Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Better Call Saul (the official thread)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Better Call Saul (the official thread)

Is it just me or does this show age like a fine wine?

At first I was a little bored with it... I probably wouldn't have hung in there if it wasn't for its ties to Breaking Bad. But over the past 5-6 episodes it has really begun to shine.

The character development is top notch. The characters are so flawed yet believable. I don't know how anyone can possibly watch this show and not be rooting for Jimmy. With all the shit he's been through... the guy just can't catch a break despite constantly trying to do the right thing, and just when it looks like things are finally about to go his way [SPOILER ALERT] he gets stabbed in the back by his own brother - who he's sacrificed for and nursed back to sanity. Now that's writing!

I love this show.

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Better Call Saul (the official thread)

as you say , pretty slow pace but I'm enjoying it as well .

not only is it a look into saul's past but also mike

Dobber Sports Titan

Like Breaking Bad we were given some loose ends tied up last night, but were given big cliff hangers. All season they made Saul teeter between Saul, Jimmy, and James; and they finally pushed him over the edge. I can’t say I’m 100% liking this series, but next season with Saul finally coming to light it should be more exciting and less deep thinking stuff.

I wish they tossed up more cameos and Easter eggs relating to Breaking Bad tho. Like a nod to Gus in the way of James getting food there and talking to Gus and making a comment on how Gus freaks him out. Or how he jokingly tells the person he’s eating with “he deals drugs” because it’s so preposterous.

AMC knows how to make shows tho
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Padawan

It has really exceeded my expectations. Wasn't sure about a prequel where we already know the end result for the main character (unless they do some more time jumping like in EP1). The story telling and character building in this show has been fantastic.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i'm on episode 7. it's really slow but i figure i'll finish off the season just because i've watched breaking bad. not thoroughly impressed by it but i do enjoy the scenes where they bring back old characters, especially the ending of the first episode.

Dobber Sports Sage

I've enjoyed it as well.

The last couple of episodes have been really, really slow but the potential is there. Hoping for something special over the next couple of episodes.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Banned

Better call zzzzzzzzzzzzzz is more like it

Dobber Sports Padawan

Think its important to remember that season 1 was based 6 years prior to the events of BB. I'm sure eventually they will reintroduce more old characters but it doesn't work very well with the timeline to have a bunch of BB characters making cameos. Was Gus even in Albuquerque 6 years before BB or in Chile still? I am really hoping they get a chance to look deeper at Gus.

As far as nods to BB go there was a couple in the finale. Jimmy makes a reference to Belize while at the bingo hall and it turns out he actually did convince a woman that he was Kevin Costner lol.

Dobber Sports Master

So...bottom line...is the show worth watching or not? I am getting mixed messages.

On one hand the character development is great, the plot subtly unfolds and there are the usual BB twists we have come to expect. On the other hand it is very slow moving and there aren't enough cameos or Easter eggs.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    So...bottom line...is the show worth watching or not? I am getting mixed messages.

On one hand the character development is great, the plot subtly unfolds and there are the usual BB twists we have come to expect. On the other hand it is very slow moving and there aren't enough cameos or Easter eggs.
    I really liked it. It is a bit slow but its funny. If you like Mike from BB, then you get a whole lot more than an Easter Egg with him - a lot of background on him and he features pretty prominently in the storyline, especially the second half of the season.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post

Personally I think its great and recommend it. But if the only reason you would be interested in watching is to see Walt or Jesse make a cameo then the show might not be for you.

Dobber Sports Master

While I would like to see Walt or Jesse, I would prefer that the show be entertaining in its own right. I wouldn't expect it to be as dark as BB, but I want to be able to say I enjoy watching it because ... X reason. If it is great acting or fantastic dialogue, then so be it. But if that is overshadowed by a strained storyline that goes nowhere fast, then it doesn't matter how well acted it is.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Percy21 View Post
    Personally I think its great and recommend it. But if the only reason you would be interested in watching is to see Walt or Jesse make a cameo then the show might not be for you.
    I was actually expecting to be disappointed with it, but its been a very pleasant surprise. Give it 3-4 episodes, it gets really interesting. The characters and acting in this are strong enough to carry it without those two.

Spoilers coming...

*SPOILER*

The scene in the parkade where Mike punches the other guy in the throat (or hit him with the butt-end of a gun) was fantastic - just classic Mike, calmly destroys some hotshot while making you laugh your ass off. One of the top moments of the season.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I was actually expecting to be disappointed with it, but its been a very pleasant surprise. Give it 3-4 episodes, it gets really interesting. The characters and acting in this are strong enough to carry it without those two.

Spoilers coming...

*SPOILER*

The scene in the parkade where Mike punches the other guy in the throat (or hit him with the butt-end of a gun) was fantastic - just classic Mike, calmly destroys some hotshot while making you laugh your ass off. One of the top moments of the season.
    The guy he hit in the throat is the actor who played Trevor Phillips in GTA 5 lol

Dobber Sports Titan

I don’t remember the Kevin Costner thing from breaking bad. I’m going to assume it was a Saul quote saying “I’m so good I once convinced a girl I was Kevin Costner”. That would have made me laughed if I remembered that.

I think this show would be better if watched one after another, because it is a bit slower and detail oriented so at least one after another would keep you engaged. Breaking Bad was great at end of episode cliff hangers because they could just have you at the end of your seat with a drug issue (which common people love). It’s kinda hard to keep an audience guessing and hooked with law issues as an episode end week-to-week.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll