Thread: Flames Using 1st Year of Bennett's ELC

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Flames Using 1st Year of Bennett's ELC

Didn't see a thread on this yet, but thoughts?

With him playing game three that'll be ten on the year and it'll burn the first of his three ELC years.

I think everyone always overreacts when teams use a year. They make it seem like it's the end of the world. In some cases using a year early can help with contract negotiation. Especially if they haven't hit their huge breakout year yet or, it can lead to a bridge contract like the Subbans, RyJos, and Yaks of the worl.

Obviously the Flames aren't winning the cup this year but what do you guys think of the move?
    Main Squad: H2H Multicat Points
    10 Team 16 Keepers

G:3 A:2 +/-:1 PPP:0.5 PIM:0.25 Shot:0.2 Hit:0.2 Block:0.2
    W:3 SV:0.2 GA:-1 SO:3

3C 3LW 3RW 5D 2G 5 BENCH 2IR

C: Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Getzlaf, Barkov
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Landeskog, E. Kane
    RW: Kessel, Perry, Hudler, Atkinson
    D: Letang, Carlson, Yandle, Rielly, Leddy
    G: Schneider, Rask, Anderson

Prospects (5)
    Vasilevski Burakovsky Bjorkstrand Dvorak Chychrun

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Flames Using 1st Year of Bennett's ELC

I actually don't mind it. He's played quite well for them since returning and even if they do get bounced by the Ducks he is getting some great playoff experience early on in his career.

I...am your father.

I think at this time of year all the red tape goes out the window and you do everything you can to win. That being said, Bennett hasn't been great lately and if he's scratched next game could just be a reflection of that.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Just saw that they plan to play him next game, so it's burned. I guess that was the reason for the post

I'm good with it
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Star

when its for possibly meaningful games (bennett in this case), worth it. if you do it cause your team is terrible and youre hoping it works out (draisaitl/grigorenko), not so good.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Hey Dobbs, the whole team has been bad lately, but Bennett has been one of their better players still. I think it would be pretty tough to sell to him or the public that he's being benched for performance reasons and have it be believable. In this case, using the year is the right call. Guy is gonna be one of your franchise players for 15 years. Don't want to piss him off and shaft him 10 games in.

Dobber Sports Icon

The 1st year of his ELC means nothing in the grand scheme of things. If I understand the CBA correctly, this season still does not count towards a year played when it comes to when he becomes a UFA. This is why this can actually be a good thing. For example, Draisaitl now only has 2 seasons left to become a star player to get the Hall/Eberle/RNH 2nd contract.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    The 1st year of his ELC means nothing in the grand scheme of things. If I understand the CBA correctly, this season still does not count towards a year played when it comes to when he becomes a UFA. This is why this can actually be a good thing. For example, Draisaitl now only has 2 seasons left to become a star player to get the Hall/Eberle/RNH 2nd contract.
    This was exactly my thought. Both him and Bennett now have only two years to prove themselves or they get a bridge or lesser extension I don't mind the move at all. Especially since it means he gets playoff experience. I've just seen so many people lose their minds over burning one year of an ELC and I don't get it.
    Main Squad: H2H Multicat Points
    10 Team 16 Keepers

G:3 A:2 +/-:1 PPP:0.5 PIM:0.25 Shot:0.2 Hit:0.2 Block:0.2
    W:3 SV:0.2 GA:-1 SO:3

3C 3LW 3RW 5D 2G 5 BENCH 2IR

C: Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Getzlaf, Barkov
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Landeskog, E. Kane
    RW: Kessel, Perry, Hudler, Atkinson
    D: Letang, Carlson, Yandle, Rielly, Leddy
    G: Schneider, Rask, Anderson

Prospects (5)
    Vasilevski Burakovsky Bjorkstrand Dvorak Chychrun

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ztking View Post
    This was exactly my thought. Both him and Bennett now have only two years to prove themselves or they get a bridge or lesser extension I don't mind the move at all. Especially since it means he gets playoff experience. I've just seen so many people lose their minds over burning one year of an ELC and I don't get it.
    There are positives to burning an ELC early, but I can understand why people get upset when it happens.

Carolina had Staal and Ward on ELCs when they won. Anaheim had Getzlaf and Perry. Pittsburgh had Malkin and Staal (Letang and Goligoski?). Chicago had Kane, Toews, Hjalmarsson, and Niemi. LA had Doughty (Quick?). Having these elite players on entry contracts allows those teams to fill out their roster.

Bennett probably isn't on the same level as a lot of those players. But now, in 2017-18 when the Flames will be truly coming out of their rebuild he'll be making 2-6 million per year instead of 900k. Not saying I have a problem with Calgary burning the year since playoff experience is nice to have... Just that's the reason people complain about it.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Titan

I would mostly say when the young player burns a yr off his contract late in a season, the team sacrafices a full yr off his contract. Which at some point, the only difference from burning it this yr to next yr is his physical size, and when the rebuild is fully complete he’s off his ELC.

If they are comfortable with both then burn it this yr. If they think they can compete for the cup prior to 2017-18 then ya burn it.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll