• Kari Lehtonen

2 12.50%
  • Martin Jones

14 87.50%

Thread: Lehtonen or Jones

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Lehtonen or Jones

Hi guys,

This is for my 1st team in my signature. Unlimited keepers with standard cats.
    I REALLY need a goalie and in a 16 teams league, starter are hard to find.
    So Lehtonen and Martin Jones could be the 'easiest' goalies to get via trade (or the most available players).

Between those guys, which one do you prefer?! And Brian Elliott could be another option as well!

On my side, I'll probably trade Silfverberg or Krejci+ for one of the goalie.

Thanks for your advice.
    Last edited by McFly; August 31, 2015 at 2:40 PM. Reason: adding Brian Elliott !

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Lehtonen or Jones

I would prefer Jones here as his situation is a little more clearer than Lehtonen's. His defensive situation really hasn't taken too much of a hit between LA and SJ as the Sharks boasts a pretty sound defensive hockye team themselves.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I voted for Jones because San Jose paid a lofty price to bring him in.

Dallas brought in Niemi, so this will eat away Lehtonen starts.

Dobber Sports Deity

I would prefer Elliott over Jones and Lehtonen, but if this is down to Lehtonen and Jones, I'd go Lehtonen. He's a proven starter, and even though he has watched them bring in some serious competition, I think this drives him harder. I am simply not ready to trust Jones yet until I see more of him as a legit starting goalie and forced to play under pressure behind a team that isn't as defensively deep as LA.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I would prefer Elliott over Jones and Lehtonen, but if this is down to Lehtonen and Jones, I'd go Lehtonen. He's a proven starter, and even though he has watched them bring in some serious competition, I think this drives him harder. I am simply not ready to trust Jones yet until I see more of him as a legit starting goalie and forced to play under pressure behind a team that isn't as defensively deep as LA.
    This. Lehtonen all the way. The guy is one year removed from being quasi-elite!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    This. Lehtonen all the way. The guy is one year removed from being quasi-elite!
    Yep, pretty much this. There is more risk with Jones (having never been a starter) than with Lehtonen, who had one really bad year.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

And between Elliott & Lehtonen ??! ��

Dobber Sports Superstar

Elliott is two large steps ahead of either Lehtonen or Jones for me. Elliott has proven he can put up very steady numbers on a St. Louis team that is going to win games and give up few goals. Despite all the chances Allen has yet to supplement him.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Rookie

Acquisition cost would be the deciding factor for me, maybe contact both owners and see what it takes to get it done.

(assuming the cost to acquire is similar)I voted Jones because:
    Golden boy status ($3m/yr, gave up 1st rd pick)
    Your team looks relatively young so there is time for Jones to develop into your #1 with your team
    Starter uncertainty is equal or worse for Lehtonen - my best guess is that there will be a lot of back and forth between Lehtonen and Niemi - as soon as one G has a bad game the net will get taken away

Some alternatives I would look at if I were you:
    As mentioned earlier - Elliot
    Talbot - not desirable to run the Edmonton duo but better than what you have

Dobber Sports Initiate

Id say Lehtonen is the safe play, but I feel there is more a chance of Niemi taking the 1A spot than Stalock. Also Niemi is being paid well (4.5) as a 1B so he is gonna get his starts. With Enroth and Scrivens not giving you regular starts you need a goalie that will , which is Jones.

Stalock has this year left on his contract , if S.J. had confidence in him they would have resigned him. They still could but I think they ride Mr. Jones!
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano