Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Next Year's Breakout Goalies

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Next Year's Breakout Goalies

Quote Originally Posted by TheBadger View Post
    My gut tells me Connor Hellebuyck will be commandeering the crease in Winnepeg next seasos... Somethin fierce
    Since the Jets and Moose both play in Winnipeg now, you are 100% right.. HaHa

Unless Pavelec or Hutchinson are traded, Helly will be starting next season in the AHL..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    who are gonna be next year's breakout goalies? i'm not as much interested in discussing which current starters will take the next step towards elite status like say, holtby did this year . i'm more interested in which goalies who aren't starters will become starters next year. it feels like just last year, the talk was about how many quality goalies there were out there, especially in the free agent market. now it seems like just about every team's goalies are set in stone for next year, except for maybe edmonton and buffalo. i'm finding a hard time pinpointing goalies who r currently not starters, but could very easily become starters, and try to trade for them while they're still cheap.
    i assume everyone's gonna say alex stalock, but i'm not convinced. maybe robyn lehner? anderson's due for his off-year, and i think the hammond thing is over. but lehner couldn't handle the job this year when he had it...
    if there are prospects who could get a starter's job, that's also good for this thread. don't wanna discuss here what prospects are gonna be great, just what prospects could be starters next year (hellebucyk, brossoit?).

I think there are a few more teams than just edmonton and Buffalo that don't have everything ironed out

St louis, Ottawa, San Jose, Vancouver

With that said, barring trades I believe Allen, Stallock, Mrazek have the best shots at winning the net
    Head to head. Keeper league. PTS ONLY. 12 team

8F: Stamkos, Giroux, Kopitar, P. Kane, Eberle, Kucherov, Tarasenko, Sharp
    Bench: Gaborik, Spezza, Boedker, Little, Maroon

4D: Letang, Shattenkirk, Hedman, Doughty

Bench: Sekera, Schultz

2G: Rask, F. Andersen

Bench: Miller, Raanta

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You could very well be right. If Crawford keeps playing the way he is right now, I have a hard time seeing Chicago let him go though.

Time will tell.
    I'm not sure about Crawford. In my mind he's overrated. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they moved him,and what better time than while he's playing great in the playoffs
    Head to head. Keeper league. PTS ONLY. 12 team

8F: Stamkos, Giroux, Kopitar, P. Kane, Eberle, Kucherov, Tarasenko, Sharp
    Bench: Gaborik, Spezza, Boedker, Little, Maroon

4D: Letang, Shattenkirk, Hedman, Doughty

Bench: Sekera, Schultz

2G: Rask, F. Andersen

Bench: Miller, Raanta

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    How about Reimer for a breakout/bounceback? I see him ending up in Calgary to replace Ramo and stealing the #1 job there.
    I firmly believe the guy just needs to get out of Toronto.
    I could see him doing well once he is out of Toronto and doesn't have to worry about Bernier breathing down his neck or the Toronto media circus. Just have a hard time buying that the Leafs will finally move him.
    Capwise Hockey
    Reading Wolfdogs
    St. John's Shamrocks

Dobber Sports Ace

Just to clear up the Calagary suggestions that have been floating around on this thread, Hiller has another year on his contract and is expected to be back next year, Ramo is a UFA and from his comments on black bag day he is planning on seeing what is available, although that is not to say he won't sign with Calgary again. The interesting piece in all of this is Ortio, who was on a two way contract this year but on a one way contract next year. It is expected that the club will go with a Hiller/Ortio 1a/1b scenario, similar to this year with Hiller & Ramo, with Gilles taking on the workload down in Stockton.
    This of course could change considerably between now and October but this appears to be the position as of this moment.
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench

Dobber Sports Giant

My gut tells me Connor Hellebuyck will be commandeering the crease in Winnepeg next seasos... Somethin fierce
    ...Or something desired personally?

As an owner, we sometimes have high expectations or unrealistic projections for ''our'' players because, well, we just hope for the best. But as Zorro pointed out, there is little-to-no chance this happens unless other bigger moves are made. Once those bigger moves are made, the chances of what you listed previously have a higher chance of happening, but there is still no certainty there.

Hellybuyck is a great young goalie, but only time will tell what his Pro career will look like. Give the kid (and the team) a chance to grow
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    ...Or something desired personally?

As an owner, we sometimes have high expectations or unrealistic projections for ''our'' players because, well, we just hope for the best. But as Zorro pointed out, there is little-to-no chance this happens unless other bigger moves are made. Once those bigger moves are made, the chances of what you listed previously have a higher chance of happening, but there is still no certainty there.

Hellybuyck is a great young goalie, but only time will tell what his Pro career will look like. Give the kid (and the team) a chance to grow
    This is not an unrealistic projection. The 6'4" 200lb 22 year old tender absolutely crushed it at all levels in high fashion. NCAA.. combined 1.58GAA .947sv% and the AHL(rookie year) 58 games. 2.58GAA .921sv% I've had these "high expectations" for him before i finally picked him up on the last day of the season. Oh and at the WC he killed it as well, i watched him play and done me research, i didn't just conjure these expectations up because i own him lol.. very calm, big frame, athletic,, in a consistant Goalie starved Winnipeg Culture and with only Hutchy and Pavelec in his way i fully disagree with you and Zoro that there is "zero to no chance",, but to each their own
    18 team Dynasty Head 2 Head - 25 man Roster - (Keep as many as you want)
    G A P PPA PPG HITS GWG SOG
    W SV% SHO

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You could very well be right. If Crawford keeps playing the way he is right now, I have a hard time seeing Chicago let him go though.

Time will tell.
    The Blackhawks can make even goalies named Ray Emery look all world.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000352013.html
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
    Just to clear up the Calagary suggestions that have been floating around on this thread, Hiller has another year on his contract and is expected to be back next year, Ramo is a UFA and from his comments on black bag day he is planning on seeing what is available, although that is not to say he won't sign with Calgary again. The interesting piece in all of this is Ortio, who was on a two way contract this year but on a one way contract next year. It is expected that the club will go with a Hiller/Ortio 1a/1b scenario, similar to this year with Hiller & Ramo, with Gilles taking on the workload down in Stockton.
    This of course could change considerably between now and October but this appears to be the position as of this moment.
    Agreed. Ramo showed he is better than a number of teams #1's. He is my choice for next year's starter breakout. I agree that Calgary goes with Hiller/Ortio, a big reason being that Ramo will be offered too much for Calgary to match with the talent they have available. Gillies will be given lot's of time to develop properly in Stockton.

My first post, looks like a good forum.

Dobber Sports Giant

This is not an unrealistic projection. The 6'4" 200lb 22 year old tender absolutely crushed it at all levels in high fashion. NCAA.. combined 1.58GAA .947sv% and the AHL(rookie year) 58 games. 2.58GAA .921sv% I've had these "high expectations" for him before i finally picked him up on the last day of the season. Oh and at the WC he killed it as well, i watched him play and done me research, i didn't just conjure these expectations up because i own him lol.. very calm, big frame, athletic,, in a consistant Goalie starved Winnipeg Culture and with only Hutchy and Pavelec in his way i fully disagree with you and Zoro that there is "zero to no chance",, but to each their own
    Like I said, I am not saying that Hellebuyck is not talented or a great potential starter in the NHL. I am just saying that there are obstacles that he must first hurdle before he can own the crease for an NHL team. He is only 22 years old and has a great pedigree, but as you know, the NHL is different from any other league in the world. Afterall, I own him in my league and would love nothing more than have him take the reins sooner than later, but realistically speaking, I can't see it happening this coming year. Can he be a backup the following season and take it from there on out; maybe, but only time will tell.

Just for kicks, here are young goalies that have excelled in the AHL and at the WC this year:

AHL:
    Matt Murray 40 1.58 0.941
    Jacob Markstrom 32 1.88 0.934
    Anton Forsberg 30 2.01 0.927
    Jeremy Smith 39 2.05 0.933

WC:
    Leo Genoni (SUI) 3 0.98
    Seb Dahm (DEN) 5 2.22
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by Skianian View Post
    Agreed. Ramo showed he is better than a number of teams #1's. He is my choice for next year's starter breakout. I agree that Calgary goes with Hiller/Ortio, a big reason being that Ramo will be offered too much for Calgary to match with the talent they have available. Gillies will be given lot's of time to develop properly in Stockton.

Welcome to the boards, Skianian.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Skianian View Post

Good forum? Nah... this forum is AWESOME! Hope your future contributions help grow this great community!

Welcome to the boards!

Minors:

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Is Fleury a lock in the Pittsburgh crease because of his contract??

Where could Ramo go??

What has this Ortio guy done lately??

I really don't think that San Jose likes Stallock, what makes anyone think he will get handed the starters gig??

Are Enroth and Neuvirth career backups??

Would Martin Jones be a starter anywhere anyway??

Why aren't teams going after Scott Darling??

Could Hutchinson get traded??

You would have to think Bernier is definitely gone from Toronto and more then likely to Edmonton.. Toronto wants to suck bad for the next 3 years and restock the cupboards with top end young talent.. Reilly and Nylander will be the only untouchables.. Thoughts??

Will anyone take a chance on Lehner because of his concussions??

What will St.Louis finally do with their goalie tandem??

Is Howard traded after how Mrazek played in the playoffs??

Dallas may be on the look out for a starter aswell.. Ruff doesn't seem to trust Lehtonen.. Thoughts??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post

You would have to think Bernier is definitely gone from Toronto and more then likely to Edmonton.. Toronto wants to suck bad for the next 3 years and restock the cupboards with top end young talent.. Reilly and Nylander will be the only untouchables.. Thoughts???
    Love this. This makes sense. Could also see San Jose go after Bernier. Bernier has this "if he didn't play in Toronto he'd be a good starting goalie" thing, going for him.
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Not because of his contract, just because he had a great season and quite good play-offs. He was the only penguin who never gave any reason to be concerned last season.