Thread: JVR/NIEMI/BARRIE/DRAFT PICK Choose ONE

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default JVR/NIEMI/BARRIE/DRAFT PICK Choose ONE

I'm in a 20 team TWO Goalie keeper league. This year we upped it to 8 keepers must keep 7 format. Ive been fortunate enough to win my division and form a solid core so far in the first three years of the league (Three division titles, two regular season titles, Zero finals appearances). Forward categories are G, A, PTS, STP, HITS, PIMS, +/-. My keeper ranks as of today, in my mind:
    1. Ovechkin
    2. Giroux
    3. Voracek
    4. Tarasenko
    5. Luongo
    6. Dubinsky
    7. JVR
    8. Niemi
    ---------------
    9. Barrie
    10. Iginla

Ive been working on trying to trade for Seguin with JVR, a keepable Dman, and draft picks. I also have Darling CHI on my bench. In this scenario with all the talent coming to the league this year, I feel the 8th round draft pick option looks good as well. But who to keep is my issue. Obviously if I can deal a player or two itd be easier. I appreciate any input! Thanks!

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: JVR/NIEMI/BARRIE/DRAFT PICK Choose ONE

If Niemi and Luongo are you goalies, I would be looking to upgrade your goaltending situation. I also like Tyson Barrie right now as there is nobody in Colorado who is going to steal PP minutes from him, and he seems to be flying low under the radar despite having scored 53 points last season.

PS. Welcome to the boards, swiguy61

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Stud

Yes welcome to the boards!

Bottlenecker is bang on, it'd be great for you to be able to upgrade your goaltending and Barrie - depending on D starts and point breakdown - could be an intriguing piece to hang on to.

I'd say a lot depends on Niemi finding a new home that's decent and he remains a starter. If that happens, I think you've got your top 8 in the right order. If he winds up in a major time share or even on a Buffalo/Edmonton... I'd seriously consider keeping Barrie as my 8th.

In that scenario though, you'd be scrambling to find another goalie in a 2-start 20-team league. BUT, at least you'd have a strong asset in Barrie to potential use in a trade versus a diminished one in Niemi.

Tough call - good luck!
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by swiguy61 View Post
    I'm in a 20 team TWO Goalie keeper league. This year we upped it to 8 keepers must keep 7 format. Ive been fortunate enough to win my division and form a solid core so far in the first three years of the league (Three division titles, two regular season titles, Zero finals appearances). Forward categories are G, A, PTS, STP, HITS, PIMS, +/-. My keeper ranks as of today, in my mind:
    1. Ovechkin
    2. Giroux
    3. Voracek
    4. Tarasenko
    5. Luongo
    6. Dubinsky
    7. JVR
    8. Niemi
    ---------------
    9. Barrie
    10. Iginla

Ive been working on trying to trade for Seguin with JVR, a keepable Dman, and draft picks. I also have Darling CHI on my bench. In this scenario with all the talent coming to the league this year, I feel the 8th round draft pick option looks good as well. But who to keep is my issue. Obviously if I can deal a player or two itd be easier. I appreciate any input! Thanks!
    Welcome to the Forums, SG.

Ok, if you stand pat, my 8 keepers would be ...

(no-brainers first)

1. Ovechkin
    2. Giroux
    3. Voracek
    4. Tarasenko

(in a 20 Team, Keep 2G format, you must keep your tenders. So...)

5. Luongo
    6. Niemi

(the final 4 choices, pick 2)

Comes down to JVR, Dubinsky, Barrie and Iginla. Iggy is 482 years old and is ready for the HHOF so this is a 3 horse race with 2 winners. I'm thinking JVR is a shoo-in based on his production and upside. The final spot is a loser-leave-town match between Dubinsky and Barrie. I go against the grain a little here and keep Tyson Barrie. As Bottlenecker said, Barrie owns the PP point in Denver, not to mention I love this kid's upside.

7. JVR
    8. Barrie

Dubinsky and Iggy Wan Kenobi are the odd men out.

Of course if you could pull off the Seguin heist you've put in motion, your keepers will be solidified and upgraded.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I totally agree on the Tyson Barrie value. I got him for next to nothing in a trade and he was a BEAST every night it seemed. Plus hes young and the #1. I almost feel like hed be a better keep than JVR given the situation in toronto. The Babcock signing brought JVR back up a little bit though which makes me wonder even more about not keeping Niemi. Ive had this guy as my goalie since day one (entering 4th season) and hes carried the torch well despite naysayers. Which is why it hurts to admit hes KILLING my keeper situation. Yes having two starters is enormous in this league, but if I take him out of the equation my keepers would by far be the best offense in the league...even more so. And still young. Id just have to hawk goalies until I get lucky, however. If Niemi goes to EDM that could change things as well which would just make it harder lol. Maybe a better trade option to a team with one or no starting tendys?I could also only keep 7 and draft my 8th keeper spot, leaving the chance to re-draft a guy i let walk (JVR/Niemi/Barrie) OR a possible upgrade. For the record I LOVE across the board players such as the obvious Ovi, as well as Dubinsky. Dubey was lights out when he came back last year and hit everything that moved. I have the scoring down, its the toughness with that scoring Id like to move towards this year. Which brings me to my next offer brought to me today. An owner has put Mackinnon, Couture, Byfuglien, Vrbata on the table for a player and a pick scenario. Any thoughts? Byfuglien is that across the board type and F/D eligible.....but is he worth say JVR? He also threw Halak out there (For one of my big four).