Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2015/2016 Dobber PRO (Tier II) Campbell League

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: 2015/2016 Dobber PRO (Tier II) Campbell League

Am I crazy or are the categories not listed anywhere in this thread?

Dobber Sports Veteran

That was the toughest draft I have ever done - and the 1 min timer is crazy fast! If your queue gets depleted, you are sort of screwed!

My original plan was:
    Karlsson at #4
    Then, depending on who was available in each round, get 2 more D and 3 F in the next 5 rounds.
    I had always planned on trying to get the Allen-Elliot tandem in rounds 7 and 8, but Nickel City snagged Allen 2 picks before me in Round 7 and that plan blew up in a puff of smoke. So I figured I would wait until round 10 or so and try to get the Niemi-Lehtonen tandem, and then the Detroit tandem after that.
    That plan was also blown up when the Savages accidentally autodrafted Niemi in round 8. He seemed pissed, and I don't blame him - that's earlier than Niemi should have gone.
    I waited another two rounds until I no longer felt confident that I could afford to risk one more round before getting a G. I wanted to get the detroit tandem, and I went Howard as I have him for playing 45-54 games. But sure enough, Pengwin - being defiant and saying he couldn't let me value draft the DET tandem at this point (!) - snagged Mrazek just a couple picks before me in Round 11. Damn. As a result, I went for another starter in Pavelec and figured I could sit a few more rounds and hopefully sneak out with the SJ Tandem.
    I managed to get Jones in round 13, and probably reached a round by getting Stalock in round 15 (but I couldn't risk it).

In summary, my original plan went out the window as soon as the 2nd overall pick was made. But I regrouped reasonably well, and managed to get a decent goalie group that should get me 164 GP with decent stats in Howard-Pavelec-Jones-Stalock, and didn't have to take a goalie in the first 9 rounds.
    However, I am not too pumped on my team, and I was definitely scrambling a bit (and thrown off the whole draft). This is reflected in my projected 6th place finish, but I am thinking I can outperform that a bit!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    and managed to get a decent goalie group that should get me 164 GP with decent stats in Howard-Pavelec-Jones-Stalock, and didn't have to take a goalie in the first 9 rounds.
    This is pretty much my prefered draft stategy.
    Tough to be in a league with other people executing similar.
    I hear ya on the Niemi... I was looking to snag the DAL combo as well... especially in SV leagues, I think they'll give up a lot of shots, which can help in "SV" actually, since SV/game is the key metric there, assuming 164gp.

Would've been a considerably smoother draft for us... domino effect...

You might've been able to value draft the DAL-duo...
    Which means I might've been able to value draft the DET-duo...

Funny how one person's misfortune (Niemi early auto-draft) can hurt others as well!
    LOL.

*Though, when somebody says "I didn't mean to draft him that early"... it made me think... how... why?! did that happen.
    Niemi was not the highest player or highest goalie on the board at the time.
    Which means either:

i) GM had him auto-queued at #1 for reason unknown (???), or
    ii) GM was yanking our chain with comment and meant to take him...

Dobber Sports Rookie

First off. Good luck all. Hopefully this year there will be more movement and trashtalk/chatter since we went from weekly to daily lineups.
    Quick self analysis of my draft. Team currently named Goner for Connor.

Round 1 : Tyler Seguin. It was either Seguin or Giroux and since ive never had Seguin on a one of my teams, that was a decided factor. On a side note. I'm a little shocked that so many people are surprised at Karlsson going so early. Im pretty sure it happened in the dobber drafts I was in the past two years. Plus I remember drafting Mike Green in the middle of the first round about 5 years ago based on information from this site. The Dobber site has been preaching elite D for quite a few years now and that was before the hocky pool geek site.

Round 2 : Phil Kessel. Who wins the Kessel/Seguin trade? Hopefully they battle it out this year in the 80+ points range to find out.

Round 3 : Cory Schneider. This might cost me the draft. I really wanted Hall or Voracek here, but I got spooked by the run of 5-6 goalies and reached for him. sigh. few wins but tons of saves.

Round 4 : Connor McDavid. Was looking at D, but Connor was staring at me and to be honest, this is the furthest I have seen him drop. So why not? lol.

Round 5 : Jaroslav Halak. Probably should have taken a D here too lol. But I think it helps counter Schneider's lack of wins.

Round 6 : Milan Lucic. Im thinking I reached here for hits, but if he could recapture former glory, I get all categories.

Round 7 : Dougie Hamilton. Ok. Taking a D here no matter what. My first two in the queue Keith and Barrie disappear so Hamilton wins.

Round 8 : Mike Green. I have a soft spot for Green. He won me a lot of leagues in the past. See prior commentary on early elite D.

Round 9 : David Perron. Probably early but contract year. points = $$$. lol

Rounds 10 plus : Nothing really exciting. I won't lie. Near the end I was reading the DOBBER GUIDE (shameless plug to get free copy next year) and making picks based on Calder Candidates and sleepers. Hence the fabbri, ehlers and even the perreault pick. Oh yeah and I got Jagr late for veteran leadership to help pull my young guys through the tough stretches. One thing i was shocked that Nichushkin dropped so far. I totally forgot about him. Curses.

Overall i think i have great offense, decent goaltending and crappy hits and probably +/-. So im guessing top 13 finish. :P

Nabber aka Rumble aka Goner for Connor

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Great summary.
    I like reading others' lists - as it shows some pride they took in drafting their team.
    REP to you my fine sir!!

Dobber Sports Recruit

My team summary: (gonna steal Pengwin7's template.. props!)

Uncle Benn's

1. (3) Carey Price (Mtl - G)
    I had projected Ovy to go first and Crosby to go 2nd, which was prettty much the case for the last 3 years in this league, so I was shocked to see Karlsson go 2nd overall, even though FHG had him ranked 2nd in value. I had imagined myself taking Price third in all my prep as this league's emphasis on goaltending is very strong, but CROSBY was available to me at 3rd overall. This was the first time in my life I had the opportunity to draft him, but I had a plan, and had to stick to it. Could kick myself for this, but we'll see!

2. (24) Nick Backstrom (Was - C)
    I was very happy here to get Ovy's pivot, even with the news that his injury rehab in still in the air. Very few top talent Centres left at this point, so pulled the trigger gladly here.
    PS: when I saw Big Buff go 13th overall, I knew I was in for a tough draft full of smart GM's.

3. (29) Ben Bishop (TB -G)
    As stated above, I felt I needed to shore up my Goalie position early so I could focus on positions that have much more players available. Past years in this league demonstrated just how important it is to have two SOLID starting netminders, but Shea Weber was still available here and I really wanted him. Only a minute to decide after all, so again, I stuck to my plan. Got my guy, got two goalies on two of the best teams in the East. Still feeling good.

4. (50) Drew Doughty (LA - D)
    Great consolation prize at 50th pick. Wanted Weber, got Doughty, how could I complain? (Compaint: I wanted OEL. He went one pick before mine. ARGGGGHH) So far, things are going smoothly. Smoothly, yet I know I'm not out of the woods yet. Like I said, the GM's in this league are smart. It's not going to get easier from this point on.

5. (55) Tyler Johnson (TB - C)
    This pick was neck and neck with Zetterberg. I don't have a winger yet, and I know those positions are much shallower than C, but Johnson's line last season was so dynamic and the look like they're primed to build on their chemistry. Zetterberg's looking good in training camp, but I decided on Johnson. Guess what?? Zetterberg went next. SMART GM's... Very smart...

6. (76) Alexander Steen (Stl - C,LW)
    This round was the first "disappointed" pick. I really wanted Milan Lucic here. Really bad. I had to get started on my wingers and when Lucic was picked a few before me, I had Steen left as the highest rated LW on my list. Snagged him. Dual position eligible is a real plus. Hoping the injury bug stays away this season though...

7. (81) TJ Oshie (Was - C,RW)
    First RW pick. I wasn't super excited, I saw quite a bit of negative articles written about him, how he is overrated with at least one writer expressing his disbelief that he will even play on the first line. I really do think he will be on the top-line PP so that should be really fun to watch. If Backstrom is out for a long time, I see Oshie starting the season 1st line Centre, playing with Ovechkin. So here's a good RW that I can at least hedge my bet with on Backstrom. Still liking my team so far.

8. (102) Ondrej Palat (TB - LW)
    Very happy here to get Palat. I invested in Johnson, so this was a great complimentary pick. I like my two LW's so far. Let's keep the good times rolling.

9. (107) Torey Krug (Bos - D)
    What's Boston going to do this year? For the first time in half a decade, it's hard to see if Boston will be a top competitor. That being said, this is Krug's year. Chara's age has finally caught up with him, as demonstrated last season. Krug is poised take over the D spot, and QB their powerplay. I see 40+ points for Krug, hoping that comes true.

10. (128) Johnny Boychuk (NYI - D)
    I'm hoping he can build on the 35 points he got last season. I see NYI being even better than last year, with their depth having another year of experience. I'm thinking maybe I can get Leddy - Boychuck tandem and be really happy. (Spoiler alert: I didn't get him and wasn't happy.)

11. (133) Ryan O'Reilly (Buf - C,LW,RW)
    I had Hartnell queued here but if I said it once I said it a million times: the GM's in this league are smart. He went one pick before mine. Oh well, I still liked this pick a lot because of the triple position eligibility, which counts for a lot in daily start leagues. Plus there's tons of positivity in Buffalo going into the 15-16 season. He's gonna play with a combo of either Ennis, Kane or Eichel which is just great. Feeling good!

12. (154) James Wisniewski (Car - D)
    I see him on the 1st line PP with Faulk, so getting him a my 3rd D was not too bad, Though I did have Niskanen and Seabrook ranked before Jimmy the Wiz. They went in the 12th round as well, before me of course... I definetly had to settle on Wisniewski here.

13. (159) Brendan Gallagher (Mtl - RW)
    I picked up a first line RW in the 13th round. At this point, almost no more 1st line forwards are left. Being a hab fan, I was quite happy to get Gally. I would like to see him get above the 50 point mark this year. He's improved every season, his linemates have improved and it's his FOURTH season, and we here all know about the 4th year breakout theory. This could be a real steal... GO Habs GO!

14. (180) Nazem Kadri (Tor - C)
    Good depth at this point. Will he be the Bud's number one centre this year? He's also entering his fourth season as a full-time NHLer. I didn't see a lot of risk at this point taking Kadri, seeing that he could be on the top line if things go well. I hope "Mike-Dad Bab-Clock" gives him the green light this year.

15. (185) Morgan Rielly (Tor - D)
    A first line D in the 15th round. I did not have to reach here. Regardless of how little goals the Leafs end up scoring this season, Rielly should be involved on a healthy percentage of them. If he's on the PP with the offensively-gifted Gardiner, could be in for mid-round steal.

16. (206) Paul Stastny (Stl - C)
    A 2nd-line Center who's going to play with two of Steen, Backes, Schwartz and Tarasenko. I like the sound of that at pick #206. Still really liking my team here let's keep going.

17. (211) Reilly Smith (Fla - LW,RW)
    I'm still low on wingers, and I picked up the third "Reilly Brother" (I noticed I now have O'Reilly, Morgan Rielly and Reilly Smith... weird how that ended up happening). Top-6 foward on a team with a ton of young talent and potential. Another proud pick.

18. (232) Mike Fisher (Nsh - C)
    I picked him up last year after a length absence due to injury, and he killed it in multi-category leagues. Another top-6 centre snagged.

19. (237) Michael Hutchinson (Wpg - G)
    Did I get the Jets' starting goaltender at 237? I think that if Pavelec plays as poorly as he did (for most of) last season, then I think this could be a great third string pick up. Will he be challenged by Connor Hellebuyck? Remains to be seen...

Picks 20-25

20. (258) Eric Gelinas D
    I need depth on D and its pretty depleted. Snagged what I could at this point.
    21. (263) Antoine Vermette C,LW
    Kind of shocked that Vermette fell THIS far. A top-6 dual-eligible player. Yoink!
    22. (284) Patrick Maroon LW
    Projected to play on the top PP line with Getz and Perry. I like that kind of talk.
    23. (289) Josh Bailey LW,RW
    A top-9 player who got 41 points last year so I don't think this was a wasted pick.
    24. (310) Jared Spurgeon D
    He did well enough last year in Minnesota. Need a final D to round out the lineup.
    25. (315) Andrew Shaw RW
    My only Blackhawk. Kinda disappointed he's only RW eligible, but he fits in everywhere in the Hawks' lineup so definetly a good final pick.

DAMN that was a lot to write. It was a very fun draft. Very tough. Lot's of smart GM's to contend with this season, as per usual.

Here's to a great season gentlemen. It's finally here. CHEERS!

-Uncle Benn's (a.k.a. Chris)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by GTA Fan View Post
    Am I crazy or are the categories not listed anywhere in this thread?

Here are the Roster Positions:
    C, C, C, C, LW, LW, LW, LW, RW, RW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, D, D, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR, IR+

Here are the Categories:
    Goals (G), Assists (A), Plus/Minus (+/-), Powerplay Points (PPP), Shots on Goal (SOG), Hits (HIT)
    Wins (W), Goals Against Average (GAA), Saves (SV)

Rotisserie w/Daily Starts!

Hope this helps you follow all of the breakdowns!!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Hi guys,

Nickel City checking in...what a difficult draft! I lost so many players 2 or 3 spots before I was set to pick. I had pick #2 and debated between Sid and Karlsson for the longest time. Will try to post a draft recap of my roster later this week.

Here's the waiver activity for this week:
    Add: Joni Ortio Cgy - G
    Drop: Pascal Dupuis Pit - LW,RW
    Cleveland Stammers

Add: Yannick Weber Van - D
    Drop: Francois Beauchemin Col - D
    Cleveland Stammers

Add: Anton Khudobin Anh - G
    $6 Waiver
    Drop: Jason Zucker Min - LW,RW
    Bautista's Aura

Add: Darcy Kuemper Min - G
    $16 Waiver
    Drop: Dennis Seidenberg Bos - D
    The Nickel City

Firstly, I'd like to say that this was a very fun draft to be a part of. It was a draft that required a lot of attention thanks to your draft queue getting depleted after every pick (as other's have mentioned). If I am not picking at the beginning or the end of the round, I tend not to plan too far in advance as it can all change depending on the other teams. So with pick 10, my general strategy was to draft my forwards early, ensure I got at least one elite defenseman and wait on goalies.

Round 1 : Steven Stamkos. Probably could have gone in a number of directions here but Stamkos was sitting here and was my number one draft pick in Smythe last season (third overall). I was looking at Giroux but Pengwin sniped him the pick before so I couldn't let Stamkos slide any further, especially considering that he'll likely gain wing eligibility early on in the season.

Round 2 : Vladimir Tarasenko. Hoping he puts up at least the same numbers as last season. So far in the preseason, he's showing that just may be the case.

Round 3 : Kris Letang. Rounds 2-3 saw a run of 7 goalies get picked before my next selection. I figured I should zig while everyone zagged and took Letang who was enormously valuable in an abbreviated season last year. If he were to stay healthy, and that's a big if, he could outproduce Karlsson in this format.

Round 4 : Anze Kopitar. I wanted to minimize risk in the early rounds. I know center is extremely deep but Kopitar was a borderline top 10 player two seasons ago in this format by my rankings and is a good bounce-back candidate to hit 70 this year with solid all-around numbers.

Round 5 : Filip Forsberg. Another young star who I'm hoping puts up at least similar numbers to last season with the potential for more. Plus the dual eligibility will come in handy when the injury bug eventually hits.

Round 6 : Semyon Varlamov. Finally caved and took a goaltender. If he even remotely bounces back to the 2013-14 season, this is great value considering most workhorse goalies went in the first 4 rounds.

Round 7 : Sean Monahan. Continuing the trend of drafting forwards with upside, Monahan has some who believe he's due for a little regression after last season while others believe he is just scratching the surface. Count me in the latter group.

Round 9 : Aaron Ekblad. Needed a second stable defenseman. Green was still on the board but with Letang already on my team I couldn't risk carrying another high-end BAB defenseman. Ekblad is solid as a rock and that Florida team is always a year away. Maybe this year they finally break out like the Islanders?

Round 9 : Chris Kunitz. A theme is starting to form here. In Kunitz, here is another forward who was outstanding in the 2013-14 season and should bounce-back from a down year last season.

Round 10 : Karri Ramo. Affectionately dubbed the "weird point" in the draft. Yes, there were a number of 60-point forwards on the board. Yes, I could have added another defenseman to help shore up that part of my team. Most of the goalies left were apart of some sort of tandem (Detroit, San Jose, Winnipeg). For me, there is something about that Calgary team that I love and I'm betting that Hiller does not keep his job. If Ramo is the starter, I reached appropriately.

Round 11: Ryan Miller. I believe this is the pick where Pengwin lost his shit. He needed a goalie here. I had Miller queued up to help compensate my reach on Ramo the round before. I was happy to see him still on the board.

Round 12: Ryan Strome. Again, if I'm not taking a bounce-back player than I'm taking a breakout-youngster with the potential for more. If Strome ends up playing with Tavares, not only does he gain wing eligibility, but he'll score a buttload of points.

Round 13: David Krejci. Value pick in a bounce-back veteran. Continuing my draft theme.

Round 14+. Basically the same theme continues, bounce-back veteran who I think is undervalued or a breakout youngster such as Wingels, Skinner, Hayes, Hertl, Adam Larsson, etc.

At the end of the draft I thought I did a pretty good job of finding bargains and getting some potentially high-end forwards later in the draft. I could have done a better job at picking defense early but since I'm pretty active on the waiver wire during the season, I figure I'll nab someone to fill that need at a later date.

As always, if anyone is looking to make some deals, send me an offer. There is literally nobody on my team that is untouchable as evidenced by the 7 trades I made last year in Smythe (including dealing away the aforementioned Stamkos).

Best of luck to all this season!

TheNugeCooge aka Cleveland Stammers
    10 Team Yahoo H2H Keep 5 G, A, PPP, FOW, SOG, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SV, SV%
    C,C,LW,LW,RW,RW,F,F,D,D,D,D,G,G,BN,BN,BN,BN,BN,IR+ ,IR+
    Keepers:
    Makar, J. Hughes, T. Meier, K. Connor, Ovechkin

I'd love to hear more about the "reach" factor thing... I mean, how does that work, and what's the baseline for measuring a pick as a reach or note?I was following my Fantasy Hockey Geek list, fuelled by Dobber's projections, and almost always took the BPA according to that list. Exceptions were when the higher player remaining on my list was injury prone, or if that player belonged to a team likely to produce terrible +/-s this year (so, BUF, TOR, etc.).

Anyway, my draft. I had the #1 spot, which meant 2 back-to-back picks and then wait for 24 picks before my next shot. I also got booted from the draft page on three occasions, and that caused some issues.

Round 1: Ovechkin. No brainer in these settings.

Rounds 2 & 3: Rask & Bobvrovsky. Rask was a pick I intended. From there, I was disconnected and the system took the top player in my (unranked) queue. I was going back and forth on a goalie and a D. I've never really used the queue system before, so this was a lesson learned. Anyway, in hind, this move allowed me to not worry about goaltending the rest of the way.

Rounds 4 & 5: MacKinnon & Faulk. The Dman I was planning to take with that 3rd pick is selected a few spots in front of me. I would have preferred a more clear cut #1 Dman, but a run on D had just started this round.

Rounds 6 & 7: E. Kane & Keith. With Kane and OV, I feel like I've got some significant firepower for SOG and HIT. Keith, meanwhile, gives me 45+ points plus good +/- (to offset Kane's) and PPP.

Rounds 8 & 9: Thornton & J. Johnson. I felt like I was getting a lot of value in these mid rounds. Some GMs were picking players 30-50 spots down my list at this stage. Guess we'll see!

Rounds 10 & 11: Zibanejad & B. Schenn. More HIT & SOG with healthy G and A contributions.

Rounds 12 & 13: Lee & Hamonic. Ditto.

Rounds 14 & 15: Boedker & Del Zotto. In 5 of the last 6 rounds, I'd been taking 1 F and 1 D per, giving my team some good balance up and down the roster. I've also selected a tonne of multi-position guys. By the end of the night, I have something like 8 guys who can play centre and 7 who can play LW or RW.

Rounds 16 & 17: Nelson & Hammond. Hammond = an inexpensive insurance policy in case of any serious injuries to my starters. Nelson, meanwhile, projects to produce much like Lee, minus the HIT.

Rounds 18 & 19: Despres & Moulson. I passed over both these guys for 1-2 rounds and 'reached' for guys slightly lower on my list, in part because I already felt pretty good about my HIT situation (Despres) and in part because I'm not sure I trust any BUF player not to be a -100 on the year. Still, we're pretty deep in the draft and I'm feeling good about my team so far, so I'm starting to play a few hunches here.

Rounds 20 & 21: D. Brown & Markstrom. Brown is my buy-low, bounce back candidate for the year -- if he can get 40 points and 200/200 SOG/HIT, this is a steal this late in the draft. Markstrom is a long-game pick: I'm planning to let him sit on my roster for at least 4 months to see how the VAN goaltending situation pans out.

Rounds 22 & 23: Gerbe & Ceci. Gerbe pops out at my from my list because of the high SOG total, and he seemed to be a better fit in CAR's system. Ceci is a bit of a homer pick for me, but at this point I'm picking reserves exclusively.

Rounds 24 & 25: Plotnikov & Zadorov. I remember seeing Plotnikov's name keep coming up on the Dobber site and how he's projecting to start the season in a top 6 role (at the time of picking, however, I had not -- and still haven't -- checked to see if that's still looking like the case). With Zadorov, that was me throwing a dart... my hunch is he'll have a better opportunity in COL. Plus, HIT.

Overall, I actually really liked the team I drafted, in spite of the fact that I was booted out of the draft page on 3 occasions (learned my lesson after the first one tho': organize your queue!). I would have preferred one more high end forward or D in the early rounds, but I like my goaltending in spite of the draft page snafu, am pretty high on my D, and I think I picked up a lot of value in the mid-rounds while others were reaching or trying to fill holes because of moves made in the early rounds. I do have a few 'projects' on board tho'.... MacKinnon, E. Kane, Boedker, Moulson. I need at least two of those guys to meet expectations if I'm going to compete, because OV is the only guy on my roster likely to hit PPG status.
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

C: Draisaitl* (LW), Dubois, Nelson
    LW: Svechnikov* (RW), Hagel
    RW: Kucherov*, Tarasenko, Wilson, Stone, Laine, Reinhart, P. Kane (IR)
    D: Fox*, Karlsson*, Chabot (IR), Faulk, Martinez
    G:: Vasilevskiy*, Vanecek, Adin, Knight (IR)

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Great summaries guys!
    I love these! REP to both of you!

The Wolverine

Might as well add a few thoughts while I have a bit of time.

I had to autodraft so difficult to plan so main focus was goaltending and overall hope that I am not too unbalanced.

Goalies are key when autodrafting as the computer fills starters first and then bench. I knew I was getting a top skater first, surprised it was Tavares so happy with a potential art ross winner. Quick and Crawford is a solid duo.

Balance-wise I am a bit stronger at centre and weaker on the left but if Staal gets left wing eligibility then that helps.

Overall happy with my squad so when I am back will look into any potential adjustments/trades.

C: Tavares, Turris, Spezza, Staal, Lehtera
    L: Ryan, Wilson, Filppula, MacArthur, Elias
    R: Eberle, Iginla, Gaborik, Brouwer, Tanguay
    D: Shattenkirk, Giordano, Vatanen, Kronwall, Phaneuf, Campbell, Boyle
    G: Quick, Crawford, Ward

Quote Originally Posted by TheNugeCooge View Post
    Firstly, I'd like to say that this was a very fun draft to be a part of. It was a draft that required a lot of attention thanks to your draft queue getting depleted after every pick (as other's have mentioned). If I am not picking at the beginning or the end of the round, I tend not to plan too far in advance as it can all change depending on the other teams. So with pick 10, my general strategy was to draft my forwards early, ensure I got at least one elite defenseman and wait on goalies.

Round 1 : Steven Stamkos. Probably could have gone in a number of directions here but Stamkos was sitting here and was my number one draft pick in Smythe last season (third overall). I was looking at Giroux but Pengwin sniped him the pick before so I couldn't let Stamkos slide any further, especially considering that he'll likely gain wing eligibility early on in the season.

Round 2 : Vladimir Tarasenko. Hoping he puts up at least the same numbers as last season. So far in the preseason, he's showing that just may be the case.

Round 3 : Kris Letang. Rounds 2-3 saw a run of 7 goalies get picked before my next selection. I figured I should zig while everyone zagged and took Letang who was enormously valuable in an abbreviated season last year. If he were to stay healthy, and that's a big if, he could outproduce Karlsson in this format.

Round 4 : Anze Kopitar. I wanted to minimize risk in the early rounds. I know center is extremely deep but Kopitar was a borderline top 10 player two seasons ago in this format by my rankings and is a good bounce-back candidate to hit 70 this year with solid all-around numbers.

Round 5 : Filip Forsberg. Another young star who I'm hoping puts up at least similar numbers to last season with the potential for more. Plus the dual eligibility will come in handy when the injury bug eventually hits.

Round 6 : Semyon Varlamov. Finally caved and took a goaltender. If he even remotely bounces back to the 2013-14 season, this is great value considering most workhorse goalies went in the first 4 rounds.

Round 7 : Sean Monahan. Continuing the trend of drafting forwards with upside, Monahan has some who believe he's due for a little regression after last season while others believe he is just scratching the surface. Count me in the latter group.

Round 9 : Aaron Ekblad. Needed a second stable defenseman. Green was still on the board but with Letang already on my team I couldn't risk carrying another high-end BAB defenseman. Ekblad is solid as a rock and that Florida team is always a year away. Maybe this year they finally break out like the Islanders?

Round 9 : Chris Kunitz. A theme is starting to form here. In Kunitz, here is another forward who was outstanding in the 2013-14 season and should bounce-back from a down year last season.

Round 10 : Karri Ramo. Affectionately dubbed the "weird point" in the draft. Yes, there were a number of 60-point forwards on the board. Yes, I could have added another defenseman to help shore up that part of my team. Most of the goalies left were apart of some sort of tandem (Detroit, San Jose, Winnipeg). For me, there is something about that Calgary team that I love and I'm betting that Hiller does not keep his job. If Ramo is the starter, I reached appropriately.

Round 11: Ryan Miller. I believe this is the pick where Pengwin lost his shit. He needed a goalie here. I had Miller queued up to help compensate my reach on Ramo the round before. I was happy to see him still on the board.

Round 12: Ryan Strome. Again, if I'm not taking a bounce-back player than I'm taking a breakout-youngster with the potential for more. If Strome ends up playing with Tavares, not only does he gain wing eligibility, but he'll score a buttload of points.

Round 13: David Krejci. Value pick in a bounce-back veteran. Continuing my draft theme.

Round 14+. Basically the same theme continues, bounce-back veteran who I think is undervalued or a breakout youngster such as Wingels, Skinner, Hayes, Hertl, Adam Larsson, etc.

At the end of the draft I thought I did a pretty good job of finding bargains and getting some potentially high-end forwards later in the draft. I could have done a better job at picking defense early but since I'm pretty active on the waiver wire during the season, I figure I'll nab someone to fill that need at a later date.

As always, if anyone is looking to make some deals, send me an offer. There is literally nobody on my team that is untouchable as evidenced by the 7 trades I made last year in Smythe (including dealing away the aforementioned Stamkos).

Best of luck to all this season!

TheNugeCooge aka Cleveland Stammers
    I'm in the Norris league, but our teams are very similar! I too have Tarasenko, Letang, Forsberg, Kunitz, Hertl, Wingels. Good luck this year!

The Wolverine

I've just made a deal with Bautista's Aura:

Bautista's Aura receives: Kyle Turris
    Devil's Backbonino receives: Gabriel Landeskog

I think this will be a win-win deal. I was centre heavy and could've used a LW upgrade, especially one with more grit. He had plenty of LW eligible players and my thinking is he should get more offense out of it.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    I've just made a deal with Bautista's Aura:

Bautista's Aura receives: Kyle Turris
    Devil's Backbonino receives: Gabriel Landeskog

I think this will be a win-win deal. I was centre heavy and could've used a LW upgrade, especially one with more grit. He had plenty of LW eligible players and my thinking is he should get more offense out of it.
    So far so good: 2 points for Turris last night. May have made the mistake of overdrafting for potential in a one year league. Not too many offensive game-breakers on my team, though a lot of break-out candidates (I'm looking at you Ennis, Kreider, Smith, Atkinson, Silfverberg, and Dano (why are you still on my team?))
    Yahoo 12 team H2H Keeper (Keep 7 vets; 3 prospects (Skater < 201 GP; Goalie < 101GP)

Categories: G, A, P, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW, Hits, Blocks, W, GAA, Sv% Saves

Start 3LW, 3C, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 8Bn

C: Crosby, RNH, Stepan, Faksa
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Jenner (c), Komarov (c, rw), Dano
    RW: Voracek (lw), Neal, Hornqvist, Silfverberg, Buchnevich (lw), Boeser
    D: Karlsson, Letang, Ellis, Muzzin, Slavin, Boychuk
    G: Price, Bernier, Grubauer, Pickard