Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Mayweather vs. Pacquiao

Default Re: Mayweather vs. Pacquiao

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    If that is the fight of the century, boxing is in serious trouble.
    Your avatar is more exciting than that fight, even after my 1,095,320,000 viewing.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    It's going to go the distance, no knockout, BORING.. Sorry for bing a fun sponge my friends.. I'm not padding mayweather's pockets anymore..
    Weird.. Everyone should have looked into Zorro's crystal ball..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    That was the first ever boxing match I've ever watched. Probably not a good first fight to watch lol.

Hyped up to shit though geeze.
    You never watched a fight before, wtf? You live under a rock?

Textbook fight by Mayweather, all the whiners bitching because it was "boring"...you think he gives a ****? $100 million guaranteed...more to come, he don't give a **** son

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post

Textbook fight by Mayweather, all the whiners bitching because it was "boring"...you think he gives a ****? $100 million guaranteed...more to come, he don't give a **** son
    I don't think for one second, that anybody here thought that Mayweather gives a shit about anything other than himself...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post

Was there a point to your post?

Administrator

Being boring doesn't make you a bad fighter just like being boring doesn't prevent you from winning hockey games.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Being boring doesn't make you a bad fighter just like being boring doesn't prevent you from winning hockey games.
    I don't think anyone is saying he's a bad fighter... If I had to take a wild guess, I'd surmise everyone was saying that entire event was boring as ****.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying he's a bad fighter... If I had to take a wild guess, I'd surmise everyone was saying that entire event was boring as ****.
    To say nothing of the fact that he is a total douchebag...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    To say nothing of the fact that he is a total douchebag...

Rylant
    Yeah, it's not his fault that professional boxing is on life-support (at least here in the U.S.), but being a better ambassador wouldn't hurt.

But a guy from ESPN put it perfectly on ABC's "This Week", when he pointed out that if the NFL or NBA forced you to watch their games at $100 a pop, they'd eventually become fringe sports as well.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    Yeah, it's not his fault that professional boxing is on life-support (at least here in the U.S.), but being a better ambassador wouldn't hurt.

But a guy from ESPN put it perfectly on ABC's "This Week", when he pointed out that if the NFL or NBA forced you to watch their games at $100 a pop, they'd eventually become fringe sports as well.
    There is no question that is definitely a factor. However, the UFC charges a significant amount for their Pay Per Views as well and they don't have a lot of free content, yet they are thriving. The WWE as well. Both of those organizations are run by VERY business savy people. Boxing has so many things wrong with it right now, that a lot of people, myself included, just don't care. There is far more "bad stuff" pushing me away from boxing, than "good stuff" pulling me in.

Rylant

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    There is no question that is definitely a factor. However, the UFC charges a significant amount for their Pay Per Views as well and they don't have a lot of free content, yet they are thriving. The WWE as well. Both of those organizations are run by VERY business savy people. Boxing has so many things wrong with it right now, that a lot of people, myself included, just don't care. There is far more "bad stuff" pushing me away from boxing, than "good stuff" pulling me in.

Rylant
    UFC has more on their card each PPV, they have regular PPVs each month, and they promote a pretty big group of stars. I can't honestly name a boxer other than who fought last night. And UFC would never go to $100
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    UFC has more on their card each PPV, they have regular PPVs each month, and they promote a pretty big group of stars. I can't honestly name a boxer other than who fought last night. And UFC would never go to $100
    Yep, that is exactly my point. In boxing, the fighter's promoter is in charge of matchmaking. They regularly choose soft opponents in an attempt to pad their fighter's record. This does several things that hurt boxing. It doesn't help young boxers develop. It artificially increases fighter's records. And it provides an endless string of fights that nobody cares about.

In the UFC, you will never see a fighter's record be 48-0. Joe Silva, the Vice President of Talent Relations in the UFC, is also the UFC's matchmaker. He does a great job of keeping the fighters challenged, he develops the young talent well, and most importantly, he gives us fights that the fans want to see. Good matchmaking plus "Fight of the Night" awards which encourage fighters to try to finish fights rather than win technical by running away defensively help generate excitement and interest. Boxing needs this kind of thing more than ever right now...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Superstar

Interesting final twist coming post-fight. Pacquiao was fighting with a "significant tear" in his rotator cuff and will undergo surgery that will put him out 9-12 months. To make matters worse for him Pacquiao could actually face discipline from the Nevada Boxing Commission for not disclosing his injury the day before the fight.

Finally, Mayweather has come out and said he's willing to fight Pacquiao again after his shoulder surgery. I bet we see those two fighters hook up again, and its a massive event again, and its a disappointment again.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    I bet we see those two fighters hook up again, and its a massive event again, and its a disappointment again.
    There will be diminishing returns but in their case they could do it a dozen times and it will still make them significant money.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

Maybe the rematch will just be $95 this time instead of $100...