Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Full keeper: Hammond or Darling?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Full keeper: Hammond or Darling?

Hi everyone,

Never posted before, but I can't make my mind on this one and I think it could make a great thread: in a full keeper league where goaltenders categories are W, SO and OL, who would you draft between those two?

I'm leaning towards Hammond at the moment because of Anderson's age (vs Crawford) but I'd like to hear what the Dobber community has to say on this topic.

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Full keeper: Hammond or Darling?

Welcome to the forums!

Good first post too.

I think I would go Hammond mainly because Anderson has the tendency to spend some on the IR.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

Good first post too.

I think I would go Hammond mainly because Anderson has the tendency to spend some on the IR.
    Indeed. Thanks for the answer. I have the feeling that Darling will turn out to be a better goaltender, but Hammond seems to be in a better situation. Hence the dilemma...

Dobber Sports Sage

Darling. I think Darling is very talented and is a late bloomer due to his battles with alcohol and anxiety. Crawford misses games from time to time and Darling is going to give you comparable production.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Great One

I don't see either as clear cut number 1 goalies. So I'd take the guy in the better situation. And that is, by far, Hammond.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I don't see either as clear cut number 1 goalies. So I'd take the guy in the better situation. And that is, by far, Hammond.
    And do you see any one of them (if not both) as a clear cut number 2 goalie? I havn't seen a lot of them, but Hammond looked shaky during the playoffs while Darling saved the day against Nashville.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think Hammond will be a solid #2, and start more games than most backups with Anderson's injury history and inconsistency.

I also like Darling but not a good situation behind Crawford and if Nilsson ends up coming over at some point, he could also threaten the situation, especially if Darling hits a cold patch.

Id rather own Hammond by a fair margin, at this point.
    20 Team $$ Dynasty League (23 man roster, 27 man minor roster) w/Salary Cap at $80M on Fantrax **1 Time Champ

G, A, P, +/-, PP, SHP, Hits, Blocks, Wins, Save%, SV, GAA. *1 goalie starts

C - Couture, Kadri, Anisimov, Dvorak
    LW - Marchand, JT Miller, Grabner, Hartman, Duclair
    RW - Duchene, Oshie, Silfverberg, J.Williams
    D - Ristolainen, S.Jones, Martinez, De Haan, Del Zotto, Chychrun, Carlo
    G - Lundqvist, F.Andersen, Raanta
    Minors - Meier, Barbashev, Barber, F.Perron, Heinen, Cholowski, T.Motte, Quenneville, Beaudin, Novak, Sissons, V.Dunn, Lauzon, Hogberg

Dobber Sports Expert

Hammond is not for real, his AHL numbers were absolutely terrible and then he got the call up and stood on his head for the rest of the season. If he was that good, he would have shown it much earlier, i expect him to come back to earth and if that happens he will not even be a backup in the NHL.

Darling worked his way up, he turned from a decent AHL goalie to a good one and is now a solid NHL backup. Give me Darling here.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Hammond is smoke and mirrors - apart from this run he has been a sub-par goalie.

In two years I think Hammond is in the ECHL, and Darling is still in the NHL.

Darling for me.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Padawan

I would definitly go with Darling.
    20 team keeper: 20 players. no farm.
    Goals=2 pts---Assists=1 pt-----DG=3-----Wins=3.5-----SO=4

G: Sorokin....Bobrovsky
    D: Fox....Bouchard....Letang....Heiskanen....Perunovi ch....Zellweger....Toews....Ekholm

F: Eichel....Caufield....J Robertson....W Nylander....Kucherov
    Eklund....W Johnston....Peterka....Fiala....Bratt

2012 Third Place
    2013 Runner Up
    2014 Iron League Champion
    2015 Iron League Champion
    2016 Runner-Up
    2017 Third Place

2018 4th
    2019 18th-rebuild

2020 10th
    2021 8th
    2022 7th

Dobber Sports Superstar

Put me in the Hammond = smoke and mirrors club.

I'd take Darling as well.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Star

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not a fan of Hammond at all. I think last year was just a perfect storm for him and that he'll nit get close to those numbers again. I would take Darling over him.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The AHL thing is the overwhelming argument against Hammond and its a very common line of thinking. Confidence is a huge difference maker in being a goalie, and I feel the run Hammond on has him believing he deserves to be in the NHL. Sometimes thats all it takes for a mediocre AHL goalie to become a viable backup in the NHL. If Ottawa felt like like Hammond was more the guy that put up bad numbers in the AHL, pretty sure they wouldnt have re-signed him to a one way deal and shipped Lehner, leaving only an injury-prone Anderson and young guys who arent ready in O'Connor, Dreidger and Hogberg.

Just be careful listening to all the opinions that form their argument based on Hammond's AHL numbers, dont think that argument is very relevant at this point. And, after Hammond has a solid year this year, it will no longer hold any water. Just my opinion.
    20 Team $$ Dynasty League (23 man roster, 27 man minor roster) w/Salary Cap at $80M on Fantrax **1 Time Champ

Minors - Meier, Barbashev, Barber, F.Perron, Heinen, Cholowski, T.Motte, Quenneville, Beaudin, Novak, Sissons, V.Dunn, Lauzon, Hogberg

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by vmascarello View Post
    Just be careful listening to all the opinions that form their argument based on Hammond's AHL numbers, dont think that argument is very relevant at this point. And, after Hammond has a solid year this year, it will no longer hold any water. Just my opinion.
    The problem is that his NCAA and BCHL numbers weren't good either. He was .910 or below in average and then he comes to the NHL and suddenly is .941 and you really think he will keep that up? Well of course it could happen, but only if he is that super goalie and was just to bored to show it.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

No I dont think he'll do what he did last year obviously. But, he looked like a solid backup in the making to me. I think between .910 and .920 is realistic.

Its just when an overwhelming opinion catches on, it seems to be the only argument given for that side of things. It would be refreshing for someone to have a different reason on why he may fail besides his AHL numbers. How many times is a guy mediocre in the AHL and gets his chance in the NHL and runs with it?

Sometimes its just a matter of getting with the right goalie coach and gain some confidence. Add in the right system and group of guys that have your back, and all of the sudden you have an NHLer.

I dont see him being a #1 starter but I think he will be a solid NHL goalie.