View Poll Results: Cam Talbot or Martin Jones?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cam Talbot

12 66.67%
  • Martin Jones

6 33.33%

Thread: Keeper pool: Cam Talbot vs Martin Jones

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Keeper pool: Cam Talbot vs Martin Jones

In a salary cap keeper's pool where W=2, OTL=1 and SO=3, who would you pick between:

Martin Jones-SJ, 25 years old, 3M$

or

Cam Talbot-EDM, 28 years old, 1,450M$

Please tell your reasoning. Thanks!
    Keeper Pool. Points only. Salary Cap 85M$ (yearly salary, not cap hit). 28 GM League.
    Only the best 11F, 4D, 1G of every teams counts in the standing.

Players list here:
    https://ultimatekeeperspool.com/seattle/

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Keeper pool: Cam Talbot vs Martin Jones

Talbot. He comes at a cheaper price, and his team is trending up...way up if McDavid is half as good as they say.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I like Talbot. Jones put up below average numbers last year behind a pretty good defensive team and has never had to carry the load for multiple games. Talbot showed he's not just good against the weaker competition that back-ups usually face when he filled in seamlessly for King Henrik. The knock on Talbot is that NYR had/has great defense. Even with that caveat on Talbot's stats I still take him. I don't believe Jones is number one material.
    20 team H2H Fantrax Cap Dynasty
    2018/2018 Cap=90 mil
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, SOG, FO%, HIT, BLK, TOI/G
    W, GAA, SV%, SV, SHO
    3C/LW/RW, 6D, 2Sk, 2G

C: Backstrom, Bergeron, Eichel
    L: Benn, Rakell, Coleman, Goldobin, Weal, B. McGinn
    R: Pavelski, Radulov, Panik, B. Tanev, D. Ryan
    D: Burns, Josi, Weber, Ellis, Manson, Forbort, Stecher, Weegar
    G: Talbot, Elliott
    Farm: Harkins, Hayden, Kampf, Highmore, Dickinson, Bjork, Motte, Foegele, Rychel, Kossila, Poturalski, Graves, Bear, Nielsen, Timmins, Ozhiganov, McKeown, Gillies, Boyle, Brossoit, Ellis, Rittich

Dobber Sports Stud

Talbot as he is cheaper and I feel is on par or better than Jones
    12 Team H2H (Daily) - Keep 10 + 5(Farm)
    4C/3LW/3RW/4D/3G/4Bench/3IR
    G A Pts +/- STP GWG SOG/ W Sv% GAA SHO
    Centers:
    A. Barkov (IR), C. McDavid, J. Carter, Y. Gourde(LW), N. Paul(LW), C. Stephenson
    LWs:
    F. Forsberg, J. Guentzel, A. Duclair(RW), E. Haula(C), A. Killorn
    RWs:
    N. Ehlers(LW), V. Tarasenko, F. Gaudreau(C), V. Podkolzin
    D:
    T. Chabot, C. Makar, M. Dumba, OEL, N. Schmidt
    G:
    S. Bobrovky, T. Demko, J. Gibson(IR), A. Stolarz(IR)
    Farm:
    J. Annunen, A. Kaliyev, A. Lundell, F. Lysell, M. Rossi

Dobber Sports Deity

Someone else asked this same question a couple weeks ago:

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...ghlight=talbot

For the record, I prefer Talbot. I think the Oilers will be an improved team, both offensively and defensively under McLellan.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Sir View Post
    Talbot as he is cheaper and I feel is on par or better than Jones
    I will be *that* guy and go against the consensus; I'll take Jones.

SJ let Niemi walk, and signed Jones to a 3-year deal; he's a "golden boy" and the starting job is his to lose.

Talbot is on a one year deal on a team with T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E defense. How is that team going to win, other than playing pond style hockey? Even with McDavid, I still think it takes awhile for Edmonton to put things together. Look at this defence: Andrej Sekera; Nikita Nikitin; Justin Schultz; Mark Fayne; Andrew Ference; Eric Gryba; Oscar Klefbom; Griffin Reinhart; Keith Aulie.

I also don't put a ton of stock into the assessment of Jones last year in LA. That team was a mess, and losing Voynov completely threw that team off. Heck, even Quick didn't look great in stretches last year.

The question I ask myself is this: will Talbot be a number one goalie after this year? I don't know. Will Jones? I think the odds are in his favour, with that contract. (And knowing that Stalock will likely be gone after this year, given Groesnick has a one-way deal the following year.)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I will be *that* guy and go against the consensus; I'll take Jones.

SJ let Niemi walk, and signed Jones to a 3-year deal; he's a "golden boy" and the starting job is his to lose.

Talbot is on a one year deal on a team with T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E defense. How is that team going to win, other than playing pond style hockey? Even with McDavid, I still think it takes awhile for Edmonton to put things together. Look at this defence: Andrej Sekera; Nikita Nikitin; Justin Schultz; Mark Fayne; Andrew Ference; Eric Gryba; Oscar Klefbom; Griffin Reinhart; Keith Aulie.

I also don't put a ton of stock into the assessment of Jones last year in LA. That team was a mess, and losing Voynov completely threw that team off. Heck, even Quick didn't look great in stretches last year.

The question I ask myself is this: will Talbot be a number one goalie after this year? I don't know. Will Jones? I think the odds are in his favour, with that contract. (And knowing that Stalock will likely be gone after this year, given Groesnick has a one-way deal the following year.)
    Sekera and Gryba are actually an improvement, and a new coaching system will improve their overall team defense. I won't be surprised at all to see an improvement to the way their team plays D.

Also, Keith Aulie wasn't given a qualifying offer and is now a UFA. He isn't coming back to Edmonton.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

SJ, 25 years old, 3M$
    or
    EDM, 28 years old, 1,450M$

It does appear that the safer ride for the moment is the 25 year old, with the $3.0M contract, on a better, albeit, middling team? Age is to his benefit, as is the confidence expressed with the contract. Talbot, of course, did not have the benefit of receiving a new contract at this time.

It is very easy to be enamoured with Talbot. What he did for the Rangers was tremendous, and I was one of the fantasy beneficiaries. Over the long haul, Edmonton is a very, very interesting team. Talbot would not be the first goaltender to make his mark beginning at this age.

Jones is a commodity without clear definition where fantasy is concerned. The Kings played the bejeebers out of Quick last year, failing to give us much of a view of what Jones represents, which is bothersome. Interesting that divisional rival SJ had such a strong opinion of him.

50/50 hindsight has the potential to show a very strong win by one side or the other. Both appear to have a tenuous grip on the starting job in their respective towns and are logical break through players.

In cases like these, I believe you should follow your heart. Obviously, stacking as many of this style of tender as possible on your roster, is the first preference.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Talbot. He proved himself last year and is on a Oilers team that is going to be good in a year or two.

Note on Jones - He is competing with Stalock for games and lets not forget what happened to the last backup that was traded out of LA. Bernier went to the Leafs and has not been nearly as good as he was in LA. Maybe its the system that LA has that makese Jones look good? Just speculation.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Sekera and Gryba are actually an improvement, and a new coaching system will improve their overall team defense. I won't be surprised at all to see an improvement to the way their team plays D.

Also, Keith Aulie wasn't given a qualifying offer and is now a UFA. He isn't coming back to Edmonton.
    Yes, Sekera and Gybra are an improvement...it's still a very crappy group. Just better than the very, very crappy group last year. Saying a new coaching system will improve defense is speculative; lots of coaching changes have not resulted in that. I just don't have any faith in Edmonton at this point; granted - that's just my opinion.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Yes, Sekera and Gybra are an improvement...it's still a very crappy group. Just better than the very, very crappy group last year. Saying a new coaching system will improve defense is speculative; lots of coaching changes have not resulted in that. I just don't have any faith in Edmonton at this point; granted - that's just my opinion.
    and saying they are still a very crappy group is also speculative. You don't know how they will respond under new coaching, same for the forwards in their own end zone.

Dobber Sports Pro

Talbot will be on a better team and much better cap hit.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I forgot to mention that this year I'll be competing for the championship and already have Jake Allen as my goalie of the future.

Drafting Jones or Talbot would be to have a second goalie in hopes that either Allen or Jones/Talbot has a great season and stacks points.

As of now, I was actually leaning towards Jones because of his age and the fact he is on the better team, at least for this season. Talbot is very interesting as far as value goes but I don't think he's gonna stack enough points in Edmonton this season to challenge Allen (only one goalie counts in the standings).

Is Talbot *that much* better than Jones? I feel like the defensive system in NYR helped him alot and might struggle to post comparable numbers.

Also Talbot is cheaper now but becomes a UFA next season while Jones is signed at a great number (3M$) for the next 3 years. I have a feeling the next Talbot contract could be more than that.

Tell me if i'm wrong.
    Keeper Pool. Points only. Salary Cap 85M$ (yearly salary, not cap hit). 28 GM League.
    Only the best 11F, 4D, 1G of every teams counts in the standing.

Players list here:
    https://ultimatekeeperspool.com/seattle/