Thread: Narrowing down last keeper, Nichushkin vs Semin vs Stone

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Narrowing down last keeper, Nichushkin vs Semin vs Stone

Trying to narrow down my last keepers for next year to one of Nichushkin, Semin or Stone. Pretty happy with the rest of my keepers for long term so ideally would be looking to grab one who's going to do the best for next year. Long term would be a nice bonus.

Scoring categories: G, A, PPP, +/-, SOG, BLK, PIM

Here's my thinking right now for all three:

Nichushkin - Good chance he's a part of Dallas' top 6 which has only gotten better. Also a good shot of landing a spot with Benn and Seguin which would be massive. 1st PP opportunities seem limited though, is there any chance he could nab a spot on that unit with Benn, Seguin, Spezza, Sharp on the roster?

Stone - Had a ridiculous last half of the year. Once Cameron took the helm in Ottawa he seemed keen on giving Stone all the opportunities he needed to really flourish and he definitely took advantage of that. Seems pretty prime for 1st line/1st PP duties next year. Finishing with a 16.6 sh% and a 10.34 on ice sh% seems a little unsustainable though. Any chance he manages to stay a top-30 scoring player next year?

Semin - Crazy talent/potential, lots of questions about whether he can live up to it. Bergevin's comments make it seem like they're slotting him into a top 6/1st PP role but with Therrien's coaching and Semin's attitude I half expect him to wind up on the 4th line within a few weeks. By far the most risky of the 3 since I would be banking on him having a huge bounceback season next year.

Any thoughts?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Narrowing down last keeper, Nichushkin vs Semin vs Stone

I would take Nichushkin every day in a long-term keeper league.

Semin is incredibly risky and will turn 32 this year. There's also a chance he doesn't do well in MTL and leaves the NHL for good. Stone is a talented player, but I don't think he can sustain a 16+ shooting percentage. In the long-run, I doubt he's a 70-point forward; maybe in the 60s, but 70 is a stretch.

As for Nichushkin, I think he has the potential to be a superstar. 30-35 goals, 70-80 points consistently, IMO. And he's the youngest of the bunch. Keep him.

- - - Updated - - -

I would take Nichushkin every day in a long-term keeper league.

Semin is incredibly risky and will turn 32 this year. There's also a chance he doesn't do well in MTL and leaves the NHL for good. Stone is a talented player, but I don't think he can sustain a 16+ shooting percentage. In the long-run, I doubt he's a 70-point forward; maybe in the 60s, but 70 is a stretch.

As for Nichushkin, I think he has the potential to be a superstar. 30-35 goals, 70-80 points consistently, IMO. And he's the youngest of the bunch. Keep him.
    10 Team, Weekly H2H (Set Daily), 31-Player, No Cap, Dynasty League

Categories: G, A, +/-, Hits, PPP, ATOI, SOG, W, S%, GAA

F: Crosby,
    Seguin, Kessel, Malkin, Tarasenko, Laine, Hall, Pacioretty, Panarin, Gaudreau, Kuznetsov, Kucherov, Eichel, Monahan, Krejci, Huberdeau, Scheifele, Drouin, S. Reinhart, Radulov

D: Karlsson, Hedman, Shattenkirk,
    Barrie, Hamilton, Gostisbehere, Vatanen

G: Rask, Fleury, Dubnyk, Schneider

Dobber Sports Ninja

Welcome letangin9!

Semin is a distant third in keeper discussions. It's clearly between Nichushkin and Stone. I'd take Stone and yes, he probably won't sustain that 16% shooting percentage, but he's not going to fall off too much. His Takeaways were tied for the most in the NHL, which speaks to his hockey sense. He had 47 points in 46 games from the turn of the calendar to 2015 to the end of the regular season. I really like Nichushkin, but we're still seduced by his promise/potential, not his production. It's easy to project, but while it's a close call for me, I'd definitely take Stone over Nichushkin.

Obviously, if you can trade before making your final protections, then offer both up and take the best deal and protect the other. Fugget about Semin or you'll be left with egg on your face...yeah, that's it, egg.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'd go with Nichushkin over Stone by a little. Stone did have a great second-half of the season but I'm not sure he produces like that consistently for years to come. I think Nichushkin has better upside offensively and will eventually benefit with PP time playing alongside Seguin, Benn, Sharp, Klingberg.

Dobber Sports Genius

Stone for me. If not convinced, then he will net you the most in the trade market in my opinion.

Nichushkin is second. If this, if that, then this. Don't get me wrong, he's a terrific talent and might play with some sensational talent.

Semin. He'll slip for a bunch more rounds. Older and only getting consideration due to the hype of the new contract. Very poor trade value too. Lots of guy won't touch him, and most everyone would love to have one of the first two.

Dobber Sports Deity

Stone would be my choice followed by Nichushkin, but Stone for me easily.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Safe bet is Stone, but if you want to gamble with elite level talent (and I would) I would keep Nichushkin. The guy could line up next to Art Ross candidates in Seguin & Benn and could put up huge numbers.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ace

Nichushkin for me as well. Love his upside with BennGuin
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

Dobber Sports Superstar

Ya, stay away from gettin' stuff on your face!! This is about Stone and Nish. Give me Stone. I like ugly! This is a guy who goes to the tough spots and dials the puck home. He did it in Jr and he did it in the NHL when he got his chance. The Sens will get the puck on his stick, 5 on 5 and on PP 1, count on it. Nish is a great player, but can you say he is a cornerstone piece for the Stars? My opinion only, but I think Stone becomes a cornerstone piece for the Sens. And to think that I picked up Hoffman instead of Stone on the WW last year, by the time I clued in, too late!!
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Genius

Stone
    Nichushkin
    Semin
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Legend

Yeah Semin isn't even on the same planet as the two kids. But, as much as I love Nichushkin's upside, I think you need to go Stone here. I'm not as worried about Nichushkin's "injury" as I am about his hulking, lanky frame and penchant for crashing the net leading to more injuries. I'm also not 100% sold that he lines up next to Benn and Seguin at ES, although as a Chooch owner I would certainly welcome it. Stone is still young and I think he outproduces Nichushkin for at least the next 2 years... and their upsides aren't worlds apart either.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Recruit

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll probably going to end up going with Stone.

Semin was a real stretch to even consider. He would have to have an unreal year to make it worth it which doesn't sound incredibly likely. Might take a flier on him with one of my last picks in the off-chance he does anything notable on Montreal.

Stone vs Nichushkin is a pretty close race though. Hard to turn down a guy who lit it up the second he got the opportunity to do so for a guy who has promise but nothing to show for it just yet. I think both players are going to be unreal but I'll have to go with the guy who is essentially a lock for top 6/1st PP minutes right off the bat and has the numbers to back it up. At least in the near term I think he'll outproduce Nichushkin, maybe I'll be able to snag again him in the draft.

Dobber Sports Pro

My vote goes to Stone here, with Nitch as very close second. However, I like the idea of shopping them both to see what you can get.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Easy decision here is Stone. People don't believe he's the real deal yet, and his draft position is probably to blame. He has more upside than Nichushkin and if he can stay healthy, he'll produce more year after year. I'd expect something like 0.9ppg over 65-75 gp. Take the middle and that's 63 points in 70 games. Imagine if he plays 82 games though... yowza (74pts)! I have a hard time believing that Nich will hit 63 over 82 in the next 2 years, and it's not like he's a guarantee to stay healthy either.

Nich will be great too! Probably a 70pt guy with upside for more in his prime. He's years away though.

Take the smarter player that's producing now, and has more upside. Win-win.
    12 team keeper
    Points only: G-1, A-1, W-2, SO-3; weekly rosters: 7F, 5D, 2G; keep 20 of 25

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov
    D: OEL, Hamilton, Mo. Rielly, Parayko, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Theodore
    G: Price, Dubnyk, Lehner, Hellebuyck, Greiss

2014-15 Champ

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Stone would be my choice followed by Nichushkin, but Stone for me easily.
    I echo this.