Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: (Do I Dare?) Jack Eichel's first NHL season predictions

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default (Do I Dare?) Jack Eichel's first NHL season predictions

Spawning out of the heated McDavid projection thread (thank you Stuntman)...

With all the attention focused on McDavid, it almost seems a sin that Eichel has landed at all in a "Back Seat" role when all signs point to him being the most highly touted recent prospect not named McDavid. SO... We now that we can expect Eichel will land in Buffalo baring any unforeseen developments, how do we see Eichel's rookie season shaping up and short term projections?

I kinda see this as the next Hall vs Seguin career comparison and/or Ovechkin vs Malkin comparison. For different reasons the comparison scale teeters between each of these comparison's. However I wonder if Eichel has the ability to one day be the Seguin to McDavid's Hall?

What say you?

Next year's projections for Eichel (assuming he makes the big club)
    And 3 year projection for Jackyboy?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: (Do I Dare?) Jack Eichel's first NHL season predictions

Next year : 24 G 25 A.
    Thereafter : 26G 30 A
    3rd year : 28G 32 A

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Avangard View Post
    Next year : 24 G 25 A.
    Thereafter : 26G 30 A
    3rd year : 28G 32 A
    Interesting. For a player, some experts consider in close proximity to what universally is considered the best thing since Crosby... you see him as a 49 - 60 point player over his 1st 3 years. Some may say conservative... but if you're right, does that mean Eichel fails to deliver on his 2nd fiddle hype? Very interesting first response.

I think this projection thread may yield even more interesting results the bright lights of the Big Top McDavid Show.

( I will say I have an underlying motive here as I'm considering pursuing Eichel, however, this Thread may help me decide whether he's worth the gamble or not).
    Thanks Avangard.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Interesting. For a player, some experts consider in close proximity to what universally is considered the best thing since Crosby... you see him as a 49 - 60 point player over his 1st 3 years. Some may say conservative... but if you're right, does that mean Eichel fails to deliver on his 2nd fiddle hype? Very interesting first response.

I think this projection thread may yield even more interesting results the bright lights of the Big Top McDavid Show.

( I will say I have an underlying motive here as I'm considering pursuing Eichel, however, this Thread may help me decide whether he's worth the gamble or not).
    Thanks Avangard.
    Much appreciated. I just don't think BUF has the tools at the moment to make Eichel a driving force. Year 4 should be a big one, where he'll get his 70 points. And no, I don't think we should compare him to Crosby. Not even close from what I've seen.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Avangard View Post
    Much appreciated. I just don't think BUF has the tools at the moment to make Eichel a driving force. Year 4 should be a big one, where he'll get his 70 points. And no, I don't think we should compare him to Crosby. Not even close from what I've seen.
    sorry ... just to be clear... compare Eichel to Crosby?

If So...agreed. But could he be in the Hall/Seguin category?

Dobber Sports Icon

I have a sneaky suspicion that Eichel is going to put up more points than McDavid in year 1 and possibly for their career. The last NCAA freshman to dominate the league like Eichel was Paul Kariya. Kariya entered the league and put up 39 points in a lock out shortened 48 game schedule. That's nothing you say. Check out who else played on that team.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...002221995.html

That's right, the 2nd and 3rd leading scorers on that team were Shaun Van Allen and Stephan Lebeau. Imagine the numbers Kariya would have had if there was anyone else on the team that could score. The next season, the Ducks acquired Teemu Selanne and Kariya exploded to 102 points in 82 games. I think Eichel is a better player than Kariya was.

My prediction for Eichel's first season is 25G 35A and he will be a point per game player by year 3.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I have a sneaky suspicion that Eichel is going to put up more points than McDavid in year 1 and possibly for their career. The last NCAA freshman to dominate the league like Eichel was Paul Kariya. Kariya entered the league and put up 39 points in a lock out shortened 48 game schedule. That's nothing you say. Check out who else played on that team.

That's right, the 2nd and 3rd leading scorers on that team were Shaun Van Allen and Stephan Lebeau. Imagine the numbers Kariya would have had if there was anyone else on the team that could score. The next season, the Ducks acquired Teemu Selanne and Kariya exploded to 102 points in 82 games. I think Eichel is a better player than Kariya was.

My prediction for Eichel's first season is 25G 35A and he will be a point per game player by year 3.
    And just as expected, Ranking 2 comes in diametrically opposed to Avanguard in that here we have a vote where Eichel immediately bests McDavid and keeps it up for the first few years.

First year and 3 year peak
    40 - 60
    vs
    60 - 82+

I love it. Just need the Median poster to sound in and I'm back to where I sat just prior to starting the thread. lol.

But I think Eichel warrants some attention here on his own. If McDavid wasn't in this Draft Class, and Buffalo was awarded the #1 overall pick which they'd use on Eichel, quite likely unanimously, I find it just as interesting to project This kid's career start, especially if the Eichel supporters (I've never watched him play, truth be told) have him on such a high pedestal.

Thanks chuckcouples.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post

I've seen play Kariya a lot, and I've seen play Eichel many games as well. I'd say they have such different styles that I don't know why we should even think about comparing them. Unless we talk only about points produced in the NCAA, Eichel is a much different player. He sure doesn't have the speed Kariya had. Eichel is excellent with face-offs though which gives him an edge offensively. Don't forget the impact Matt Grzelcyk had on those numbers. This is huge. As I am concerned, he was the offensive dynamo of BU.

Dobber Sports Icon

I am not comparing Eichel to Kariya in terms of playing styles. I was simply comparing them as they both dominated the NCAA as freshmen.

Dobber Sports Wizard

60 points for Eichel in his first season. That's really good these days. 75 points by year 3. He is really good, and doesn't get the credit he deserves. I think he's a better prospect than MacKinnon.

With Sam Reinhart getting the tough minutes as the #2 center long-term, Eichel is free to wreak havoc. I don't see him getting more than 85 points unless the league changes but he could be constantly in the Top-10 in points.

I don't see Eichel being better than McDavid at any point during their careers unless McDavid gets into injury problems. So Eichel may never win the Art Ross trophy but he will always be pretty close to the top. For some weird reason, fantasy owners prefer flashes of brilliance over reliability, so Eichel might be undervalued most of his career.

Dobber Sports Monster

I have no doubt Eichel will be one of the best players in the league but I don't know how long it will take him. Buffalo are just so, so bad too. I think he'll still do well, getting at least 60 pts and maybe even 70. He's considered by some to be the 2nd best player since Crosby and he's also quite a strong kid. Could definitely see him adjusting very quickly to the NHL. However I could see him fatiguing down the stretch as he won't be used to playing so many games (NCAA play less than OHL).

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Deity

I think he stays in College for another year and then jumps to the NHL. Call it a hunch I guess.

I don't expect huge numbers for him out of the gate because Buffalo doesn't have great support for him right now. A lot depends on who he lines up with and what line. I don't think 50-55pts should be out of the question but that could be low too.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I think he stays in College for another year and then jumps to the NHL. Call it a hunch I guess.

I don't expect huge numbers for him out of the gate because Buffalo doesn't have great support for him right now. A lot depends on who he lines up with and what line. I don't think 50-55pts should be out of the question but that could be low too.
    I suppose THIS RIGHT HERE would be the median response. Zero points next year from Eichel as he chooses to stay in College for another year. lol

Dobber Sports Initiate

I really don't think Eichel will match up to McDavid. I don't believe they're as close as a lot of people are saying. NCAA players are really hard to project; and it's not like all Hobey Baker winners turn out to thrive in the NHL. I watched him in the WJC and NCAA tournament and really wasn't blown away by him. He's not gonna have a lot of help in Buffalo. I'd peg him in the 70s down the road, could flirt with a point per game if the stars align perfectly, but I don't see him hitting that mark consistently. I'll go out on a limb and say he debuts in the 30s and grows into the 50s by Year 3. Conservative I know, but I just don't see it.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    sorry ... just to be clear... compare Eichel to Crosby?

If So...agreed. But could he be in the Hall/Seguin category?
    I think he'll be in the Perry/Getzlaf category. Plays more like Getzlaf but can shoot like Perry.

Rookie year: 20 G 35 A
    2nd year: 25 G 40 A
    3rd year: 30 G 45 A
    4th year: 40 G 45 A

Then going back and forth between 70-85 points for the next few years.

But at this point it's anybody's guess!
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko