Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Toughest Keep One Post: Schneider, Bishop, or Dubnyk- REPS FOR REPLIES

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Toughest Keep One Post: Schneider, Bishop, or Dubnyk- REPS FOR REPLIES

Bishop's contract status may seem like a risk but consider the facts.

1 - This is not a UFA year for Bishop. Next season is. 2016-2017 is the year to trade Bishop.
    2 - There is a looming cap crunch in TB BUT it will be solved one way or another depending how they deal with Stamkos' pending UFA-ness. Bishop's long-term place on this team is only affected if TB signs Stammer for max-cap money. Stammer stays and a whole lot of cap-moving deals will be in the offing for TB. Given that Yzerman publicly stated that getting Stamkos signed was this summer's #1 priority and we're now past Labour Day with no signing news, I'd say there's (some) room for hope on the Bishop retention front.
    3 - TB did have the contracts set up perfectly for Vas to succeed Bishop in the vein of how BOS groomed Rask for Tim Thomas's job. But now Bishop is a lock for 60 games and Vas will have significant rust to push through. 2015-2016 should have been an evaluation year for Vas but this long-term injury postpones the evaluation. It's hard to evaluate goalies on a small sample size and most GMs tend to go with the known guy - just look at Bryan Murray and his dealing of Bishop for evidence of that.

I admit #3 is a bit of a stretch but overall, there's more to Bishop sticking around than you might otherwise think.
    14-team Keeper w/custom salary cap
    Keep btw 12-14, excl. Minors
    Skater cats (weight): G (1.75), A (1.75), +/- (0.75), Hits (0.75), BS (0.75)
    Goalie cats: W (0.25), GAA (1.00), SV% (1.00)

C : Colton Kuznetsov Frost WKarlsson ---MBourque Rossi MSavoie Fantilli Carlsson
    LW: Caufield Hagel Nichushkin EKane---Musty
    RW: Tippett Necas Brown Kakko---Yurov Lysell Stankoven ECowan
    D : Theodore Seider Addison Klingberg Gostisbehere Fehervary---Edvinsson
    G : Talbot Korpisalo ---Commesso Augustine
    Bench/IR: Chabot Hart Novak Andersen

2024 entry draft picks: 3 1sts, 1 2nd
    2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd
    Fantrax IHL Champion: 2018/19, 2015/16, 2011/12

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Toughest Keep One Post: Schneider, Bishop, or Dubnyk- REPS FOR REPLIES

Good points. I don't see Bishop losing his job to Vas, not this season at least.
    12 Team ESPN H2H Keeper: 1F/1D/1G
    Skater: G, A, +/-, PTS, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, FOW, TOI, SOG, HIT, DEF
    Goalie: W, SV, SO, GAA, SV%

Mind Your Manners
    Fowards: Tavares, Toews, T. Johnson, Kucherov, Backes, Turris, Huberdeau, Stepan, Kunitz, Filppula, Perron, J. Staal, M. Martin
    Defense: Letang, Carlson, Streit, Fowler, Johnson, Zidlicky
    Goalies: Bishop, Dubnyk, Pavelec
    Daily Start: 9F/5D/1Util/2G

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
    3 - TB did have the contracts set up perfectly for Vas to succeed Bishop in the vein of how BOS groomed Rask for Tim Thomas's job. But now Bishop is a lock for 60 games and Vas will have significant rust to push through. 2015-2016 should have been an evaluation year for Vas but this long-term injury postpones the evaluation. It's hard to evaluate goalies on a small sample size and most GMs tend to go with the known guy - just look at Bryan Murray and his dealing of Bishop for evidence of that.
    teams will go with the better guy/guy who they project to be better. IN this case I think it's Vasilevski and in Ottawa's case Bishop was always #3 in upside/talent.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    teams will go with the better guy/guy who they project to be better. IN this case I think it's Vasilevski and in Ottawa's case Bishop was always #3 in upside/talent.
    I think Ottawa was proven to be wrong!

Mind Your Manners
    Fowards: Tavares, Toews, T. Johnson, Kucherov, Backes, Turris, Huberdeau, Stepan, Kunitz, Filppula, Perron, J. Staal, M. Martin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skotchek View Post
    I think Ottawa was proven to be wrong!
    Maybe on Lehner so far but Bishop is nothing amazing talent-wise and they already had/have a better goalie.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Maybe on Lehner so far but Bishop is nothing amazing talent-wise and they already had/have a better goalie.
    Obviously we are talking about our opinions, but why do you think Bishop is so highly ranked? I believe Dobber has him at #3 (or called him a top three goalie on this thread). Do you think if Bishop was on the Hurricanes for example, we'd still be having this discussion, and the answer would have clearly been to keep Dubnyk or Schneider?

Mind Your Manners

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Bishop brought TBL to the Stanley Cup Finals...that has to be worth something, right??

Bishop would be my choice, followed very closely by Dubnyk. I need one more good full year out of him before I jump on the Dubbie-Train!
    FANTASY LEAGUE: "Hockey Night on Hoth" (est. 2012)
    TEAM NAME: "The Barrelriders"

FORMAT: H2H Keeper League (Keep 4 - no more than two per position)
    TEAM FORMAT: 12 Teams, 17 Players per Team (3C, 4W, 3D, 2G, 5Util)
    STAT CATS: G, A, P, PPP, FW, Shots, Hits, Blocks | Wins, SVS, GAA, SV%

MY TEAM:

C | N. Mackinnon,
    W | J. Benn, J. Pavelski
    D |
    G | A. Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stotan View Post
    Bishop brought TBL to the Stanley Cup Finals...that has to be worth something, right??

Bishop would be my choice, followed very closely by Dubnyk. I need one more good full year out of him before I jump on the Dubbie-Train!
    This appears to be the source of reluctance for most owners.

Mind Your Manners

Dobber Sports Initiate

teams will go with the better guy/guy who they project to be better.
    The projections are seriously handicapped by the sample size. You're basically arguing that Vas passes the eye test better than Bishop. There were times that Lehner looked good too...but he was the one getting shuffled off to Buffalo.

I'm not actually saying Bishop>Vas for all time. The rookie may very well end up being the hands-down winner in this debate. For the present and near-future though, I'd have to say Bishop is the #1 starter this year without question and we'll see what happens in later seasons.
    14-team Keeper w/custom salary cap
    Keep btw 12-14, excl. Minors
    Skater cats (weight): G (1.75), A (1.75), +/- (0.75), Hits (0.75), BS (0.75)
    Goalie cats: W (0.25), GAA (1.00), SV% (1.00)

C : Colton Kuznetsov Frost WKarlsson ---MBourque Rossi MSavoie Fantilli Carlsson
    LW: Caufield Hagel Nichushkin EKane---Musty
    RW: Tippett Necas Brown Kakko---Yurov Lysell Stankoven ECowan
    D : Theodore Seider Addison Klingberg Gostisbehere Fehervary---Edvinsson
    G : Talbot Korpisalo ---Commesso Augustine
    Bench/IR: Chabot Hart Novak Andersen

2024 entry draft picks: 3 1sts, 1 2nd
    2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd
    Fantrax IHL Champion: 2018/19, 2015/16, 2011/12

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skotchek View Post
    Obviously we are talking about our opinions, but why do you think Bishop is so highly ranked? I believe Dobber has him at #3 (or called him a top three goalie on this thread). Do you think if Bishop was on the Hurricanes for example, we'd still be having this discussion, and the answer would have clearly been to keep Dubnyk or Schneider?
    He is highly ranked because of the team he is on (which had one great year so far - can they repeat?). I don't want a goalie (long-term I mean) who is simply tied to his team doing well, I want one that is talented and will be good wherever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
    The projections are seriously handicapped by the sample size. You're basically arguing that Vas passes the eye test better than Bishop. There were times that Lehner looked good too...but he was the one getting shuffled off to Buffalo.

I'm not actually saying Bishop>Vas for all time. The rookie may very well end up being the hands-down winner in this debate. For the present and near-future though, I'd have to say Bishop is the #1 starter this year without question and we'll see what happens in later seasons.
    I'm arguing that Vasilevski is easily the most talented goalie and at his cheap rate will be a better option for the Lightning in 1 or 2 years time. It is the job of the team to project players even when one hasn't proven more/surpassed another.

I don't see Bishop lasting through next season. Just my take! Cheers.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I may just go off the board and take Schneider and let someone else worry about the Dubnyk/Bishop debate

Mind Your Manners