Thread: Allen vs Varlamov next year

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Allen vs Varlamov next year

In our league we are only allowed to keep two goalies and must drop the third on draft day. I'm keeping lundqvist for sure, and was planning to keep Allen unless Lack gets traded somewhere like San Jose. Anyway, I was just offered Varlamov and Stafford and a small draft upgrade for Lack and O'Reilly. Having Varlamov instead of Lack hurts me for the nhl playoffs, though having stafford instead of O'Reilly helps a bit. O'Reilly wouldn't have been a keeper anyway unless he gets traded somewhere like toronto. Anyway... I'm not so much needing help deciding on the trade, but if I DO accept, I will soon have to choose between Allen and Varlamov on draft day. Who do you like out of those two? League counts wins and shutouts only.
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Allen vs Varlamov next year

I would lean towards Varlamov today, but it's not so clear cut going forward.

Varlamov is still young, he's talented, and the Avs will continue to get better in the years to come.

Allen has upside, but he hasn't played that well this year; or at least consistently well. Elliot is still a good goalie and he still has the more expensive contract. All that said, Allen will continue to get his chances next year. If he lights it up then he could steal the job.

I would wait until the season is over to make this deal. That way you can see how Elliot does in the playoffs. If he carries them far, then his leash gets longer next year. If he falters and Allen has to step in and save the day, well then yay Allen. Either way, St. Louis is developing into a 1A, 1B situation for 2015-16. The earliest that Allen can be The Starter for St. Louis is 2016-17.

If it's not possible to wait, take Varlamov and eliminate the risk. There's no one to steal his job; and anyway, if Allen becomes the starter they'll both be pushing 35-40 wins, except Varlamov could do it as soon as next year.

I think I talked myself out of Allen through typing this. I guess I'm risk averse. It's not like Varlamov is chopped liver though!
    12 team keeper
    Points only: G-1, A-1, W-2, SO-3; weekly rosters: 7F, 5D, 2G; keep 20 of 25

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov
    D: OEL, Hamilton, Mo. Rielly, Parayko, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Theodore
    G: Price, Dubnyk, Lehner, Hellebuyck, Greiss

2014-15 Champ

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Allen vs Varlamov next year

Varlamov
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.