Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The forgotten ones

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: The forgotten ones

Veini Vehviläinen was not drafted for some reason - I definitely would have taken him on the 7th round. He played half a season in Mestis which is 2nd best men's league in Finland (2.57 GAA, .917 SV%). He was amazing at the U18, that's what really opened my eyes (1.65 GAA, .949 SV%).

He's only 6'1", so he's average size for current NHL goalies but at least he isn't small. As with all 18-year-old goalies, they're not relevant for another 5 years at least but that's one name worth watching.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by DMaz16 View Post
    Khokhlachev comes to mind.
    Chiarelli tried to deal KoKo like 4 times. Actually was dealt to CGY in the Iginla trade until PIT swooped in.
    20 Team $$ Dynasty League (23 man roster, 27 man minor roster) w/Salary Cap at $80M on Fantrax **1 Time Champ

G, A, P, +/-, PP, SHP, Hits, Blocks, Wins, Save%, SV, GAA. *1 goalie starts

C - Couture, Kadri, Anisimov, Dvorak
    LW - Marchand, JT Miller, Grabner, Hartman, Duclair
    RW - Duchene, Oshie, Silfverberg, J.Williams
    D - Ristolainen, S.Jones, Martinez, De Haan, Del Zotto, Chychrun, Carlo
    G - Lundqvist, F.Andersen, Raanta
    Minors - Meier, Barbashev, Barber, F.Perron, Heinen, Cholowski, T.Motte, Quenneville, Beaudin, Novak, Sissons, V.Dunn, Lauzon, Hogberg

Dobber Sports Expert

Two stand out for me...Ken Appleby (G, Oshawa Generals) and Robby Jackson (F, Chicago Steel of USHL)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Two stand out for me...Ken Appleby (G, Oshawa Generals) and Robby Jackson (F, Chicago Steel of USHL)
    Appleby was at STL Dev. Camp. Apparently Brodeur called him in the 7th round and told him if he didn't get drafted then they wanted him. We'll see if he has earned himself a contract.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Appleby was at STL Dev. Camp. Apparently Brodeur called him in the 7th round and told him if he didn't get drafted then they wanted him. We'll see if he has earned himself a contract.
    Yup. And he's got an invite to the Devils camp as well. I think he'll have better luck there as the Blues have a few guys they've been developing for a few years now.

Dobber Sports Ace

Maxim Tretiak, you think the grandson of a legend might have been worth a lazy 7th rounder... but no, apparently not.
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Expert

Nathan Noel...Kid outscored MacKinnon's numbers while at St. Mary's and put up pt/game numbers in the QMJHL, leading the Sea Dogs in scoring who were the worst team in the Q last year. No way this kid should have gone undrafted.

Banned

Nathan Noel...Kid outscored MacKinnon's numbers while at St. Mary's and put up pt/game numbers in the QMJHL, leading the Sea Dogs in scoring who were the worst team in the Q last year. No way this kid should have gone undrafted.
    He must be really bad or have zero upside then.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    He must be really bad or have zero upside then.
    Was ranked #59 on Craig Button's overall list. 24 goals, 37 assists, 61 PIMS in 66 games, 7 points in 5 playoff games while getting short changed on ice-time since St. John's ran a 4 line team (uncommon in the CHL). 5'11", 172 so he's not ideal size but not tiny either. I'm no expert but when a guy like Craig Button claims his undraftedness as "inexplicable" thinks its odd. Just a name to keep in the back of your minds maybe.

Dobber Sports Expert

Sorry made a mistake, SNB wasn't the worst team, but he still led a mediocre team in scoring.

Banned

Was ranked #59 on Craig Button's overall list. 24 goals, 37 assists, 61 PIMS in 66 games, 7 points in 5 playoff games while getting short changed on ice-time since St. John's ran a 4 line team (uncommon in the CHL). 5'11", 172 so he's not ideal size but not tiny either. I'm no expert but when a guy like Craig Button claims his undraftedness as "inexplicable" thinks its odd. Just a name to keep in the back of your minds maybe.
    yeah I remember him being talked about a couple of years go so to fall that hard is pretty telling I would say. It's not like Saint John wasn't given respect/scouted a lot either as two Sea Dogs went in the first round.

Button is probably just pissed because it makes him look bad

Dobber Sports Expert

yeah I remember him being talked about a couple of years go so to fall that hard is pretty telling I would say. It's not like Saint John wasn't given respect/scouted a lot either as two Sea Dogs went in the first round.

Haha true...such a Bob MacKenzie move

Dobber Sports Stud

7 Sea Dogs in all. Clearly he had more than enough opportunities to make an impression.

Banned

He has received in invite to Anaheim's main camp so it will be interesting to see if they give him a contract. I find it interesting when things like this happen. Maybe teams know a guy won't get picked by everyone else so they don't bother drafting him themselves, then just give him a contract after the draft.

Dobber Sports Expert

I guess one way to look at it is guys like Tyler Johnson (undrafted), Marty St. Louis (undrafted), Tanner Pearson (passed over in 2 drafts before being selected) and of course....Datsyuk (passed over twice before going in the 6th round).

I know scouting has improved drastically but just some names for thought that came to mind.