Poll: Points Only

Thread: Points only

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Points only

Mitch Marner vs Dylan Strome. Position is a non-factor, just looking for who will score more. Anything you can tell me to back up your pick would be greatly appreciated.
    PTKL - '18 and '19 Back to Back League Champion!
    12 team league, 20 players per team
    Count top 9 F, 4 D, 1 G
    Points only for F and D
    G Stats: W = 1, SO = 1, Saves (0.04 per save), Goals Against (-0.2 per goal), G and A also count

F: Barkov, Bergeron, Dadonov, Getzlaf, Hertl, Marchand, Olofsson, Pacioretty, Pavelski, Radulov, Stone, Wheeler, Zuccarello
    D: Krug, Letang, Petry, Rielly, Weber
    G: Fleury, Price

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Points only

Imagine Toews vs Kane. Better player, likely Strome. Better scorer, likely Marner imo.

Both will be high-end producers but Strome is likely to be the more complete, slightly worse (fantasy/points) asset. Marner's game is all about offense and creativity... and he's filthy.

I can't back that up with advanced stats or anything, but from what I've watched/seen of them, I prefer Marner's offensive upside to Strome.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Marner is the more dynamic of the two who I expect in a points only format will thrive. Strome will be a great player but will contribute in areas other than offense.

Dobber Sports Guru

I'm drafting fourth in a points league and I'll be taking the leftover of these two. I've got Marner ranked higher and fully expect him gone when I pick. Will still be excited about Strome though.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Padawan

Would prefer Marner in a points only format.

Dobber Sports Stud

My buddy's kid plays in the OHL and I asked him who is better - Strome or Marner. As he has played a number of times against both I found his response revealing. He said he would go with Strome as he is a better shooter and has size. He agreed Marner is a pretty slick stick handler but he said he was easier to knock off the puck than Strome. Based on that and the fact most leagues favour goal scorers over assist guys, I go with Strome.
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd go with Marner in points only.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I would think Marner but I've never played against either player..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Recruit

I've had the pleasure of watching both of these guys play a lot over the past couple seasons and IMO Strome's game will translate much better to the NHL due to his size and smarts. People scoffed at the footspeed of John Tavares and look how that turned out.

Will Strome be Tavares? Well that's quite lofty (translation: no), but will Marner be Patrick Kane? I also see no. I think Marner will have trouble adjusting to the next level. With that frame Patrick Kane was able to succeed with a superior skill set to that of Mitch Marner. Sure Marner is great at the OHL level but I don't think it will translate to the OHL.

This one is a toss up, and in the transition from OHL to NHL I always go with the size and smarts of a player when it comes to contributing at the next level. Dylan Strome is your pick here.

Plus Marner is a Leaf. Can he even reach Kadri production? Think of it that way.