Thread: Trade Review

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Trade Review

2nd team listed in my sig (Missouri Double Deuce). Pretty standard categories - G/A/STG/STA/FOWs/GWG/PIM/BLKS/HITS/+-/GWG

I feel like I overpaid a little, but just want some perspective...backstory is that this team is pushing the salary cap ceiling and I needed to move a little salary around.

Full move is:
    MY
    Joe Thornton
    Ryan Murray
    8th overall amateur pick
    92nd overall amateur pick
    105th overall amateur pick
    $3,023,000 (purely so this trade could go through)

HIS
    Jeff Skinner
    Patrick Maroon
    Joey LaLeggia
    4th overall amateur pick
    32nd overall amateur pick

So, I move up to 4th in the amateur draft so I get Strome/Hanifin and also have the 7th overall pick still in the bank. I move Joe Thornton, who I don't necessarily need since my C's are stacked with Bergeron, Little, Bonino, Lehtera (currently on my JV roster), Bozak. I still have faith in Skinner and he's super young on a team that can't get much worse. Maroon is relatively cheap next year and is gaining trust from BB in Anaheim. If nothing else, he is a huge boost to my hits/pims categories where I struggled last year. Perspective on the 32nd overall pick - Maatta was the 33rd in 2012.

*not listed in my sig are Pearson, Klefbom, Ouellet, Lehtera who all likely are on my varsity squad come October.

Sorry for the book...thoughts?
    Capwise Hockey
    Reading Wolfdogs
    St. John's Shamrocks

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Trade Review

I don't like the trade at all. You may be giving yourself some cap space but you are giving up a lot for not much in return. I am likely not as high on Skinner or Maroon as you. I also doubt LaLeggia ever becomes much of an NHL dman.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Well, I don't need LaLeggia to become anything spectacular in the very near future. I did need some depth in the position though.

I still see Skinner as the 50-60 point a year guy, but what he really brings is SOGs which was a category I was almost last in last year. Same for Maroon and his PIMs/HITS, they are categories I was nearly last and did fairly well in Assists and destroyed in FOWs. To me it was a sacrifice in those categories to gain others.

Plus...will anyone ever win anything with Thornton on their team?
    Capwise Hockey
    Reading Wolfdogs
    St. John's Shamrocks

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I don't like the trade at all. You may be giving yourself some cap space but you are giving up a lot for not much in return. I am likely not as high on Skinner or Maroon as you. I also doubt LaLeggia ever becomes much of an NHL dman.

I agree. You're not really getting much back. Skinner is meh and Maroon is nothing more than a dime-a-dozen depth guy.

Dobber Sports Stud

My main issue is I don't like Skinner in this format due to his contract. If getting cap room was the main incentive, I would have steered clear, personally. Hopefully he rebounds.
    Maroon I don't mind actually. Pretty decent value for the money with some upside.
    The upgrade to 4th overall is quite nice.

Dobber Sports Padawan

By moving some salary around, do you have plans to make other moves during the offseason? Like, for example, do you get to pursue free agents? By itself the trade isn't a great one, but if you're trying to get under the cap or have something bigger planned, it might simply be something that has to be done.

If you can keep an unlimited number of players for an unlimited length of time, then this trade might not be so bad. Remember that Thornton is 35 and Skinner is 23.
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by gooding74 View Post
    By moving some salary around, do you have plans to make other moves during the offseason? Like, for example, do you get to pursue free agents? By itself the trade isn't a great one, but if you're trying to get under the cap or have something bigger planned, it might simply be something that has to be done.

If you can keep an unlimited number of players for an unlimited length of time, then this trade might not be so bad. Remember that Thornton is 35 and Skinner is 23.
    Yes. This move frees up enough cap room for me to keep Gallagher and Saad (upcoming RFAs who I expect to receive some bids) and then place a bid on a goalie who is also a RFA (Holtby, Bob, Bernier).
    Capwise Hockey
    Reading Wolfdogs
    St. John's Shamrocks