with his team.

Krejci missed almost half the season, Lucic had lost a step (in LA), CHARA missed 20 games and took longer to get back into game shape. Julien will have them playing a much tighter brand of D, with Chara and Siedenberg playing half the game. Their whole right side is improved with Connolly and the hope Griffiths and Pastrnak improve. Krug was developing as a better all round D last year and yes the departure of Hamilton hurts a ton, but it almost forces this team back to it's old defensive ways.

I am not saying that Boston will be a great team, but when they revert to a Rask friendly defensive system and allow Tukka to do his thing, he may make us all remember why we considered him one of the best prospects and goalies in all of hockey not long ago.

I understand going with Holtby for the wins, hoping that WSH is ready to roll this year, it "should happen" that way. Would it be a shock to have Holtby revert a bit and Rask bounce back or vice versa? Would you be surprised if Holtby struggled? Does the contract pressure matter?

If I have the option to buy low on Rask right now, I am doing it. Can't wait to look at the numbers at the end of the year.