Thread: Offseason plan: Move Malkin?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Offseason plan: Move Malkin?

Team and scoring in sig. below.

I've been having thoughts of moving Malkin. He's a top 5 scorer, but his injuries are killer. He's on the wrong side of his prime but is still highly valued.

A guy is my league is a huge Pens fan. I was contemplating approaching him with an offer. Something like my Malkin for his Kucherov, Subban, and 2 high draft picks. Is that enough for me? I'm thinking no but I'm not entirely sure.

That trade also might hurt me because it gives me Shattenkirt, Buff, Carlson and Subban as keepers. I can only keep 7. Maybe it's a move I make right after the draft?

Other players I could target from him: Halak, Steen, Oshie, Nuge.

Just curious what your thoughts are.
    12 Team H2H, KEEP 7, 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G (Min. 3 goalie starts)

G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, GAA, SV%, SO

C: Backstrom, Malkin, Kesler, Nielsen
    LW: Benn, Miller, J.Staal, Danault
    RW: P.Kane, Saad, Silfverberg, Brouwer, Coyle
    D: Carlson, Phaneuf, Yandle, , Vlasic
    G: Rinne, Gibson, Howard (IR)

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Offseason plan: Move Malkin?

I like Subban, Kucherov and 2 high picks for Malkin. To give yourself a better idea, you might want to look at the value of Subban with your league settings over the past 3 years vs. Malkin. If you think that deal is not enough, you'll be surprised.
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Dobber Sports Guru

I'm in the same boat with Malkin. The deal is fine if you need defence, but it doesn't sound like you do. I would see though if you could trade him and get a forward in return from someone else to help replace the loss of Malkin.

Also, you can't make the deal after the draft, because then you lose on those two high picks.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Padawan

Your concern about keeping 4 defensemen is actually a pretty good point. I assume your keepers would have Benn, Malkin, Byfuglien, Shattenkirk, Carlson, Schneider, and one more. I think, if I were committing to having 5 of 7 keepers not be forwards, I would prefer Malkin to Kucherov. High-end forwards are simply hard to match with defensemen. You are already in a position of strength on defense, there's no need to double down at the expense of losing a guy like Malkin. Even on a bad year for him, he put up 70 points, 60 PIM, 200+ SOG and something like 28 PPP. You're not going to make that up with forwards at the draft in a keep-7.

If you are still really set on doing it, I also think you might be reaching with the '2 high draft picks' part. And I like Malkin. But Subban and Kucherov is a pretty good haul, and you could maybe get one pick in there as well, but 2 for a guy with Malkin's injury history?
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Thanks for the replies so far. Good stuff.

I was looking at some of the other teams in my league and was wondering if there was a trading partner to be had that could help upgrade my goalies. What about something like Malkin + for Lundqvist and Johansen?
    12 Team H2H, KEEP 7, 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G (Min. 3 goalie starts)

G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, GAA, SV%, SO

C: Backstrom, Malkin, Kesler, Nielsen
    LW: Benn, Miller, J.Staal, Danault
    RW: P.Kane, Saad, Silfverberg, Brouwer, Coyle
    D: Carlson, Phaneuf, Yandle, , Vlasic
    G: Rinne, Gibson, Howard (IR)

Dobber Sports Superstar

In a limited keeper, I never like the idea of diluting my talent. For this reason, I'm not a fan of any of the moves you've mentioned. Per game, Malkin is tough to beat, but I do get the injury concerns. If you are set on trading him, I would look for a 1 for 1, with maybe a couple picks coming your way. You're pretty set at defense and in goal, so I would be targeting the likes of Tavares, Giroux, Stamkos, maybe even MacDavid if you like to gamble and the picks coming to you are significant. If the owner of those guys doesn't think it's worth it to throw in some decent picks, then I would just prefer to hold Malkin.

Dobber Sports Stud

I would keep Geno

The rationale is that the Olympics, and the state of the penguins have him off his game

Then again if you have given up on him, then the subban kucherov thing is nifty if the other owner will take it
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    I would be targeting the likes of Tavares, Giroux, Stamkos, maybe even MacDavid if you like to gamble and the picks coming to you are significant. If the owner of those guys doesn't think it's worth it to throw in some decent picks, then I would just prefer to hold Malkin.
    I agree with this. Try to get a stud with your stud before going down other trade routes. Worst those owners say is no. Stamkos in particular is looking like a buy low. It might not be difficult to convince the other owner that Stammer is beginning to take a backseat to the triplets in TB.
    20 team H2H Fantrax Cap Dynasty
    2018/2018 Cap=90 mil
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, SOG, FO%, HIT, BLK, TOI/G
    W, GAA, SV%, SV, SHO
    3C/LW/RW, 6D, 2Sk, 2G

C: Backstrom, Bergeron, Eichel
    L: Benn, Rakell, Coleman, Goldobin, Weal, B. McGinn
    R: Pavelski, Radulov, Panik, B. Tanev, D. Ryan
    D: Burns, Josi, Weber, Ellis, Manson, Forbort, Stecher, Weegar
    G: Talbot, Elliott
    Farm: Harkins, Hayden, Kampf, Highmore, Dickinson, Bjork, Motte, Foegele, Rychel, Kossila, Poturalski, Graves, Bear, Nielsen, Timmins, Ozhiganov, McKeown, Gillies, Boyle, Brossoit, Ellis, Rittich

I...am your father.

Hey Harnish, quick thoughts -

Malkin is on the right side of his prime, no worries there

He'll have a healthy year soon, seems to have one every three or four years. Then you'll be happy you hung on

Subban is a stud, almost the Malkin of defensemen. So that deal isn't so bad

Lundqvist is in decline and not a good return for Malkin at all, even with RyJo added
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi