Thread: Bobby Orr - catch me if you can

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Bobby Orr - catch me if you can

YSince there hasn't been any NHL hockey for a couple of days, I'll ease my jones with Bobby. Debate wether or not he was the best ever, wether or not he could play in today's game but one thing is clear. He was ridiculously better than his peers that it almost seemed unfair. Maybe the biggest talent level gap between an athlete and his contemporaries in the history of sport.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Bobby Orr - catch me if you can

He could sure control a game. Fun to watch.

Dobber Sports Stud

If that was the current brand of hockey I would never watch a game.....ever.......lol music was befittingly hoakey......but the man clearly dominated his opposition wow! Cool video! I mean no disrespect btw (I wouldn't be caught dead in a leisure suit or mustache today either but 40 yrs ago they were just fine....lol)
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Legend

Orr was the single greatest player in NHL history IMO. All things considered. The guy was completely dominant at both ends, while Gretzky, Lemieux, etc. were offensive demigods.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Ninja

Thanks for posting. I never got a chance to see Orr play, but clearly his skating and hockey sense are both off the charts. I did however, see Paul Coffey skate with Edmonton and he was always blowing by guys. I'd always get mad when Coffey would skate from behind his own net, deke the entire opposing team, go behind the opposing net and come back outside the blueline! Seriously, WTF, just shoot it on net!?
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

I never saw Bobby Orr live in his heyday, but have watched many videos of him with my son (who plays defense for his team). Neither he nor I can believe how fast Orr can go. I hesitate to call him the absolute best as I did watch Gretzky in his prime, and find it hard to believe anyone could be better than #99. If someone could though, I suppose it would be Orr.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I hesitate to call him the absolute best as I did watch Gretzky in his prime, and find it hard to believe anyone could be better than #99. If someone could though, I suppose it would be Orr.
    Well just think that Orr arrived 12 years before Gretzky and was doing the kind of stuff Gretz did, but from the defense position. He was a defenseman scoring over 100 points while having a stranglehold on the Norris for his entire career. Not only that, he hit, fought, blocked shots (with his face no less) and did a large majority of it while playing with a set of severely-damaged wheels. There was no player in NHL history more "complete" than Bobby Orr. No single player could dominate in so many ways. The way I always saw it...

Gretzky was the greatest offensive player in history AND the most intelligent, most popular AND the greatest ambassador.

Lemieux was the most physically-gifted specimen. In terms of raw gifts, nobody could touch Mario, and he was blessed with a 6-5 frame to boot.

Gordie Howe was the best combination of skill, size, longevity, intimidation and productivity.

Bobby Orr was the greatest all-around player, when you consider his dominance both offensively and defensively. He also revolutionized the game, although guys like Shore, Harvey, Kelly, etc. rushed the puck before him. Orr just took it to another level.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Deity

I remember as a kid watching him play (not sure how many others on this site are old enough to say that but I am sure there are a few) but unfortunately my earliest memory was when he went to Chicago and played in a few games there before retiring.

I was just too young to remember watching him in Boston, although I am sure I watched some of the games on TV with my dad back in the day. Like most, HNIC was a saturday night ritual in our household and still is here today.

The thought of a defenseman winning a scoring title is just beyond amazement. It was a different game and a different time. It's hard to compare players from different generations because of this.

I have always stated that Gretzky was the greatest to ever play the game, even better than Mario, but that's because that's the era I grew up watching and really paying attention to. To say that they were better than Bobby Orr probably has as much truth as it does myth because of the generational changes.

What I am sure of, is that Bobby Orr was without a doubt, one of the greatest to ever play the game. The greatest??? Too hard to call.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Gretzky was the greatest offensive player in history AND the most intelligent, most popular AND the greatest ambassador.

Lemieux was the most physically-gifted specimen. In terms of raw gifts, nobody could touch Mario, and he was blessed with a 6-5 frame to boot.

Gordie Howe was the best combination of skill, size, longevity, intimidation and productivity.

Bobby Orr was the greatest all-around player, when you consider his dominance both offensively and defensively. He also revolutionized the game, although guys like Shore, Harvey, Kelly, etc. rushed the puck before him. Orr just took it to another level.
    Nice way to frame it Fung. I agree 100% with what you say here.

Dobber Sports Initiate

first off , watching that video , if you think it was all wide open hockey like that all the time , your wrong! Those "highlights" were just that , the game as a whole was some tight checking , hard fought defensive hockey backed by solid goaltending and some great offensive displays by the superstars of the 70's!

I grew up watching Bobby Orr and saw just about every game he played. When Orr was on the ice you just knew something was gonna happen and you couldn't take your eyes off that 19" black and white! Taking the puck and making that swing behind his net and picking up speed as his skates crossed over one another and he was GONE!! I mean the speed and moves were incredible to watch , but Bobby made it look easier than it was. Orr played with some good teams with a few great players (Espo) but make no mistake, he carried those teams and brought everyone on those teams to a higher level of play!!

Orr played from 66' to 76' , one year as original six and the rest as a 12 team NHL. So the competition was still good even with expansion and the goaltenders were top (Tony Esposito,Ken Dryden,Ed Giacomon to name a few).

Gretzky played from 79' (19 teams) to 99' during which the NHL added 9 more to bring the league to 28 . No doubt Gretz did some great things that wont be equaled but was the game easier during his time with more teams in the league? And did Gretzky have a better supporting cast in Edmonton? There will always be comparisons and debates.

Orr also played a more physical and reckless game than Gretz, hence his career cut short at 10 yrs. compared to 20 for Wayne. Orr took a lot of chances on defense pushing the offense but he had the speed to cover his ass or the mistakes he made.
    No doubt being from Boston and a Bruins fan I am biased but believe me if you saw what I saw you would agree , it will be 4EVER before I see another hockey player like Orr!!
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano