Thread: Coyotes move to Las Vegas via NY Post deemed "untrue"

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Coyotes move to Las Vegas via NY Post deemed "untrue"

Whatever it is, apparently it's 100% false all the way around. But still fishy and for the love of God can someone, anyone please end this Saga in Arizona!

http://nypost.com/2015/06/30/arizona...der-new-owner/

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Coyotes move to Las Vegas via NY Post deemed "untrue"

Bettman should just buy the Yotes with all the money he has made as NHL commish and let his right hand man Billy run the team in Arizona..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Bettman should just buy the Yotes with all the money he has made as NHL commish and let his right hand man Billy run the team in Arizona..
    Bill Daly died on a hill during the latter stages of the lockout.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Whether it's untrue or not... I think it makes the most sense.

1. The NHL will get its $500m per expansion team for teams #31 & #32, whether or not it's Vegas or some other teams.
    2. The Vegas arena is on pace to go for 2016. They obviously have done all the leg work to get a team (ticket drive) and Vegas has been considered for a few years now. The cost of the team should be much less than $500m, and it's probably most fair for the NHL to make THIS the relocation rather than force them to pay. (Because somebody IS gonna pay for other 2 teams.)
    3. With the recent Glendale saga, it basically set up the Yotes for a "reason" to leave - and SOONER is better than LATER to capitilize on the "feeling" that it's the fault of the City of Glendale that Arizona has lost their franchise. What's the saying about "Something while the iron is hot"... that, whatever it is.

I can see it.
    It's also a very easy transition, geographically, for other teams that must travel.
    And for any families of Zona employees - it would be the shortest relocation possible.

QC & Seattle would have to fork out the $500m each for their expansion team in 2017-2018.

Anyways, I buy it... mostly because I just didn't think it made sense to force Vegas to wait another TWO more full years to get a team.
    They've been building momentum for a hockey team for a while... wait another two years and the momentum will have fizzled.

I'd put my money on this going through.
    Vegas gets the discount club price.

(ps. Timing makes sense too. Now that the big NHL events are done... Bettman can't get cornered by media interviews where he has to say the PC answer that doesn't burn him...)

Dobber Sports Stud

Gary Bettman is going to be a classic business school example of why Lawyers should not run businesses.

The issue as I see it is that the NHL owned the franchise for some time and has bias when it comes to how things are handled. They want to show potential future investors that in a worse case scenario, the NHL can manage franchises and steer them through the transition smoothly. This is where the bias comes in, because most people who look at what is happening in Arizona see a trainwreck. Yet the spin doctors at NHL offices are preaching to the choir.

Like Vegas or not, they know the entertainment business. That town thrives on a profitable business model. An NHL team there will pretty much fill every seat even if they have to comp the balance. Its a no brainer yet the brain trust in Manhattan with all their law degrees cannot accept the truth, even when it stares them in the face. I really feel for Don Maloney who has been front and center of a truly terrible situation.

These guys still have visions of NHL hockey selling out stadiums in the sun belt. How about a franchise in Houston, New Orleans, another in Atlanta too ? Get off the crack pipe Gary. Accept that you did the best you could with a crappy hand and fold your cards. Allowing the team to move is in everyone`s best interest.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Well, at least they can't be more of a burden on the NHL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    But still fishy and for the love of God can someone, anyone please end this Saga in Arizona!
    So we can begin the Las Vegas saga.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Master

I think barroway and his own investors bought the team for a quick flip for profit (accumulate 50m in losses to trigger out clause)

instead , glendale has cut to the chase and handed them an ''out'' on a silver platter so I'd be surprised if whoever owns the yotes doesnt take advantage of it NOW.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I have a feeling Bettman has some tail in the Glendale area!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    Like Vegas or not, they know the entertainment business. That town thrives on a profitable business model. An NHL team there will pretty much fill every seat even if they have to comp the balance. Its a no brainer yet the brain trust in Manhattan with all their law degrees cannot accept the truth, even when it stares them in the face. I really feel for Don Maloney who has been front and center of a truly terrible situation.
    I think a franchise in Vegas will fail as miserably as it has in Arizona. I don't know who's going to go to the games. What evidence is there of any real hockey interest in Las Vegas? (Yes I know they've done their 10,000 ticket drive, so what) Do they think tourists are going to go? For my money, if I'm in Vegas I'm not thinking about hockey.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak