Thread: Holtby or Andersen

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Holtby or Andersen

Salary-cap, points-only league. 2 points for a W, 1 pt for a OTL and SO.

Holtby at 6.5M$ or Andersen at 1.3M$ as my goaltending keeper?

Holtby's a workhorse #1 on a rising team that should win a lot. Andersen play for an as strong, if not stronger, team. However, he has a few more threats behind him in Khudobin and Gibson which could steal some of his starts.

Basically, is Holtby that much more safer than Andersen to justify the 5M$ gap between them?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Holtby or Andersen

I like Holtby a whole lot more, for next year and the future (I don't imagine Andersen being the #1 starter a few years from now). Holtby is young and, like you said, on a rising team. I think ultimately it depends on how tight your cap-space is. If you can pull it off, Holtby is a good bet for the long-term. If you'd have to sacrifice too much, Andersen will be just fine for next year and perhaps the next but I'd recommend looking at trying to get something more long term.

In conclusion, I'd go Holtby if your current cap space allows for it and doesn't sacrifice too much up front. He's worth the extra $!
    FANTASY LEAGUE: "Hockey Night on Hoth" (est. 2012)
    TEAM NAME: "The Barrelriders"

FORMAT: H2H Keeper League (Keep 4 - no more than two per position)
    TEAM FORMAT: 12 Teams, 17 Players per Team (3C, 4W, 3D, 2G, 5Util)
    STAT CATS: G, A, P, PPP, FW, Shots, Hits, Blocks | Wins, SVS, GAA, SV%

MY TEAM:

C | N. Mackinnon,
    W | J. Benn, J. Pavelski
    D |
    G | A. Vasilevskiy

Administrator

Even with the salary difference I'd go with Holtby. Too good to pass up.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

Holtby has proven more at this point. He has better career numbers. He doesn't have any real threats to his #1 job and he doesn't have a coach who likes to go with hot hand, showing no strong ties to a #1. Holtby is the clear choice here.

Also, if you're looking past this year, the salary difference between the two will shrink significantly.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Holtby, despite the high cap number.
    10 Team, Weekly H2H (Set Daily), 31-Player, No Cap, Dynasty League

Categories: G, A, +/-, Hits, PPP, ATOI, SOG, W, S%, GAA

F: Crosby,
    Seguin, Kessel, Malkin, Tarasenko, Laine, Hall, Pacioretty, Panarin, Gaudreau, Kuznetsov, Kucherov, Eichel, Monahan, Krejci, Huberdeau, Scheifele, Drouin, S. Reinhart, Radulov

D: Karlsson, Hedman, Shattenkirk,
    Barrie, Hamilton, Gostisbehere, Vatanen

G: Rask, Fleury, Dubnyk, Schneider

Dobber Sports Ace

I'd go Holtby too, but if you somehow end up with F.Anderson he should have the job for the next 2 season. I don't see Gibon pushing him out before that. Khudobin full time backup only "not really a threat"
    2015-16-17, 23 Champion
    12Team Roto Keeper (5keepers) Weekly lineups
    Player: G, A,+/-, PPG, PPA, SOG = 2pts
    Player: +/-, Blocked Shots = 1pt
    Goalie: GGP, GAA, SPct, W, SO = 1pt
    Lineup: 3C, 4W, 4D 2G, 6Farm/Prospect Players

C: C.McDavid, T.Thompson
    W: K.Kaprizov, ,
    D: A. Fox,
    G: I.Shesterkin,

Farm/Prospects free carry: C: M. Savoie W:
    D: L. Hutson G: D. Levi

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Kabonov View Post
    I'd go Holtby too, but if you somehow end up with F.Anderson he should have the job for the next 2 season. I don't see Gibon pushing him out before that. Khudobin full time backup only "not really a threat"
    Andersen is by no means guaranteed the job for next 2 seasons. Gibson will be pushing next year (if not this one) and Khudobin can steal starts from Andersen. Don't underrate Khudobin, he is a good goalie that was victimized playing behind a crappy Canes defence last year.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Andersen is by no means guaranteed the job for next 2 seasons. Gibson will be pushing next year (if not this one) and Khudobin can steal starts from Andersen. Don't underrate Khudobin, he is a good goalie that was victimized playing behind a crappy Canes defence last year.
    I don't think so... I think Khudobin is a solid backup option if Anderson goes down to injury or the Back to back off night games. ANA signed Khudobin for 2 years so they don't have to worry because someone in the ANA head office probably thinks Gibson isn't ready or wants to cheap out on Gibson's contract after next season with the excuse of "ANA is strong in Net with Both Anderson and Khudobin contracts are up after 2016-17"

So, I believe they will likely see what plays out this season and setup the moves needed..

Sign Anderson an extension due to his play this season or trade him for assets if he flops this season and let Gibson challenge Khudobin for starter spot.

Gibson holds the title of ANA "Goalie of the Future" but look at Bernier in LA or Markstrom in FLA. Both held the same title, high upside as prospects when they played less than 30 games.

I'm not saying that Gibson can't push but finance wise this would be the right move for Anaheim Ducks.

It's all speculation of course, I could be way off the ball….
    2015-16-17, 23 Champion
    12Team Roto Keeper (5keepers) Weekly lineups
    Player: G, A,+/-, PPG, PPA, SOG = 2pts
    Player: +/-, Blocked Shots = 1pt
    Goalie: GGP, GAA, SPct, W, SO = 1pt
    Lineup: 3C, 4W, 4D 2G, 6Farm/Prospect Players

C: C.McDavid, T.Thompson
    W: K.Kaprizov, ,
    D: A. Fox,
    G: I.Shesterkin,

Farm/Prospects free carry: C: M. Savoie W:
    D: L. Hutson G: D. Levi

Dobber Sports Pro

Holtby is your guy here!

Dobber Sports Newbie

Another vote for Holtby here!

Dobber Sports Star

Holtby too. You'll figure something out cap wise.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Kabonov View Post
    I don't think so... I think Khudobin is a solid backup option if Anderson goes down to injury or the Back to back off night games. ANA signed Khudobin for 2 years so they don't have to worry because someone in the ANA head office probably thinks Gibson isn't ready or wants to cheap out on Gibson's contract after next season with the excuse of "ANA is strong in Net with Both Anderson and Khudobin contracts are up after 2016-17"

So, I believe they will likely see what plays out this season and setup the moves needed..

Sign Anderson an extension due to his play this season or trade him for assets if he flops this season and let Gibson challenge Khudobin for starter spot.

Gibson holds the title of ANA "Goalie of the Future" but look at Bernier in LA or Markstrom in FLA. Both held the same title, high upside as prospects when they played less than 30 games.

I'm not saying that Gibson can't push but finance wise this would be the right move for Anaheim Ducks.

It's all speculation of course, I could be way off the ball….
    Too much speculation around Andersen. He could be Anaheim's goalie of the future or he could be shipped out in a trade before next season starts. Khudobin is a good goalie, capable of stealing starts and if it were any other coach, I wouldn't be so worried about Andersen but BB has a history of flip-flopping on his starters to catch hot streaks and I don't imagine it to change this year.

Beyond this season, Anaheim will have to extend a few players and they'll be very close to the cap. If Andersen plays well, he could demand $5+ million and the Ducks may choose to trade him and have cheaper Gibson take over. The Ducks also have a history of changing starting goalies often. Andersen is a good goalie but from what we've seen so far, he's not great so he value will likely dip if he's shipped out of Anaheim.