Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ehlers or Meier?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Ehlers or Meier?

As far as wings go who is your choice if you had just one. Nikolaj Ehlers or Timo Meier and why? Prospects Draft this weekend.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Ehlers or Meier?

Definitely Ehlers. Think of Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz, circa 2013-14. Crosby was pretty much the best player in the league, and he brought along Chris Kunitz to a top-10 finish in multi-cat leagues. Ehlers is the Sidney Crosby in this situation.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Veteran

Ehlers.

He has had people drooling on this forum since 6 months prior to his draft year, at least.

Probably the most-desired prospect not named McDavid or Eichel.

He's the complete package, and he's going to a Jets team that desperately needs help in their Top 6, so the opportunity is there for him as well.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Ehlers, easy.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I admit to not knowing a ton about Meier but I do know that I wouldn't take him over Ehlers.

Not many prospects who I would take over Ehlers.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Ehlers, because he is the future of the Winnipeg Jets.. He is going to get ample opportunity to be a top line forward in the peg!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Deity

I've been fortunate enough to see plenty of Mooseheads games over the years. I've also had the pleasure of watching both Ehlers and Meier come into their own in the Q.

I can say with the utmost confidence that Ehlers is the guy here. Don't get me wrong, I love Meier from this past draft but Ehlers is such the better player between the two it's an easy choice.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

I'm probably higher on Meier than most. And I feel that he can/does just fine driving the play on his own but Ehlers is a different tier of prospect altogether and should be the easy choice here.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    I'm probably higher on Meier than most. And I feel that he can/does just fine driving the play on his own but Ehlers is a different tier of prospect altogether and should be the easy choice here.
    I didn't mean to suggest Meier was a plug with the Kunitz comparison, he's definitely a great prospect. But we're talking about Nik Ehlers here. Kid's an absolute beauty.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I didn't mean to suggest Meier was a plug with the Kunitz comparison, he's definitely a great prospect. But we're talking about Nik Ehlers here. Kid's an absolute beauty.
    Ya I understand and agree. Best prospect outside of Mcdavid and Eichel for me. Meier, while a good prospects, is a few rungs down.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Definitely Ehlers. Think of Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz, circa 2013-14. Crosby was pretty much the best player in the league, and he brought along Chris Kunitz to a top-10 finish in multi-cat leagues. Ehlers is the Sidney Crosby in this situation.
    I make it to plenty of Mooseheads games and Ehlers is not always the straw that stirs the drink and certainly wasn't the one carrying Meier to what he accomplished this year. In fact Meier was the best player on the ice many nights. Ehlers is the guy with the dazzling moves and he's a great prospect but Meier can do a bit of everything and do it well. I think many people pumping Ehlers the way they have been (next best prospect after McDavid and Eichel?) are going to be quite surprised when they look back at this thread in 3-4 years. Ehlers has many holes in his game and can be quite selfish. That sort of selfish behaviour might work in Jr but it doesn't play nearly as well against NHL defencemen. When he makes it work it's beautiful and we all drool over it but when it doesn't he looks like a dolt. He was infuriating to watch in some of the Mooseheads final playoff games this past year. Yes, I realize he put up gaudy points but as a great coach said this past NHL playoffs, 'some players have to learn there's another net in the rink'.

Not saying I'm putting my money on Meier (I'd actually bet on Ehlers) but this is not a Crosby to Kunitz scenario, more of a Jari Kurri to Glen Anderson scenario.

Out of curiosity, when did the Ehlers love-in start? I'm guessing after the World Juniors?

I feel like I'm dumping on the guy, when I actually think he's a top notch propsect but the hype seems out of control. I'll take Bennet and Reinhart over him easily and feel he's on a very similar tier to Nylander. In a better draft class Meier was drafted at the EXACT same slot as Ehlers....what am I missing here?

Dobber Sports Genius

I think in many conversations, real life and fantasy value are often mixed up in the discussion. Ehlers just has that rare offensive potential that few prospects bring, and at this point it is just potential. I guess as with most purely offensive dynamos, there is going to be flaws in terms of translating a complete game at the NHL level, until they prove they can do just that. When I look at Reinhart and Bennett, I look at them as safer to reach a certain basement, but don't have the upside of Ehlers. As a fantasy GM, I'm mostly looking for the guy who can separate himself from the pack and become a star. At a real NHL draft table, I'd likely have a different strategy.

And I'm by no means suggesting that you don't understand the difference between fantasy vs real life 4h, just giving my take on it, although it does relate to comparing players at their real life draft positions.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Meier is a very good prospect but I would want Ehlers ahead of him.

If Ehlers can find chemistry with Scheifele and Wheeler, that line is going to do amazing things together.

Dobber Sports Ace

Not to take anything away from Ehlers here, but to compound the thread a bit, how big of a difference is there here? I agree `100% Ehlers here, but if Ehlers is a 1st tier prospect (say 1st liner with 70+ expected), is Meier a strong 2nd liner here (Hertl like intro where I think he could become a 25/30-25/30 type (say 50-60pts) with PIMs)? Can anyone else with more knowledge jump in on this one?

Again, I think it's a no brainer to take Ehlers, but is it closer than some are stating?

Dobber Sports Legend

Ehlers without hesitation. There's 2 prospects I would 100% rather own then Ehlers, and we all know who they are. The list pretty much ends there.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka