Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oliver Kylington

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Oliver Kylington

man i am just fascinated with Kylington.

given that i've watched him play zero times, and back in 2008 i'd seen zero of Erik Karlsson... i read these scouting blurbs and they sound like the same damn player.

http://theleafsnation.com/2015/6/1/f...iver-kylington

[Kylington] loves to rush the puck up the ice and push the pace of the game. He has ice in his veins and looks to have poise beyond his years with the puck on his stick. Skating is exceptionally smooth and he can pick up speed or change direction in a flash. Moves the puck well and can spot developing opportunities with his great anticipation. Makes excellent, strong passes both short- and long-range. We love his vision coming out of his own zone and his ability to head man the puck to his forwards up ice. Great in transition and doesn’t ever limit himself, always finding alternative plays if problems arise with his original plan. He doesn’t have an overpowering shot but can get the puck on net and is able to get the puck off his blade quickly.
    Kylington is a very skilled puck handler, who makes a lot of creative plays and controls the puck in tight spaces as well as the best forwards in this class. He stretches the ice well, and can control a power play very effectively. His offensive IQ and vision are high-end, and his total package offensively can create chances out of nowhere and control the game.
    He has his warts, however, as he isn't the best in the physical aspects of the game in terms of effort or his frame, and his shot could be better. His defense isn't perfect, but it isn't bad. If anything I'd project him to be about average defensively, while being a top-end offensive defenseman.

Dobber Sports Genius

I'm with you UW. I've got the same nagging feeling that I just can't shake. If he does drop as much as has been forecasted, I would be wary though. With regards to Karlsson, it was his WJC performance (post draft) that sold me.

Dobber Sports Guru

This is an interesting comment from a swedish watcher, and basically explains in more detail why scouts have been dorpping Kylington on their lists:

http://flamesnation.ca/2015/6/10/nhl...-series-sweden

(Scout):Kylington has had a rough year. Last year he made his debut in SHL and made some real noise after becoming the youngest scorer in SHL history. As he was only sixteen, he was given a lot of slack for his mistakes, and there were a lot. But going into this year the stakes were raised and he was suppose to build on last years performance. Unfortunately he couldn't and i think that lead to a lot of stress and pressure that he couldn't handle.

My view of Kylington is that he is a fantastic skater - brilliant, in fact - but I don't see him having a basic understanding of the game or the vision that will take him to the next level. Perhaps it's just a phase, but I don't see him becoming the defender a lot of others see. As to the drop I think some of the scouts have picked up on it. The ones that still thinks his a top prospect are the ones who've not seen him enough.

Add to that a reputation of being difficult to deal with and you have a perfect storm to drag you down the draft lists.

(Author’s note: Kylington played on three teams this year. Some attribute that to level of play, others to attitude. I am obviously a very big fan of Kylington, as you may have read here, but as Jacob said, 'those who like him have not seen him enough' and I have not watched Kylington live, which is a far superior method of scouting compared to scouting off a laptop. When watching off a screen you never see a player without the puck, his positioning and what he does. If the guys who watch him day in and day out dislike him, there must be something there you don’t see on a screen. I loved him every time I watched him, but I sure won’t sit here all stubborn and ignore someone who’s actually watched him live. I for one am certainly more wary.)
    I say again, this kid is the most interesting/mysterious guy in the draft for me this year.

Banned

Same, I am interested to see where he goes. He sounds like a better skating Rundblad. If he doesn't have the vision or the understanding of the game then he won't make it very far. There are some big red flags if he drops a ton, even out of the first, whereas a guy like Karl rose to the mid-first out of nowhere