Thread: Marner vs Strome

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Marner vs Strome

Hey guys, this is my first post, and looking for advice. Thought I would start now that the NHL has released their rankings.

I'm a rebuilding team, and have what is looking like the 3rd pick overall in my keeper league. Who should I take? Marner or Strome?

Games played – 1 Point
    Goals/ Assists – 25 Points
    PIM – 3 Points
    Plus/Minus – 10/-10 Points
    Shots – 2 Points
    Powerplay Points – 5 Points
    Shorthanded Points – 10 Points
    Hat Trick – 10 Points
    Shootout Goals – 3 Points
    Hits – 1 Point
    Blocked Shots – 1 Point

Thanks,
    LPL

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Marner vs Strome

Do you have to choose before the draft?

Seems you league is far more points focused with only 1 point for hits/blocks and 25 for G/A. This helps level the playing field somewhat for Marner who I don't force being as physical a player as Strome.

My gut is leaning Marner as I feel he may out point Strome, but this all may rest in where each lands.

Can you wait to decide and watch the draft in less than 2 weeks?

Dobber Sports Deity

I agree with havanablast21 in regards to waiting until after the draft, if that's an option. It normally makes a decision a little easier when you know who's going where in the actual NHL.

My personal preference is Strome. I think he's an elite talent himself but his great season was overshadowed by the McDavid show. That's not to say that Marner isn't, but I just think Strome isn't getting the same hype because of the team he played on.

If I am sitting at #3 overall and trying to choose between these two, Strome would be my choice.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks guys, yeah, I have time to wait. See how both pan out in the playoffs, although that can be misleading in itself. Just new to posting on the site, and wanted to get more info on those two. I read about or watch one guy, and I think he's the one. Then I research the other, and flip flop. But fun to keep digging.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Marner might have slightly more offensive upside but Strome has slightly more NHL certainty, so yeah, it's really close between the two.

One big things is positions. Do you separate centers and wingers? Marner has played center but I think he will be a winger in the NHL. Good centers are usually easier to get in fantasy hockey, so that gives wingers a little more value.

At the NHL draft, I'm pretty sure Strome will go 3rd or 4th, so that means Edmonton or Toronto most likely. Marner probably goes between 4th and 6th, and I think Carolina is the most likely destination for him; they need more offense. Maybe that helps your decision, maybe not. But it's something worth thinking about. Of course, if anyone besides Buffalo or Arizona wins the draft lottery, all of that changes.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Come on down to London for a week and you can watch them play against each other! Lol

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Do you have to choose before the draft?
    Can you wait to decide and watch the draft in less than 2 weeks?
    Isn't the draft in June?

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    Isn't the draft in June?
    Ya but the lottery is coming up soon. After that we'll have a better idea of where these guys will end up although things can still go weird at the actual draft.

I prefer Strome, although Marner might have a higher upside. Strome's skating is a little wonky, although the same could be said about his brother and he's looked good so far.

And btw, holy plus/minus batman. 10 points for that is gonna be a difference maker for sure. With both of these guys going to bad teams it won't really matter, but it could eventually.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar