Thread: Miller or Ward

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Miller or Ward

I know pathetic pickings but it is what it is.

This is for the league in my sig. I am obviously going to be keeping Holtby but goalies are usually held onto pretty tight in my league, so there are normally slim pickings for starting goalies come draft time. Hence the reason why I want to keep one of the other two. The way I see it is Miller is going to get more starts but on an expected crappy (ageing) team, Ward is going to be the starter but is expected to lose his job to Lack in the not to disrant future, so I go with Miller right???

I then draft another goalie from the slim pickings and expected back ups and hope I strike gold with my choice.
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Miller or Ward

I don't like either, but I don't like Ward more.

Miller would be my choice between these two.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

You're right to like Miller more. At least he has a chance of being decent this year.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hey, if he's named Miller, he can't be all bad, am I right!? I'm with the Miller crowd, even if I weren't a Miller. I don't think Van City will be as bad as some may think, but Lack might take over from Ward sooner than some think.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Genius

I'd take Miller.

I had both, in different leagues last year. I actually got a fine drive out of Miller, and then was fortunate enough to have Lack, when Miller went down. Ward, I think I used him one week last year. They both have ugly contracts.

Both Miller and Ward are coming off second seasons plus, of questionable performance. Therefore, I don't feel age is a factor in the discussion, despite Ward being quite a bit younger. Miller is still young enough for a bounce back

Vancouver was a much better team than Carolina last year. I certainly favour the Canucks this coming year too, but have some fantasy concerns regarding their recent moves. Carolina hasn't done a whole lot to improve themselves. So, wins is in favour of Vancouver. Surprisingly, Carolina had one of the lowest shots against totals in the NHL last season. This gives reason for optimism for the Canes fans, but devalues their goaltenders a bit, in some formats.

Miller was streaky. Hot/cold games. Ward didn't have too many 'hot' games. Mostly cold/cold, but that would be partially attributable to the non-playoff Carolina team. Save percentage was .911 to .910 in favour of Miller, so not a factor in the discussion, as far as I'm concerned.

The final kicker though, is the internal challenge for both tenders. Miller/Markstrom vs. Ward/Lack.

Lack has shown solid stretches for the past two seasons, that he could be counted on as a starter. His .921 last season is rather NHL starterish. I see the competition in Carolina is being fairly wide open. Odds are pretty close to 50/50, that he could be the starter, in my mind.

Markstrom had an excellent season in the AHL (about time). The Canucks sending Lack to Carolina, clears the way for him to finally be in the NHL. Miller demonstrated that he is vulnerable last season. However, I would still leave the odds at only 20% that Markstrom becomes the Canucks major starter. Vancouver would be wise to steadily implement him into the league, after his bouncy pro-start. Abuse Miller if things aren't going well, is what is on my mind. Injury to Miller could really bode well for Markstrom. A chance to drive the car for 20 games! (anyone remember 'The Hamburgler'?) Usually somewhere in the NHL, every season, there is a break through goaltender, and they aren't always from the highly glamorous suite, that manage he break through.

All-in-all, I find the Canucks goaltending much more interesting.

Dobber Sports Giant

Miller is a bit better on a better team. Ward is a bit younger. Both are paid too much, and that makes them worse. If I had the unfortunate choice of choosing I'd take miller.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Administrator

Sure Ward is younger but his 22 wins and .910 last year were his best since 2011-12. He hasn't really been fantasy-relevant in many years.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

Miller > Ward.....
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Monster

Miller for me too. Ward has Lack to contend with and I don't see that going well for him. Miller has nobody to contend with and while I don't think he's a great goalie any more, he should probably put up a decent number of wins. Markstrom, sure I guess he could spring out of nowhere and steal starts but given his pathetic track record in the NHL I expect 60+ starts for Miller.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Ace

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, it looks like it's Vancouver over Carolina then.

Time to start looking for draft targets.
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Agree with Miller. But a bold boom bust move is a rejuvenated award following a trade. But you can't guesstimate if/when a trade would come. (Just thinking Dubnyk here)...the right change in scenery could rejuvenate Cam.