Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mikael Wikstrand willing to play AHL

Banned

Default Mikael Wikstrand willing to play AHL

According to Sens assistant GM Randy Lee, Mikael Wikstrand is willing to play in the AHL this season:

http://www.vf.se/sport/ishockey/wiks...sar-shlstarten

I thought I'd let people know about Wikstrand if you don't know who he is. He's the Sens best defensive prospect and is very close to NHL ready, which is very surprising after being a seventh round pick in 2012. The Sens are very high on him and are even considering playing him if he makes the team out of camp, according to Friedman from a few months ago and other sources.

Wikstrand is smart, calm and composed and plays a very cerebral two-way game. Last year he played full time in Frolunda in the SHL and put up 20 points in 46 games.

When he was in Mora of the Allsvenskan, he scored 15 goals and 30 assists in 72 games and was often used as their primary shootout weapon. He was also Sweden's PP quarterback at the WJC in 2013.

This is definitely a guy to watch out for who you could grab for nothing right now.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Mikael Wikstrand willing to play AHL

Thanks for sharing Ev!

I researched him on HockeyDB and saw that he plays on the same team as Erik Gustafsson (Oilers prospect that I know). How do they both compare in your opinion?
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Thanks for sharing Ev!

I researched him on HockeyDB and saw that he plays on the same team as Erik Gustafsson (Oilers prospect that I know). How do they both compare in your opinion?
    I don't know much about Gustafsson unfortunately. i have seen more Of Wikstrand on Mora than in Frolunda. I believe Wikstrand plays behind Gustaffon and Falth.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Won't he have a problem entering the United States? Something about him being related to the Wikileaks guy.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    sidebar: silly Oilers let Gustafsson go and now he's in the Blackhawks system.

Dobber Sports Wizard

"Willing to play" in the AHL? Why wouldn't he be? He was a 7th round pick who hasn't even dominated at the SHL. If any GM in the world guarantees him a spot in the NHL, then that GM should be fired.

Not many players can make the jump from SHL to NHL without dominating at the SHL first. Wikstrand was good but there's a long way to go from that until you reach the NHL. Maybe in 2016-2017. That's still pretty impressive for a 7th round pick from 2012. Definitely worth watching how he does in the AHL.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    "Willing to play" in the AHL? Why wouldn't he be? He was a 7th round pick who hasn't even dominated at the SHL. If any GM in the world guarantees him a spot in the NHL, then that GM should be fired.

Not many players can make the jump from SHL to NHL without dominating at the SHL first. Wikstrand was good but there's a long way to go from that until you reach the NHL. Maybe in 2016-2017. That's still pretty impressive for a 7th round pick from 2012. Definitely worth watching how he does in the AHL.
    I meant he is willing to play in the AHL rather than play in the SHL. He recently signed with Farjestad so it was looking like he would be in the SHL again this year, but management has talked to him and it looks like he is willing to play in the AHL which would be best.

also not many young players dominate SHL and many don't need a ton of AHL time but in this case I bet Wikstrand would be there for at least 50%-75% of the season. I wouldn't be shocked to see him in the NHL this year if he does play in the AHL.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I meant he is willing to play in the AHL rather than play in the SHL. He recently signed with Farjestad so it was looking like he would be in the SHL again this year, but management has talked to him and it looks like he is willing to play in the AHL which would be best.

also not many young players dominate SHL and many don't need a ton of AHL time but in this case I bet Wikstrand would be there for at least 50%-75% of the season. I wouldn't be shocked to see him in the NHL this year if he does play in the AHL.
    OK, that makes more sense. It just sounded like he was saying he'd only play in the NHL or go back to SHL. Yes, the AHL would be best for him now.

Yes, not many young players dominate SHL, and for that reason, not many of them can make the jump to the NHL directly from there. Sure, he can get some NHL games if he plays well in the AHL. In that sense, he's close to the NHL.

Banned

Wikstrand getting some national coverage: http://ow.ly/S6RvQ

Banned

Wikstrand has gone back to Sweden so he will either be suspended by the Sens or they will loan him. Disappointing but oh well, Silfverberg did a similar thing and it's not a huge difference either way.

Dobber Sports Deity

Any word on why he went back?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Any word on why he went back?
    just wants to play at home (and earn more money)

The Great One

Mikael Wikstrand unwilling to play AHL

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Mikael Wikstrand unwilling to play AHL
    That's kinda what it would appear like.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

well now they did suspend him. So he's gonna have to play in Binghamton if he wants to play. #WIKSTRANDWATCH2015

#sens suspend Wikstrand, who has gone to Sweden. Murray says he can be a "grocery clerk, play beer league," but not playing for Swedish team