Thread: How much would you pay for Vasilevskiy?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default How much would you pay for Vasilevskiy?

How much would you pay for Vasilevskiy?
    Permanent keeper league where goalies by far earn the most fantasy points.
    31 team permanent keeper. 12F, 6D, +1 Skater, 2G, 5 Reserve, 8 Prospects (744 skaters, 62 goalies, 248 prospects)
    Goalie - 20 W, 2.5 save, -15 GA, 15 SO
    Skater - 25 point, 2 PIM, 1 Hit, 2 Block, +/- 10, TOI 0.2/min, Special team points +5, Fight 5
    Strict NHL salary cap & floor

The Great One

Default Re: How much would you pay for Vasilevskiy?

Depends how much you believe in him... What's the current asking price?

stepan + little
    31 team permanent keeper. 12F, 6D, +1 Skater, 2G, 5 Reserve, 8 Prospects (744 skaters, 62 goalies, 248 prospects)
    Skater - 25 point, 2 PIM, 1 Hit, 2 Block, +/- 10, TOI 0.2/min, Special team points +5, Fight 5

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The wait is still a couple years.

I wouldn't go after him unless the deal was just an exchange of young goalies and maybe a prospect or pick (ie. Mrazek for Vasi). Just depends on who you have more faith in.
    12 team keeper
    Points only: G-1, A-1, W-2, SO-3; weekly rosters: 7F, 5D, 2G; keep 20 of 25

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov
    D: OEL, Hamilton, Mo. Rielly, Parayko, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Theodore
    G: Price, Dubnyk, Lehner, Hellebuyck, Greiss

2014-15 Champ

Goalies are too expensive when ready for the prime time. For example, Gs are 13/15 top point getters. Price earned 33% more points than the top forward ... and they are relatively cheap (salary) compared to forwards, making them even more valuable.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

That doesn't change my thinking. Vasi is proabably the most expensive goalie prospect out there and his wait is still measured in years. What if his development stalls because he's sitting so many games (like we're seeing with Lehner)? My rule of thumb is never treat a goalie prospect as a sure thing. I hold one on my roster if he's cheap and has some upside, but otherwise I don't bother.

If you're set on trading proven assets for a goalie I would go after an established guy.

If you're contending: guys like Niemi, Luongo, Mason; maybe more expensive guys like Varly or Dubnyk.

If you're rebuilding then there're cheaper prospects that are also a year or two away: Mrazek, Lehner; maybe roll the dice with bigger question marks in Murray, Hellebuyck, Ortio/Gillies, Subban.
    12 team keeper
    Points only: G-1, A-1, W-2, SO-3; weekly rosters: 7F, 5D, 2G; keep 20 of 25

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov
    D: OEL, Hamilton, Mo. Rielly, Parayko, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Theodore
    G: Price, Dubnyk, Lehner, Hellebuyck, Greiss

2014-15 Champ

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I say get him while he's still cheap. Then stash him away and in a year or so he should blossom and he'll be worth 3 times what you paid for him. I have a number of prospects including Vasi and teams are already pestering me about him...

The Great One

I'm not sure Stepan and Little is cheap TBH but depends on the rest of your team and what you are building for - I'm in a league where goalies carry a similiar value and have just been asked for Mason and Nash for Allen but as I said really depends where your team is at

What about Matt O'Connor? How much would you pay for him? He is on the block in my league, but current cost for me right now is Mark Borowiecki. And I like Mr Boro.
    16 Team Dynasty, Roto Auction Cap League, Farm and Prospect systems.
    G, A, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, DPts, BS, Hits, FOW, Pims, Majors, Shifts, Shootout goals,
    Saves, Wins, OT wins, Save%, GAA, S/O, Shootout Saves,

C: Matthews, Couture, Nelson, Hayes
    W: Draisaitl, Duclair, Hall, Fiala, Marchessault, Voracek, Jeannot, Clutterbuck
    D: Makar, Hronek, Nurse, Cernak, Klingberg, Roy
    G: Demko, Shesterkin, Vanacek
    Prospects: Stutzle, Byfield, Lundell, Brink, Dufour, Madden, Milano, Addison, Alexeyev, Bahl, Farrance, Lundkvist, L. Thompson, Fedotov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

So if we look at this last season and prorated Little and Stepan to a full 82 games, they would have combined for 3,931 points (based on your league’s point system).

In comparing Bishop and Vali, their season numbers were almost identical (with Bishop having a better win percentage). If we were to assume that Vali would reach Bishop’s current value, he would have earned you 3,128 points.

So the two forwards would have earned you an extra 803 points this past season.

In a salary cap league, you have to use your money wisely. If you are able to invest in a player that will equate similar value as two players, then it is a smart move (because then you can use your empty roster spot to get a cheap player that will get you more than the 803 “missing” points...i.e. a player who scores at least 32 NHL points).

The hindrances though are huge: 1. Will Vali equate Bishop’s value?, 2. How long before Vali gets starting role?, 3. Are you willing to have some down years waiting?, 4. Will Stepan/Little’s value rise in the near future, making this deal lopsided in wrong direction? Also, getting to only play 2 goalies a night, what happens if Vali ends up playing the majority of his games on the nights as your other goalies (wasted points on the bench).

It’s a gamble that could go either way. I personally think Bishop will be the long-term goalie in TB making Vali’s future more cloudy. I say no to this deal.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mo View Post
    I personally think Bishop will be the long-term goalie in TB making Vali’s future more cloudy. I say no to this deal.
    That is the main question here. It does seem that Bishop has more than solidified himself as a hands down No.1 for the Lightning barring injury and any Mike Smith like shortfalls Vasy might have a 3+ year wait before he see's number one status.. Which would in my opinion be silly with the pedigree, proven success in KHL, athleticism and great attitude Vasilevsky should be a number one goalie by 2017/18
    18 team Dynasty Head 2 Head - 25 man Roster - (Keep as many as you want)
    G A P PPA PPG HITS GWG SOG
    W SV% SHO

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Tell the GM you will give him a 15 pack of Budweiser and buy him a 5 pound burrito from 'Fat Bastard's'..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

At the trade deadline I sent Anders Lee, Josh Morrissey and a late 3rd rounder for Vasilevsky and a high 2nd rounder. That was hard for me to do as I felt it was overpayment but one I could afford to do at the time. However I wouldn't do it for Little and Stepan. I like Vasilevsky but Stepan and Little are proven number 1C players for their teams, while Vasey will be behind Bishop for another 2 years minimum. (Unless he manages to outperform Bishop).

If I was in your situation I would be looking at Lehner. From the sounds of it Ottawa is resigning Hammond and with his hero status as the reason for the senators making the playoffs I think lehner is the odd man out and could be moved to a team that needs a starter. I hold Vasey in high regard but that is too high of a asking price for him at this point.
    [I]12 Team Salary Cap Keeper:
    Fowards: Points Only
    Defenseman: Points & .1 points for hits and BS
    Goalies: 2 pts for win & 3 pts for shutout.