Thread: Mikko Rantanen vs.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Mikko Rantanen vs.

The more i look into this Mikko Rantanen fella the more i want to acquire.. However, there are a few available in the upcoming draft that i am slightly inclined to select before him.
    Finishing 2nd last I have a lottery pick with 30% probability along with 6th overall and 12th overall...

How would you fit him in with these guys considering the stats in sig.

Marner and Strome are two obvious choices before Rantanen but these are the guys make it a tough selection for me.. whats your take?

Oliver Bjorkstrand (pure goal scorer)
    Anthony DeAngelo (the near 20 year old's OHL numbers are ridiculous)
    Ivan Provorov (Good USHL/WHL offensive product)
    Pavel Zacha (?)
    Artemy Panarin (will be hard pressed not to take this guy before all of the above)

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Mikko Rantanen vs.

Assuming it's for TEAM A in your sig - where you're still likely a few years off from legitimately contending.

In that case, I'd opt for the guy with the highest upside, since you have time to wait before he needs to fill your cats as a contender. And since you're a dynasty, any position is valuable.

Accordingly:
    1) DeAngelo
    2) Zacha - great upside, some risk, terrible supporting cast but clear path to 1C in NJ
    3) Provorov - has all the goods but might settle for PP2 if Ghost arrives at the same time
    4) Rantanen - solid skills and a strong supporting cast - just doesn't have the same upside as the other 3 imo
    5) Panarin
    6) Bjorkstrand (fwiw LOTS of guys on the boards are a big fan of him - I'm not personally sold. Think he'll be a complementary piece in CBJ at best if/when he makes it, which I think is after a few seasons in the A)

Panarin likely has the quickest route to playing, but there's just a lot of risk involved with him and I'm guessing he'll be PP2 in Chi.

DeAngelo has a longer wait time (and there's inherent risk with any prospect) but has the goods to run a PP1 down the road. And that PP would be Tampa at the moment.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Great reply thanks man. Your posts are always solid.

Zacha is intriguing I love the upside of DeAngelo and was leaning towards him or Panarin but you nailed it. I am realistically a couple years away so upside is the way to go. PP beast DeAngelo and 1C Zacha will get took if available thanks again for the reason.

Dobber Sports Wizard

In your situation, if wait time is not an issue, I would rank these players:
    1) Zacha
    2) Rantanen
    3) Provorov
    4) DeAngelo
    5) Bjorkstrand
    6) Panarin

Dobber Sports Deity

In my pre-draft rankings, I had Rantanen as the 5th best option from this draft in a multi-cat league, just ahead of Barzal and Zacha. I don't see a sig under your post with your league setup but since you didn't say points only, I can only assume it's some sort of multi-cat league.

Post-draft, I still feel he's there at five for me after the obvious four. I like him in Colorado.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

I always go F > D > G. You can always trade for the blueline help.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill