Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dobber's ways to increase NHL scoring

I...am your father.

Default Dobber's ways to increase NHL scoring

I like the game the way it is, in terms of the rules and the general configuration. I like the recent changes such as removing the two-line pass, the hybrid icing and the touch-up offsides. This keeps the game flowing much better and a couple of those rules were already in place in the past - they were just brought back.

My ideas are nothing drastic. Well, okay one thing drastic. But mostly just bringing back old rules or regulating things that should be regulated. In order of importance:

5. Call the clutching and grabbing. Again.
    I'm sorry. But it's back. No, it's not nearly as bad as it was in the late 90s/early 00s. But it's bad. Interference is creeping back in and I'd like to see this nipped at the bud before it gets to pre-2004 levels. This would free up the skill guys a little more and it would increase power plays. That alone would add about 10 goals per team per year. This isn't changing the great game by adding a new rule - it's simply using rules that are there.

4. Five minutes of 4-on-4 OT and then five minutes of 3-on-3 OT
    I hate the shootout. But I'd probably like it if each team had maybe one per season instead of this joke in which each team gets about 10 of these per season. Clutchy teams will have trouble holding back talented teams for 10 minutes - especially with fewer players on the ice. Fans would love this kind of run-and-gun hockey, and they would grow to love the shootout again when it becomes rare. This would add three to four goals per team per season, in my (roughly estimated) opinion.

3. Serve the full two minutes
    This is how it was back in the olden days and was changed when the Montreal Canadiens were scoring a hundred goals each time they got the power play. Bring that rule back and it would easily add 20 or more goals per team per campaign.

2. Reduce goalie equipment
    Let's face it. This is an ongoing battle. The goalies keep fighting it, so all we can ask for are baby steps. But keep taking them. Tweak the equipment smaller and smaller until we can get back down to the way it used to be, but with bullet-proof vests (i.e. Kevlar?).

1. Eliminate fall-to-the-ice shot-blocking
    This is my only radical one, and I know blocking shots is a skill. But I've always been against it and as a coach I would never ask a scoring-line player to fall in front of a puck. No way. Stopping a goal is not as important as keeping a 30-goal scorer healthy. But now I'm suggesting giving a player a two-minute penalty for falling to the ice in front of a shot. Blocking one while staying on your feet is fine, just don't go down in front of it. Besides cutting injuries down by - what - 10%? 20? It would also let more shots through, which by the law of averages would mean more goals and rebounds. And getting back to the 'injuries' part, how many more goals will be scored just by keeping better players in the lineups of all 30 teams?

What do you think?
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Dobber's ways to increase NHL scoring

Here's one right from Gary Bettman's brain...Expansion! Two more teams will make for a nice 16 teams per Conference. They will balance that out with teams in Las Vegas and Seattle, plus a little rejigging with maybe Florida and/or Arizona using moving vans.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Star

It's definitely an interesting debate, and some are coming up with some pretty drastic ideas. For me, the biggest culprit is Goaltender equipment.

Here is Ken Dryden

This is Ben Bishop

Rylant

Administrator

How about changing the NHL's habit of "discussing" changes for a full decade before taking action?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

I really dig #3. No question PPs add scoring and as a fan, offensive chances (both attacking and short-handed) are fantastic to watch. While I do enjoy the "skate of shame" a player has to do after taking a penalty and his team being scored on... I wonder how many guys would just stay in the box until intermission if a team laid 3-4 goals on them after taking a dangerous head-shot penalty?

Much like how they introduced staggered high-sticking to be 2 mins and 5 mins, I'd be ok with limiting the "full 2 minutes" to penalties that are deemed to be "dangerous" (head-shot, knee) or "disrespectful" (slew foot) and leave the lazy penalties (hooks, holds) as 1-goal-and-out.

As for the others - #5 is a no-brainer and I'm in complete agreement. #4 seems like a logical progression to ending the game in a "team" way. #2 is likely coming - although I think if it's enforced then I'd like to see players equipment (knee pads, elbow pads) reduced to "protective" only as well. And #1 - well I'm actually not a fan of penalizing that. I see the logic in trying to eliminate it - but I also see a) the skill in doing it properly and b) the skill in a player faking a clapper and walking around the guy who's sprawled helplessly...
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    2. Reduce goalie equipment
    Let's face it. This is an ongoing battle. The goalies keep fighting it, so all we can ask for are baby steps. But keep taking them. Tweak the equipment smaller and smaller until we can get back down to the way it used to be, but with bullet-proof vests (i.e. Kevlar?).

What do you think?
    This, when they showed the Hawks highlights getting swept by the Pens in the 1992 finals you can see a huge differential in the goalie equipment from then to now.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    It's definitely an interesting debate, and some are coming up with some pretty drastic ideas. For me, the biggest culprit is Goaltender equipment.
    Absolutely agreed. Look at that 5-hole on Dryden!! I've seen smaller apartments in New York City!

Dobber Sports Initiate

I love each and every one of these recommendations ! Especially the full 2 minutes PP. It goes hand in hand with the decrease clutch and grab .

Who cares about the goalies averages . Schneider said it best , what's the difference in being the best at a save% of .900 or .930 , you're still the best . New materials today keeps them safe , that's all that counts .

As for the shot blocking rule , absolutely ! Let's reduce the bandaid boy list ! Let's try it in the Q this fall as my son is potentially playing there :-) . Mom is a afraid he gets hurt .
    17th season keeper league with salary cap,16 teams ,max 38 players per team,UFA/RFA system,contracts.
    Cats:fwd(1pt=1pt)top 6 count -Bratt/Hischier/Kakko/Hintz/Meier/W.Johnston/Mercer/Lafrénière/Perfetti/Zibanejad//Mercer/Holtz/Panarin/Kreider/
    D(G=2,A=1.5)top 4 count- A.Fox/Heiskanen/K.Miller/Hutson
    Goalies(save%,W,SO)top 2 count-Shesterkin/Oettinger
    plus 4 other cats: top powerfwd(Trocheck)
    setupman(J.Hughes),sniper(J.Robertson)rookie(M.Bou rque/G.Perreault/Stankoven)

Playoffs Champion 2009, 2010, 2018
    Reg.season Champion 2011-12,2012-13,2016-17,2017-18,2018-19,2022-23

Dobber Sports Star

I think it's also important to look at the history of scoring when trying to come up with solutions. It wasn't long ago when the Oilers were scoring over 400 goals every year. It was exciting and fast paced. Teams would fairly regularly score 10 goals in a game. Something changed in the 80s and 90s. What are those things?

The emergence of the Butterfly stance for goalies. I think that most credit Tony Espisito with coming up with the stance, and Patrick Roy with taking it to the next level. It focuses on covering as much of the lower net as possible and blocking the shot with less emphasis on actively making a save, although that is of course still a factor. Combine the Butterfly with goalie equipment size increases and huge goaltenders themselves (are we ever going to see a Darren Pang sized NHL goalie again?) and there is no question that goalies of today have an easier time stopping the puck than they did in the 80s.

A focus on defense. The left wing lock and neutral zone trap emerge as effective ways to win hockey games. Somebody came up with the idea that Preventing a goal in hockey is easier than scoring a goal in hockey, and the fact is, they are equally important. You can prevent goals with players who aren't as talented as is required to score goals. Even though the elimination of the two line pass and the supposed crack down on clutch and grabbing has helped eliminate the neutral zone trap, the focus on defense is still incredibly prevalent in today's game.

Players are expected to be strong two way players now. Players like Kopitar, Datsyuk, Bergeron and Toews are all amazing defensively. I saw Ovechkin actually go down to block a shot this year; I am not sure I ever saw Paul Coffey lay himself down to try to block a shot, and he is somebody widely considered one of the best defensemen in NHL history. I don't think that anybody questions that the likes of Kopitar, Datsyuk, Bergeron or Toews could score more points if they let their defensive responsibilities slide, but that is considered irresponsible hockey now. How many people on this site have asked themselves how many points Drew Doughty could put up if Sutter eased up on the reigns a bit?

Rylant

The Great One

Eliminate fall to the ice shot blocking, but standing on your stakes and blocking is ok? How does that make any sense?

Just curious, is there any data to suggest that there are more injuries from "falling to the ice" shot blocking as compared to "standing on your stakes" shot blocking?

And if you are going to eliminate fall-to-the-ice shot blocking, why wouldn't you eliminate fall to the ice sliding to block a pass, or dive to the ice and swing your stick to knock the puck away from somebody ahead of you?

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    This, when they showed the Hawks highlights getting swept by the Pens in the 1992 finals you can see a huge differential in the goalie equipment from then to now.
    LOL- There are lots of frickin' examples you could use besides the '92 Finals!!

I completely agree with everything on your list Dobber. You're right in that shot blocking is tricky. I don't mind shot blocking on a 2-on-1 but I hate it on powerplays. I don't know how you make a distinction or if one is even needed. #5-#2 are an easy yes.

On a recent Marek vs Wyshy 'cast, Marek suggested angling the posts inward so that most post shots would become goals. This would be a way of expanding the goals a couple inches without increasing their size.

Great post.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt, Hayton
    RW- Batherson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Stone, Wilson, Raymond,
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Ristolainen, Cernak, Barrie
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Levi, Tarasov

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Mintyukov, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, Podskolvin, REvans, Dorofeyev, Anunumen

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Eliminate fall to the ice shot blocking, but standing on your stakes and blocking is ok? How does that make any sense?
    More or less just a question of ease of calling it. If you skate towards someone and he takes a shot and hits your shin pads, how is that your fault? It eliminates trying to decide if you're blocking the shot on purpose. Going down in front of the shot makes it pretty clear you're looking to block.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Administrator

Radical idea here, no pads on the legs for goalies just the same type of equipment the skaters wear.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

How about every goalie has to be Bryzgalov? This would actually work for Bettman because Bryzgalov is only good in Arizona.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

There is only one Bryzgalov per Universe.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg