Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Auston Matthews heading to Switzerland to play next season?

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Auston Matthews heading to Switzerland to play next season?

Looking at behindthenet's projections from development leagues to the NHL, the Swiss League is identical to the WHL and very similar to the OHL and QMJHL when it comes to how players transition. (Of course the sample size is smaller). They play fewer games (50 by the looks of things).

http://www.behindthenet.ca/projecting_to_nhl.php
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

The Great One

Just saw this thread.

Feel free to merge the one I started into here.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    You can definitely put this sort of spin on Matthews' decision, but I really think this will be a minority view. A lot of NHLers played in Switzerland during the lockout. I think it is a great country to live in and the quality of hockey is likely a bit better than you are suggesting, despite the questionable quality of the players you listed. This isn't the KHL, but it is still better quality hockey than the NCAA and the CHL.
    I would imagine that the average Swiss League team would beat the average NCAA or CHL team but that does not say anything in terms of which is the better way to prepare for the NHL. NHL players went to Switzerland during the lock out not for the quality of hockey but for the quality of life. There are 12 teams in the league and the furthest trip is under 450km. That is the main reason why NHL players were happy to play in Switzerland during the lock out. I understand the desire to play against men he could try and play in the SHL. Mathews signing to play in the National League is taking the easy way and NHL teams will definitely take note of that.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I do not see how a move like this would not affect his draft stock. GMs are going to notice a young man taking the easy way out instead of going through the grind that is junior hockey or a full year as a student athlete at a college. This would not be a good sign of his character. I have my doubts that he actually goes to Switzerland to play for next season but I will wait and see what happens just like everyone else.

It has nothing to do with his character. It means he is not a ****ing moron. Anyone who as good as him that would pass up playing against better comp, making 500K and experiencing a different culture at his age would be a ****ing moron. This is a brilliant.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Icon

If it's so brilliant, name me 3 players that played in the Swiss league in their 17 year old season who became stars in the NHL. Most good young Swiss players come to the CHL to develop their game instead of playing in the NLA.

Dobber Sports Wizard

If it's so brilliant, name me 3 players that played in the Swiss league in their 17 year old season who became stars in the NHL. Most good young Swiss players come to the CHL to develop their game instead of playing in the NLA.
    In general, most 17-year-olds are not good enough to play in the NLA. Only excellent prospects who are physically developed better than their peers are good enough to play regular minutes in that league. Also, considering how few star players Switzerland has produced, that's not really a fair question even. Most young Swiss players move to CHL because they're not good enough to play in the NLA.

Banned

this is all about money and you can't really blame him for that. Playing in the Swiss league doesn't do anything for his development really, but it doesn't hurt it either.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Damien Cox ✔@DamoSpin
    Almost 100% Auston Matthews is headed to Europe, not WHL or NCAA.. News is teams from Sweden, Finland may have joined Zurich in the bidding.
    1:21 PM - 28 May 2015
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Icon

If this was from a credible reporter I would believe it. Until there is an official announcement I will reserve judgment. On May 16th, Cox tweeted this:

Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin May 16
    Appears Auston Matthews will indeed play his draft year in Switz for Zurich next year. WHL Everett still hoping. No official decision yet.

Dobber Sports Titan

Go get paid bud! Nothing in life is guaranteed. You do have a high chance at getting drafted (like 99.9999999%), so why not go get paid? He can go to a “lesser” league, get paid, and lower his draft stock to get on a better team.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    ..and lower his draft stock to get on a better team.
    haha this might be a sneaky benefit.

"oh what's that you say, i'm ranked #1? shit shit shit!"

Dobber Sports Genius

Hmm...

@DarrenDreger: Pat Brisson, Auston Matthews advisor says no decision on Zurich yet. Still sorting through issues.

m.twitter.com/DarrenDreger
    Per twitter

Dobber Sports Icon

Does anyone think that Matthews would have a problem getting a work visa to work abroad? Normally you need to be the most qualified person for a job to get a work visa. It's going to be tough for anyone to convince a federal agency that this 17 year old kid is more qualified than the 1000s of professional hockey players already in Europe. He has no professional experience as a hockey player and has not even finished high school.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Deity

Does anyone think that Matthews would have a problem getting a work visa to work abroad? Normally you need to be the most qualified person for a job to get a work visa. It's going to be tough for anyone to convince a federal agency that this 17 year old kid is more qualified than the 1000s of professional hockey players already in Europe. He has no professional experience as a hockey player and has not even finished high school.
    Apparently, he IS having issues getting a work permit. From earlier today:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DamoSpin/...7609040896?p=v

Spoke to Auston Matthews agent Pat Brisson. No update yet on whether immigration issues cleared up to allow him to play in Switzerland.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/siritsa71...6894256128?p=v

@DamoSpin i'm afraid that it won't be possible to get a work permission. a soccer team had the same problem with a serbian player last year.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/siritsa71...8402638848?p=v

@DamoSpin they had to loan him for 1 year.. athletes have to play 1 year in a professional league to get the permission.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."