Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Terrible goalies remaining

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Terrible goalies remaining

Quote Originally Posted by gfhyde View Post
    I may end up doing this. Some guys have 3 goalies for some reason and they haven't finished drafting Forwards or Dmen. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense with our setup, but that's not my fault One guy has Fleury, Varlamov and Jake Allen. I'm looking at him right now.
    Sure it makes sense. In a 16 team H2H with 3/5 stats being volume based, I'd sure as hell want 3 goalies, maybe 4. Besides, in a 16 team league, you could hold them for ransom!

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    Sure it makes sense. In a 16 team H2H with 3/5 stats being volume based, I'd sure as hell want 3 goalies, maybe 4. Besides, in a 16 team league, you could hold them for ransom!
    I always like when you reply to my threads lol

Maybe the ransom scenario is what this guy's thinkin then. There are still a few top teams that have clear #1's (Price, Quick, etc) and no second goalie yet. It's kind of nuts.

I should have mentioned off the top that I fully plan on finishing last this year. I mean, I don't want to tank from the get-go, but based on where I started picking, I don't stand much of a chance. I'd still like to make the minimum starts each week!
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Star

Well let's be totally clear: there's a huge advantage in this type of setup to having 3 rostered goalies and maximizing goalie GP. So without 2 fulltime starters you're completely and royally screwed.

Be strategically coherent here! If you're already resigned to finishing near the bottom, why even gun for higher? I'd be drafting goalies and players purely for trade value so you can concentrate production in future years when your ability to compete is higher. So forget "average expectation" for these players, gun for rebounds and breakouts. Ward might have a great year and turn it around, or get traded. Potential big bump in value. Same thing with Mike Smith.

Be careful of group think, and remember that the young goalie usually doesn't supplant the vet. In the summer of 2010 everyone on these forums had annointed Rask and wouldn't touch Tim Thomas with a 10-foot pole. He wasn't kept in many keeper leagues and could be had for a song. What he do? Put up two 35 win seasons (one of which won a Vezina!) with goofy peripherals that pretty much won leagues for the GMs that had the balls to think against the crowd.

There is no downside for you this year. You're screwed anyway. Swing for the freaking fences!

Dobber Sports Star

Well let's be totally clear: there's a huge advantage in this type of setup to having 3 rostered goalies and maximizing goalie GP. So without 2 fulltime starters you're completely and royally screwed.

Be strategically coherent here! If you're already resigned to finishing near the bottom, why even gun for higher? I'd be drafting goalies and players purely for trade value so you can concentrate production in future years when your ability to compete is higher. So forget "average expectation" for these players, gun for rebounds. Ward might have a great year and turn it around, or get traded. Potential big bump in value. Same thing with Mike Smith.

Be careful of group think, and remember that the young goalie usually doesn't supplant the vet. In the summer of 2010 everyone on these forums had annointed Rask and wouldn't touch Tim Thomas with a 10-foot pole. He wasn't kept in many keeper leagues and could be had for a song. What he do? Put up two 35 win seasons with goofy peripherals that pretty much won leagues for the GMs that had the balls to think against the crowd.

There is no downside for you this year. You're screwed anyway. Swing for the freaking fences!
    Ahhh, good idea. I like that. Especially the Ward tactic. If he puts up even mediocre stats, get moved to a better team and performs well...that's good trade bait. You think the same thing with Smith? I figured he was stuck. That team is not going to be great this year.
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

id take raanta, 17 b2bs for rangers. then maybe take a chance on darling, coach has confidence in running with him if need be.

Dobber Sports Stud

If you're throwing in the towel this season anyhow, you should be targeting the goalies that have the best shot at resurging (or emerging) as bona fide starters for the future (and hopefully becoming a keeper).

Based on that thinking, I would make Lack my priority and likely grab Ward as a secondary option. I think there's a shot one runs away with the starting gig, while the other moves on next year.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    If you're throwing in the towel this season anyhow, you should be targeting the goalies that have the best shot at resurging (or emerging) as bona fide starters for the future (and hopefully becoming a keeper).

Based on that thinking, I would make Lack my priority and likely grab Ward as a secondary option. I think there's a shot one runs away with the starting gig, while the other moves on next year.
    I think I'm going to grab both of them and then move on to the other guys (Ramo, Darling, Raanta). Hold em for ransom. If any of the primary starters (Crawford/Lundqvist) get hurt, I've got some good bargaining chips to trade.
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Star

I think I'm going to grab both of them and then move on to the other guys (Ramo, Darling, Raanta). Hold em for ransom. If any of the primary starters (Crawford/Lundqvist) get hurt, I've got some good bargaining chips to trade.
    Great strategy. It would be a massive win of a draft if you could end up with Ward, Lack, Smith (he's not as bad as people are treating him right now), Ramo, Darling, Raanta.

Be as active on the WW as you can during the season to grab backups that might start.

Dobber Sports Star

Great strategy. It would be a massive win of a draft if you could end up with Ward, Lack, Smith (he's not as bad as people are treating him right now), Ramo, Darling, Raanta.

Be as active on the WW as you can during the season to grab backups that might start.
    For sure. My goal this year is to trade for picks. Picks picks and more picks. Player upgrades where available. I think the bench is 5 of 6 players deep, so I'll probably reserve 2-3 goalies if I'm lucky (guys are still picking Dmen and Util forwards right now) and then take a D and a F. Why not.
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Star

For sure. My goal this year is to trade for picks. Picks picks and more picks. Player upgrades where available. I think the bench is 5 of 6 players deep, so I'll probably reserve 2-3 goalies if I'm lucky (guys are still picking Dmen and Util forwards right now) and then take a D and a F. Why not.
    Don't bother with the D and F. This late in the draft they won't be keepers and they like'y won't return much in trade. You're better off trying to maximize the chance of a home run on a goalie.

Dobber Sports Star

Don't bother with the D and F. This late in the draft they won't be keepers and they like'y won't return much in trade. You're better off trying to maximize the chance of a home run on a goalie.
    Got Ward and Darling, Lack and Ramo gone. I'll shoot for Raanta next pick, otherwise I'll shoot for Smith and hope for the best!

Dobber Sports Star

Got Raanta. Get to pick again in one more pick. Could go Smith, Khubodin or Hutchinson

Dobber Sports Star

Smith! He's the only one that's a starter! I get that he had a bad year, but he's worth the rebound gamble!

Dobber Sports Genius

"Well let's be totally clear: there's a huge advantage in this type of setup to having 3 rostered goalies and maximizing goalie GP. So without 2 fulltime starters you're completely and royally screwed."

I 100% agree.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Star

Smith! He's the only one that's a starter! I get that he had a bad year, but he's worth the rebound gamble!
    I got Smith Someone I never gave much thought to was Markstrom. Khubodin and Markstrom remain.

Outside of that, I still need a defenseman and it's slim pickings. Maybe Ryan Ellis or Dan Boyle are OK bets, but that's about it. Sam Gagner would be a lottery pick C/RW if he's slotted to play with Voracek and Giroux. But I have my doubts about him lol
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom