Thread: Rate My Team

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Rate My Team

So, baseball is definitely the weakest of my 4 pro sports knowledge, but I gave a draft a shot last night. H2H league with straight scoring points every week. I'm sure the scoring is pretty standard. 12 team league (I picked 12th). Thanks all! Roster...

C - Salvador Perez
    1B - Jose Abreu
    2B - Robinson Cano
    3B - David Wright
    SS - Jose Reyes
    LF - Bryce Harper
    CF - Mookie Betts
    RF - Jay Bruce
    Bench - JD Martinez, Pedro Alvarez, Danny Santana

SP - Sonny Gray, Andrew Cashner, Francisco Liriano, Jose Fernandez (DL)
    RP - Greg Holland, Mark Melancon, Hector Rondon, Neftali Feliz

With my limited baseball expertise, I'd say starting pitching is probably the weak spot. I have number one spot on waivers. Pineda, Verlander, Odorizzi, Kazmir, Porcello, Aaron Sanchez, Cain, Tillman, Dickey available, among others.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Rate My Team

Not a bad team. Nice job getting Abreu with the 12th pick. Could definitely compete.

Drop Pedro Alvarez for Pineda. Although I'd wait until he clears waivers, rather than wasting your #1 priority on him. Your SP is very weak, and I'm just not a fan of Pedro. I'd also consider dropping Danny Santana. A lot of signs point to a major regression (minors numbers suggest a sub .300 average, insanely high unsustainable BABIP last year also suggests an AVG drop). With either of these guys, I'd be looking to add an SP with high upside (i.e. Pineda) or a RP with GOOD RATIOS, regardless of whether they get SVs. SVs will be nice, but ratios are the main thing here since you've already got solid closers. The thing to keep in mind here is that you don't need 3 bench bats. I'll start a league with extra bats if they drop to me in the draft, but I try to move them for pitchers once the season is underway. Most days, you'll be leaving 3 starters on the bench.

I would also try shopping Cano for a bona fide power hitter with a decent average, or for a true ace, assuming you are in a league where Mookie has 2B eligibility. I'm guessing you drafted him with your 1st or 2nd pick, so 12th or 13th overall. That was a good move, but with Mookie as well, I'd cash in on Cano, whose value comes mainly from his 2B eligibility. Mookie is less risky than other rookies given his amazing track record. He also looked great in his short appearance last year. See if you can move Cano for someone around the same draft slot... possibly Edwin Encarnacion, Joey Bats, Felix Hernandez, Kershaw (maybe his owner will panic after his first start?). Maybe you could package up David Wright and Cano to the owner of Josh Donaldson, try to get Donaldson and a SP back. I'm not suggesting selling him cheap, but you would be better off filling your needs than having 2x2B on your team.

Hope that helps.