Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Mayweather vs. Pacquiao

I...am your father.

Default Mayweather vs. Pacquiao

First question - do you like boxing?

Personally, I thought it died nearly a decade ago. Boxing? Who would watch that when there is MMA that allows boxing/wrestling/karate/etc? I was shocked to see how much money this fight will make! SHOCKED! $100 per PPV and 3 million expected to purchase!

Second question - who do ya got?

Not that it matters when two grandpas are fighting. I say "grandpas" when they're my age, but anyway...and there's already talk of a rematch. A rematch! When? When they're on their way to the old age pension office?

Third question - have you seen the smackdown HBO is laying on illegal streaming?

They're paying hundreds of dollars to squealers who go from bar to bar to check and see if they're showing the fight. The bar then gets sued for $20,000 or more. Then bar shuts down (often). They're also already suing streaming sites.

Fourth question - are you streaming it? Where?

If one streaming site gets shut down, let's have some backups up here so we can have a "fall back".
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Mayweather vs. Pacquiao

mayweather will probably win but im rooting for pacquiao. i'm not a huge boxing fan, last time i actually cared was when tyson was fighting hollyfield.

i'd be more interested if these guys were in their prime fighting but clearly they realizes they are edging towards the ends of their careers so may as well hit the jackpot while they still can.

i didn't realize bars were not allowed to show it, but i guess it doesn't matter, i've already booked tickets to watch the avengers that night. can't justify paying $100 for a fight that could last less than 5 minutes.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    i didn't realize bars were not allowed to show it, but i guess it doesn't matter, i've already booked tickets to watch the avengers that night. can't justify paying $100 for a fight that could last less than 5 minutes.
    Bars are allowed to show it. For a fee, that equates to the firecode max occupancy x $22.50. So if your bar can hold 300 people, then it costs the bar $6750.

A lot of bar owners, the ones with brains, are deciding that they can't profit from that without charging $15 to get in.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Bars are allowed to show it. For a fee, that equates to the firecode max occupancy x $22.50. So if your bar can hold 300 people, then it costs the bar $6750.

A lot of bar owners, the ones with brains, are deciding that they can't profit from that without charging $15 to get in.
    oh, that makes more sense. of course there will be cover, i've been charged cover for regular UFC nights and it's usually ~$10 but you're right it wouldnt surprise me if it hit 15-20 for this one.

I...am your father.

UFC nights are easy to stream online, but I'm getting the sense that boxing won't be. I don't have cable/dish service anyway, so it's online or nothing for me. Anyone have any stream sites?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Mayweather beats women.. I wouldn't accept money to watch this fight..

I hope that karaoke singer beats him..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    mayweather will probably win but im rooting for pacquiao. i'm not a huge boxing fan, last time i actually cared was when tyson was fighting hollyfield.

i'd be more interested if these guys were in their prime fighting but clearly they realizes they are edging towards the ends of their careers so may as well hit the jackpot while they still can.

That is where I am at with boxing too. I miss the glory days of the household name heavyweights.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm ordering at my condo, and having 20 of my closest friends join to share the $100 cost.

Usually I'd watch UFC at the bar, or stream it, but given that this is the biggest fight in history, I don't want to take any risks with bars being full, and I'm definitely not taking risks trying to catch a choppy, unreliable stream.

Everyone's going to go nuts if Pacman wins, and I really hope he pulls it off, but Mayweather will probably win by decision in his usual safe, boring fashion.

Dobber Sports Star

I'm not a boxing fan at all, I don't even like MMA that much either, but a friends is getting the PPV and making it into a big day-long party, so I'll be going just for the fun of it.

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont follow boxing or MMA much. I recognize the names but it means little to me.

To be honest, I am surprised that boxing is still this popular considering the way the MMA has pretty much taken control of the viewing public for that type of sport.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Unless me and my buddies are bored and want food and go to a bar, I wont be watching it. I’ll keep tabs on it on my cell, but won’t watch it. Too much money, too slow, don’t know enough of the sport, guys are 8 yrs behind when people wanted to see the fight. Floyd has said the fight sells itself so that’s why hes not chirping. I find that either hard to believe (Floyd is nervous about losing) or it’s a complete money grab and I hate those.

However, I do hope this is a terrible fight so the sport vanishes. It’s too corrupt and the payout to the boxers are ridiculous. Something like 100mill to the loser of this fight. That’s as much as Crosby has made in his career. TOO MUCH FOR 1 FIGHT.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    To be honest, I am surprised that boxing is still this popular considering the way the MMA has pretty much taken control of the viewing public for that type of sport.
    Me too. But the boomers will die off and boxing will die with it. Most 20-something/30-something/40-something prefer MMA (with 40-somethings having a foot in both areas)

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    However, I do hope this is a terrible fight so the sport vanishes. It’s too corrupt and the payout to the boxers are ridiculous..
    Oh I would love that. Love it! A first round KO, or second round disqualifying low blow, or the fight is dominated by one guy and then the judge decides the other guy wins, or one guy bites the other's ear off...

(wait a minute, I think I just named the last four major boxing matches of the late 90's early 00's)

Administrator

Can we just get a double KO that will be on highlight/blooper reels for the rest of time?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Superstar

I would have been a lot more interested in this fight five years ago. I won't be going out of my way (ie. paying) to watch it.

This smacks of a last-chance cash-grab to me.

RETIRED

I'm still mourning Lennox Lewis' retirement. Jeebus, I watch Ocean's 11 ad nauseam just to catch a glimpse.
    @SmittysRant