Thread: Nesterov?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Nesterov?

What is your take on this guy in a league with the cats in my sig? Let's say for the next 5 seasons...

22 years old, 6'0", 185lbs
    Drafted in 2011, 148th overall (5th round)
    27 GP with 2 goals and 5 assists this season
    These playoffs: 10 GP with 1g and 4a

He's an interesting one.

Thanks in advance.
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Re: Nesterov?

jman,

He is an interesting one. He's stood out to me a couple times during the season and a lot in the playoffs. But with Hedman, Stralman, Garrison, Carle and (soon) DeAngelo, I just don't see him gobbling up enough points to bring the peripherals home. I would like to see a little more regular season play from him so I can have a more accurate read, but today, he doesn't strike me as a "go out and get" type of guy.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Deity

I think he's still another year away from really putting up decent numbers. As it stands right now, he's an excellent 6/7th defenseman who gets PP2 time.

They still have Carle, Hedman, Stralman, Coburn, and Garrison signed for next year. Sustr will get re-signed as well. The year after that, Coburn will be a UFA and that could be the opening Nesterov gets to move into the top 4.

I do think the kid has top 4 potential. He's still young and is being brought along at a nice pace. The offensive upside is definitely there for him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Nesterov has upside but that Tampa blue line is super crowded. Hedman, Stralman, Garrison, Carle, Sustr are show ins. Coburn is around for now at least and then there's Deangelo and Koekkoek waiting on top of guys like Blujus. It'll be a fight for minutes for a few years there and Hedman and Garrison should get the bulk of the PP time. I'd consider Nesterov a nice depth defenseman in deeper leagues with upside, but upside that probably won't have much of an opportunity to flourish for quite a while.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

It may be sooner then you think.. Garrison and Carle aren't no spring chickens anymore.. They have definitely brought it down a notch in the speed department.. He could be in the top 4 in the next two seasons..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Prodigy

i see top 4 d potential as mentioned. Cooper definitely likes some of his offensive attributes, giving him some PP time while some of the other regulars were hurt. I think he will garner some decent peripherals playing for tampa and he does seem to throw some hits on occasion as well. Right now, it's the limited ice-time that will limit him. that sub 15 minute TOI is not going to provide much opportunity to produce stats long term, it's fairly impressive considering his production thus far despite his limited role.

he's still developing his defensive game, and he does make some bad defensive decisions on occasions. he is still young so patience is required. if he gets his own zone down, i could see him flirt regularly around the 40point range with decent peripherals. but that is still a big if. i think he's a decent sleeper gamble going into next year, but you need to temper your expectations.
    15 Team Keeper - 30 Player Roster, Full Keeper (Pts=1,W=2,SO=2,OTL=1)
    Weekly LineUps (2C,2R,2L,4D,1G)

C-Backstrom,Borgstrom,Schmaltz,Domi,J. Boqvist,Steel,Stepan,Vilardi
    RW-Atkinson,Fiala,Caufield,Terry,Radulov,Kailyev
    LW-Zucker,Ehlers,Formenton,Jost,Lindblom,Buchnevich
    D-Doughty,Hedman,Faulk,Barrie,Josi,K.Miller
    G-Fleury,Price,Hart,

Dobber Sports Stud

I think Carle will be gone next season so he might be able to get consistent 3rd pairing minutes next season.

Dobber Sports Monster

I like Nesterov long term. I think TB will make a move or two on the blueline in part for extra cash to sign Stamkos. This will allow Nesterov to move up depth charts. He can play PP, he has a nice game. I see potential for additional production in future seasons.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    jman,

He is an interesting one. He's stood out to me a couple times during the season and a lot in the playoffs. But with Hedman, Stralman, Garrison, Carle and (soon) DeAngelo, I just don't see him gobbling up enough points to bring the peripherals home. I would like to see a little more regular season play from him so I can have a more accurate read, but today, he doesn't strike me as a "go out and get" type of guy.
    Agreed. Log jam on the blue line in Tampa. He's still a couple years out on fantasy relevance IMO

Dobber Sports Master

I picked him up midway through the season for depth and he satisfied my need .I'm not sure where his career is headed due to variables mentioned by others ; but he's proven capable of playing in the big leagues .

Dobber Sports Deity

I've had him in my minors for the better part of two seasons now.

It's good to be patient with young defensemen if you have the ability to stash them in your minors. Most guys tend to lose patience with young players who don't make the show right away.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Guru

Does everyone agree he's leapfrogged Barberio?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ultrawhiteness View Post
    Does everyone agree he's leapfrogged Barberio?
    I don't know if Barberio ever really got high enough to be leapfrogged in Tampa.

To answer your question though, yes I believe Nesterov is higher up the food chain in Tampa.