Thread: Ask Cliffy Anything - July 2

Administrator

Default Ask Cliffy Anything - July 2

This is the usual Thursday thread for any fantasy, and non-fantasy, hockey questions floating around out there. With all the signings and the Kessel trade, there isn't a shortage of talking points. Feel free to post anything and I'll be checking in periodically through the day.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Ask Cliffy Anything - July 2

Your predictions for Andersen and Dubnyk next season. Cats are Wins and SV%.

Thanks in advance.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Your predictions for Andersen and Dubnyk next season. Cats are Wins and SV%.

Thanks in advance.
    I have concerns for Andersen next year. With Anaheim picking up Khudobin, it tells me that they're not convinced Andersen is a regular NHL starter. That's assuming 1) John Gibson is their goalie of the future, and 2) there isn't another trade coming. If I were to guess for him, with the information we have today, a league average SV% (about .914 or maybe a bit better) and 20 wins seems reasonable. That's very fluid, though, because I doubt the Ducks go into next season with three NHL goalies, meaning one should be gone soon.

Dubnyk is a bit different because there's no one to really challenge for starts. Minnesota should at least be in playoff contention again next year, so 35 wins seems doable. Also, I think his save percentage comes down, but not crashes. He should be in the .915-.919 range.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ty for this.

For league in sig, i need to trim down the roster. Little help on some player may help me choose wich to trade.
    D: Wath are your expectation for Edler, Gardiner, Schultz next.
    F: Expectation for Brassard, Little, Lethera
    Note that player value are realy down when they dont shot or take pim.

Dobber Sports Ace

H2H fantasy points league, multicat including FOW, hits, blocks, PIM, plus minus etc, weighted goal heavy

Which 3 of these players for next season?

Bozak (great for FOW, but points could take a hit, and plus minus is sketchy)
    Wilson (can he take a step forward?)
    Anisimov (playing with Kane?)
    Williams (top line in Washington?)
    Atkinson (similar to Wilson, ended the season playing with Johansen)
    Vermette (another FOW pro, if he can put up 45 points and a decent plus minus rating, like even 0, he's a solid play in this league)

Thanks!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ddtop View Post
    Ty for this.

For league in sig, i need to trim down the roster. Little help on some player may help me choose wich to trade.
    D: Wath are your expectation for Edler, Gardiner, Schultz next.
    F: Expectation for Brassard, Little, Lethera
    Note that player value are realy down when they dont shot or take pim.
    I don't know how much Gardiner will help. I do like him as a defenceman, and think he's better than some give him credit, but that's going to be a bad team next year. He and Schultz should be viewed similarly in this league next year (and not very highly). Of the three, Edler stands the best chance of being good next year. He helps in those peripheral stats, so that gives him an edge on the next two. There's no telling who brings back the greatest return in a trade, but Edler should be valued more highly for next year.

I would also view Little and Brassard similarly. Brassard set a career-high last year for points, and though I don't expect much of a drop off, I don't expect continued progression. Little would have pushed for 60 if he stayed healthy, so trading either one of those guys would be the move. They are similar players so trading one doesn't hurt much. The wildcard is Lehtera. If he can manage a full year with Tarasenko again, he could lead this trio in points next year. He could also end up their third line centre. Lehtera seems to have the widest range of probable outcomes, so I would hold him in hopes of hitting a lottery ticket, while trading one of the other two.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    H2H fantasy points league, multicat including FOW, hits, blocks, PIM, plus minus etc, weighted goal heavy

Which 3 of these players for next season?

Bozak (great for FOW, but points could take a hit, and plus minus is sketchy)
    Wilson (can he take a step forward?)
    Anisimov (playing with Kane?)
    Williams (top line in Washington?)
    Atkinson (similar to Wilson, ended the season playing with Johansen)
    Vermette (another FOW pro, if he can put up 45 points and a decent plus minus rating, like even 0, he's a solid play in this league)

Thanks!
    Process of elimination: Cut Bozak and Vermette - Bozak won't crack 40 points next year and Vermette is going to a figurative desert of goals.

I keep Anisimov (good peripherals) and Atkinson (I think he plays top line with Johansen as well).

That leaves Wilson and Williams.

I wrote today that I worry Williams won't be a fixture on the top power play unit for Washington, and even if he plays the top line at even strength, it might not be enough to really make a huge difference in production from the last two years. In that sense, I keep Wilson.

The three I keep are Anisimov, Akinson, and Wilson. Good luck.