Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yakupov next season

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Yakupov next season

What do people think of Yakupov now that McDavid is in town and Eakins is gone? Will he finally start playing like the 1st overall pick that he was 3 years ago?

Projections for G, A and PPP. Also, +/-.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Yakupov next season

I'm expecting about 25G 20A. Those would both be career highs and if he can't even make that jump I'm comfortable with finally saying he never will. No idea how the Oilers PP will be deployed but I'd expect him on PP2.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I do not believe this year will be his true break out year but i believe it is coming and fully expect Eberle to continue to regress. Just my two cents.
    20 team keeper: 20 players. no farm.
    Goals=2 pts---Assists=1 pt-----DG=3-----Wins=3.5-----SO=4

G: Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen....Bobrovsky
    D: Fox....Bouchard....Letang....Heiskanen....Perunovi ch....Zellweger....Toews....Ekholm

F: Eichel....Caufield....J Robertson....W Nylander....Kucherov
    Eklund....W Johnston....Peterka....Fiala....Bratt

2012 Third Place
    2013 Runner Up
    2014 Iron League Champion
    2015 Iron League Champion
    2016 Runner-Up
    2017 Third Place

2018 4th
    2019 18th-rebuild

2020 10th
    2021 8th
    2022 7th
    2023 Third Place

Dobber Sports Veteran

I gave up on Yakupov, I think he'll be better this year, but I don't see him ever "justifying" his draft position.

I think he'll be one of the best 10-15 players taken in his draft year, but not one of the top 5.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Legend

This is just my hunch, but I think the Oilers roll with...

Hall - RNH - Eberle
    Pouliot - McDavid - Yakupov

Playing with McDavid (who I think scores 71 points this year), I expect something like this out of Yakupov...

Yakupov: 81GP / 27G / 26A / 53Pts
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Wizard

I believe the Oilers keep Pouliot-RNH-Eberle together because they played very well together last season. That line starts as the #1 but as soon as the 2nd line of Hall-McDavid-Yakupov finds their gear, those roles are switched and they stay that way long-term. That's how I see things going.

I'm expecting big things from Yakupov this season; somewhere between 55 and 65 points.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I believe the Oilers keep Pouliot-RNH-Eberle together because they played very well together last season. That line starts as the #1 but as soon as the 2nd line of Hall-McDavid-Yakupov finds their gear, those roles are switched and they stay that way long-term. That's how I see things going.

I'm expecting big things from Yakupov this season; somewhere between 55 and 65 points.
    If this ^ scenario plays out, then Yak is definitely 55+
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Deity

I also think they consider keeping Pouliot-RNH-Ebs together but with a new head coach, anythings possible.

I am not sure Yakupov starts out on the 2nd line but it depends on how things go in training camp. I won't be surprised to see Purcell up there on that 2nd line with Hall & McDavid for a bit.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Monster

VV - your question centers around " will he start playing like a first overall pick" - this is the part of the queston I say absolutely no to. I don't see him ever playing like a first overall pick. I personally believe ( like it or not ) that - that ship has sailed for him. I think he can post 50-60 pts but thats max at anytime in the future with any line combination in Edmonton. I just don't see anything more than that from him. He has value yes - but the longer people wait and expect first overall value from him will continually be disappointed. So take that for what it's worth. If you want or expect first overall production from him you won't get that. If you are fine with him at 50-60 points than he is a player you can own with some confidence.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    VV - your question centers around " will he start playing like a first overall pick" - this is the part of the queston I say absolutely no to. I don't see him ever playing like a first overall pick. I personally believe ( like it or not ) that - that ship has sailed for him. I think he can post 50-60 pts but thats max at anytime in the future with any line combination in Edmonton. I just don't see anything more than that from him. He has value yes - but the longer people wait and expect first overall value from him will continually be disappointed. So take that for what it's worth. If you want or expect first overall production from him you won't get that. If you are fine with him at 50-60 points than he is a player you can own with some confidence.
    Yakupov is still only 21 years old, so limiting his upside to 50-60 points is way premature in my mind. He can get 60 points this year, and then he's still only 22 years old.

Yakupov will not be a 100-point player but I still feel 80 points is possible in his prime which is still years away. Yakupov has never played with a real Top-6 NHL center. Derek Roy is the best center he has played with, and that was years after Roy's prime. Now he gets to play with either McDavid or RNH. That makes a huge difference. Goal-scoring wingers need playmaking centers to be effective. Very few goal-scoring wingers can do any real damage without a good center.

Dobber Sports Monster

Premature maybe. Maybe 50-60 pts I described isn't fair. I'm just not a believer in him. My own personal opinion. One thing is certain to your point that he will certainly play with a better center this time around so let's see what he does. I hope he does put it together and but I just can't buy into that he'll ever play upto the " first overall pick" productivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Yakupov is still only 21 years old, so limiting his upside to 50-60 points is way premature in my mind. He can get 60 points this year, and then he's still only 22 years old.

Yakupov will not be a 100-point player but I still feel 80 points is possible in his prime which is still years away. Yakupov has never played with a real Top-6 NHL center. Derek Roy is the best center he has played with, and that was years after Roy's prime. Now he gets to play with either McDavid or RNH. That makes a huge difference. Goal-scoring wingers need playmaking centers to be effective. Very few goal-scoring wingers can do any real damage without a good center.

Dobber Sports Stud

Think this is one of those cases where his past failures numbers-wise don't matter as much in comparison to his change in mentality. Last season he took a lot of strides in confidence, and he played like it. Getting regular top-6 mins in the upcoming season, with the possibility of breaking 50 points (25-25), he'll be a decent pickup in the next couple years.
    [SIZE=1][I] 10 Team H2H Roto (Start 3C,3LW,3RW,5D,4Bench,2G in bold)
    C: Kopitar, Getzlaf, Haula
    LW: Vrana, Svechnikov, Bertuzzi
    RW: Brown, Kase, Rakell
    D: Burns, Giordano, Hedman, Gustafsson, Josi
    G: Vasilevskiy, Rittich
    "Bench":
    IR: Malkin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think he reaches some of his potential.

21G 27A 48P 12PPP +2

I still have tempered expectations for him but also wouldn't be surprised if he flirts with 60 pts on a line with McDavid.

Dobber Sports Stud

While I'm not sure it will fully happen this year, I do believe Yak is in line for a huge breakout more reflective of his draft position. As others have noted, getting to play with a legit C AND getting top 6 minutes and PP time is part of being able to maximize his talent.

I haven't watched the Oil as much as I'm sure some who live out West, but especially last year, I saw an extremely talented player who also worked hard and had a love of the game (this was after Eakins was gone).

This year we saw Forsberg (same draft class) breakout getting quality minutes and line mates. I expect similar numbers from Yak (and Galchenyuk) as they're given the same kind of opportunity.

Not this year, but put me a down as a believer that Yak will score 40 in his prime.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I hope Glatt Isn't reading this thread but I'll be targeting Yak this year while everyone else focuses in the top 6 from this draft class. I owned him last year and moved him for a decent return which included Calrson early last season. OGM since dropped him so I see him as a big a Boom Bust player in my 12 team keep 14. Sooner take on a chance a guy who could end up being The NHL Srome to his McDavid. And if it doesn't pan out... Meh... He was merely a draft pick for me. But if he does... Given he's currently on my wire... He'd never again come so cheap.