Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cam Talbot - 4th overall?

I...am your father.

Default Cam Talbot - 4th overall?

I just traded Andrej Sekera and 9th overall to get the 4th overall pick

My team had 35 players and I need to get down to 31 by September, and I have five draft picks so if I want to use them I need to get down to 26 players. My team is deep with really only two or three obvious dropsies.

Anyway, my goaltending is Halak/Anderson/Elliott/Stalock and I want to be more secure. So I acquired this pick for the above. The draft will go like this:

1. McDavid (duh)
    2. Eichel (duh)
    3. Strome or Marner?
    4. My pick. I plan to take Talbot.

What do you think? 30 wins? Plus a future on a winning team? Or the next Scrivens?

The only other players I would CONSIDER are Strome (if he slips), Marner, or John Klingberg. Love Klingberg and it's tempting. But have Letang/Franson/Kronwall/Yandle/Pouliot

Goalie pickings are incredibly slim. The only goalies that will be taken at the draft will be Talbot, Hammond, Murray and then maybe Darling or Samsonov
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Cam Talbot - 4th overall?

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post

My team had 35 players and I need to get down to 31 by September, and I have five draft picks so if I want to use them I need to get down to 26 players. My team is deep with really only two or three obvious dropsies.

Anyway, my goaltending is Halak/Anderson/Elliott/Stalock and I want to be more secure. So I acquired this pick for the above. The draft will go like this:

1. McDavid (duh)
    2. Eichel (duh)
    3. Strome or Marner?

What do you think? 30 wins? Plus a future on a winning team? Or the next Scrivens?

The only other players I would CONSIDER are Strome (if he slips), Marner, or John Klingberg. Love Klingberg and it's tempting. But have Letang/Franson/Kronwall/Yandle/Pouliot

Goalie pickings are incredibly slim. The only goalies that will be taken at the draft will be Talbot, Hammond, Murray and then maybe Darling or Samsonov
    Personally, I'm not sold on Talbot being anything more than ordinary. That defense is still suspect, unless the entire team takes a huge step forward this year I just don't see Talbot being anything more than a 20-25 win goalie with a .910 SV% and 2.50-2.70 ish GAA.

I'd be more tempted to take Marner/Strome and try to package him for a goalie upgrade. Mind you, some leagues goalies are NEVER traded, so you would know if thats a possibility moreso than I.

Dobber Sports Stud

I do really like Talbot but I don't see him getting 30 wins next year. Edmontons D just isnt good enough yet. With that being said, I would take Strome/Marner at 4 and try to acquire the 5th overall pick where I would take Talbot.
    12 Team HTH Keeper
    (F's G=1 A=1, D G=1 A=1, All Skaters PPG=.5, SHG=.5 Goalies W=2 SO=3)

Dress 8 F, 4 D, 2 G weekly

F's-Marner, Rantanen, Crosby, Panarin, Guentzel, Caufield, Kaprizov, Lundell, Tomasino, Holtz, Pavelski, Zuccarello, Hagel, Dach

D-Makar, Josi, Doughty Andersson, AP, Hutson

G-Hellebuyck, Fleury, Comrie, Kochetkov, Wolf, Primeau, Sogaard

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Any chance you can drop down to 5th overall to snag Talbot and an additonal asset upgrade? I would think that the top 4 of McDavid-Eichel-Strome-Marner would be fairly set in stone even with Talbot there so you should likely be able to pick up an upgrade plus still get your guy (assuming the GM with the 5th pick values Strome/Marner as much as most).

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i wouldnt waste a high pick on Talbot. no guarentee he is the oilers goalie of the future. i think he'll be a stop gap until the oilers are able to sign/trade for a legit starter. he might still get some wins in the next couple years but i dont think his peripheral stats will be good. worst case you can always trade strome/marner in a few years for a better goalie.

Administrator

Goalies are all over the place. Talbot could be worth nothing a year from now. In this spot I wouldn't pick a goalie unless he was one of the established starters.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

If goalies are as slim as you indicate, Talbot is the better choice, but it might take 2-3 years. EDM will be a powerhouse in the near future and having their top goalie would be impossible to acquire later on. You are strong on F and D and you don`t need more picks so no use in taking Strome or Marner.
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post

1. McDavid (duh)
    2. Eichel (duh)
    3. Strome or Marner?

My recommendation would be to wait for Dobber to update the Goalie Rankings on the 20th and then see what he says in the upcoming Fantasy Guide. He's usually spot on, especially with Goalies predictions (except for that little Pavalec miss queue a couple seasons ago).

Dobber Sports Expert

Wouldn't be surprising to see Marner and Strome back in the O this year.

I would also temper my expectations on Talbot. He played behind a very defensively sound team last year with the Rangers. The Oilers are miles behind NYR in terms of 2 way forwards and defensive defenceman that also contributed highly to Talbot's success last season.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Any way to Handcuff him with Nilsson? They've both got 1 year top prove themselves and I could see a Hiller/Ramo type thing going on in Edmonton next year which would limit the value of both. I own Talbot in two leagues so I'm biased and think he will be the guy in 2016-17. This year though I'd project 20 wins in a 60-40% split with Nilsson unless one of them falters hard.
    20 team H2H Fantrax Cap Dynasty
    2018/2018 Cap=90 mil
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, SOG, FO%, HIT, BLK, TOI/G
    W, GAA, SV%, SV, SHO
    3C/LW/RW, 6D, 2Sk, 2G

C: Backstrom, Bergeron, Eichel
    L: Benn, Rakell, Coleman, Goldobin, Weal, B. McGinn
    R: Pavelski, Radulov, Panik, B. Tanev, D. Ryan
    D: Burns, Josi, Weber, Ellis, Manson, Forbort, Stecher, Weegar
    G: Talbot, Elliott
    Farm: Harkins, Hayden, Kampf, Highmore, Dickinson, Bjork, Motte, Foegele, Rychel, Kossila, Poturalski, Graves, Bear, Nielsen, Timmins, Ozhiganov, McKeown, Gillies, Boyle, Brossoit, Ellis, Rittich

Dobber Sports Deity

Goalies are a gamble, especially ones who haven't really proven themselves as a legit starter yet. It's even harder to assume how he will make out considering the recent history of goalies in Edmonton and their performance. That being said, I do think Talbot will be the guy going forward for Chiarelli and I do think Edmonton is on the rise.

If goaltending pickings are slim as you say, I can see why you'd be tempted to take the gamble here. To me that's what this would be; a gamble. Then again, most of the prospects in any draft year are also a gamble.

I'd go for it. Draft Talbot and hope for the best.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would pass on Talbot, go with your heart and take Klingberg.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Stud

Go for it .....if he goes on a bit of a run the general public will fall over themselves for him....that's when you flip him for a more proven stud.
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonald View Post
    I do really like Talbot but I don't see him getting 30 wins next year. Edmontons D just isnt good enough yet.
    Does anyone see merit in the following:
    a) MacLellan will help this team play a better system
    b) Sekera was the best defensive blueliner on the market
    c) The puck will be in the other end more, possession will improve, just from McDavid alone

Does this not help the defense by a little? A lot? A ton?

Also, is Nurse an impact rookie, an average rookie, or a fringe rookie? If you believe in nurse, does he help this team the way say Faulk did for Carolina as a rookie? Or Brodin for Minnesota? Is Nurse a good prospect who is ready, or not? If so, you can make this point d)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'd roll with Talbot. Even if EDM isnt a ton better defensively this year, they will be in the next 2-3 years with Chiarelli at the helm. I think they're going to give Talbot plenty of rope, unless Nilsson, Broissant, or whoever steals the show somehow, similar to what Frederik Andersen did in ANA. You really cant plan for that or predict it. He's definitely not Scrivens.

We may get surprised with a good year from a Wins standpoint, but more likely he'll be a good investment for next year, and hopefully years to come after that. Its a gamble but a safer bet than any prospect after the Top 2. Especially considering how shallow goaltending seems to be.

No reason to take Klingberg if you're already that stacked unless you think he could bring a better goalie in a trade.
    20 Team $$ Dynasty League (23 man roster, 27 man minor roster) w/Salary Cap at $80M on Fantrax **1 Time Champ

G, A, P, +/-, PP, SHP, Hits, Blocks, Wins, Save%, SV, GAA. *1 goalie starts

C - Couture, Kadri, Anisimov, Dvorak
    LW - Marchand, JT Miller, Grabner, Hartman, Duclair
    RW - Duchene, Oshie, Silfverberg, J.Williams
    D - Ristolainen, S.Jones, Martinez, De Haan, Del Zotto, Chychrun, Carlo
    G - Lundqvist, F.Andersen, Raanta
    Minors - Meier, Barbashev, Barber, F.Perron, Heinen, Cholowski, T.Motte, Quenneville, Beaudin, Novak, Sissons, V.Dunn, Lauzon, Hogberg