Thread: Holtby or Dubnyk or Both

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Holtby or Dubnyk or Both

Hello all - got some very tough keeper decisions to make.

Goalies are important in my league, but we lost one owner and thus now have a 8 team league. We carry 3 goalies per team, but a recent trend has
    been for owners to draft up to 5-6 goalies (we have 3 bench spots) in order to protect themselves, but also make it difficult for other owners to get quality.

A big reason I won last year was Holtby and Dubnyk; both were stellar for me, but I can only keep 9 and I'm not sure I can or should keep two goalies.

Cats, roster and league details in my signature...the number in () for each player is their current roster value which increases every year. We get 250 duckets to draft our
    full roster - 12 F, 6 D, 3 G, 3 bench. Obviously, the lower the number on the keepers the more duckets I'll have to be active in the draft to fill in the rest of the roster.

Thoughts? Thanks
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Holtby or Dubnyk or Both

First off, def keep Holtby over Dubnyk Secondly, what goalies would be available for you to pick up? I'm thinking, if someone like Varlamov would be available, then I wouldn't keep Dubnyk but if not, I might consider keeping him and dropping Oshie. 60-point forwards are probably easier to re-draft than starting goalies?
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Master

Dare I say it, but if goalies are so important, and you have to keep Dubnyk, couldn't you simply keep Pacioretty off your keeper list?
    MaxPac will start the year on the IR, or at best miss the training camp, and start off without "warming up". The problem, of course, is that he is a 30 goal guy, and goals are probably important too. Ah well, so be it. It is the only thing I see that makes sense if you are keeping the extra tender, and still have to watch your budget.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    First off, def keep Holtby over Dubnyk Secondly, what goalies would be available for you to pick up? I'm thinking, if someone like Varlamov would be available, then I wouldn't keep Dubnyk but if not, I might consider keeping him and dropping Oshie. 60-point forwards are probably easier to re-draft than starting goalies?
    Yes, definitely, but Oshie would not be a keeper for me anyway despite his low roster value.

I have several scenarios I need to decide on:

Giroux, Benn, Pacioretty, Pavelski, Wheeler + Shatts, Yandle, Burns + Holtby

or

Giroux, Benn, Pavelski, 1 of Wheeler or Pacioretty + OEL, Burns, Shatts, Yandle + Holtby

or

Benn, Pacioretty, Pavelski, Wheeler + Shatts, OEL, Yandle, Burns + Holtby

or

Giroux, Benn, Pavelski, Wheeler, Pacioretty + Shatts, Burns + Holtby, Dubnyk
    WW = $10

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Dare I say it, but if goalies are so important, and you have to keep Dubnyk, couldn't you simply keep Pacioretty off your keeper list?
    MaxPac will start the year on the IR, or at best miss the training camp, and start off without "warming up". The problem, of course, is that he is a 30 goal guy, and goals are probably important too. Ah well, so be it. It is the only thing I see that makes sense if you are keeping the extra tender, and still have to watch your budget.
    Yes, that is what I mean about this being quite tough

I agree on your concerns about Pacioretty, but he has been so lethal for me the last two seasons I really do not want to give him up, he fills all the cats well

With only 8 teams, I could probably land another good goalie somewhere in the first 3 rounds. the dilemna is I'd like to grab McDavid too and I do not believe he gets out of the second round. As the champ of course I pick last so part of that strategy would actually entail NOT keeping Giroux so he helps push McDavid down to me. Our league does not love rookies or young talent; they tend to go for proven performers. I usually do too, but I just think McDavid has the chance to be Crosby good.
    WW = $10

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Front89 View Post
    Yes, definitely, but Oshie would not be a keeper for me anyway despite his low roster value.

or

Giroux, Benn, Pavelski, 1 of Wheeler or Pacioretty + OEL, Burns, Shatts, Yandle + Holtby

or

or

Of the 4 scenarios above, I like the last one.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Front89 View Post

or

or

or

Oshie's bolded in your sig so I assumed he's a keeper.

No matter. I like the last scenario you've listed.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Ninja

After reading through all this, I'm with VV (last scenario) where you keep both Holtby and Dubnyk.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Star

I like your last scenario as well.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

If goalies are important... I would trade Dubnyk and your final keeper for an upgrade over Dubnyk. Dub is worth a lot right now so you should be able to get an upgrade.