Thread: Random thoughts about the KHL

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Random thoughts about the KHL

I don't follow the KHL too closely but I've been watching the KHL Conference Finals and I figured I'd share a few thoughts from there.

Mikko Koskinen is an excellent goalie. He turns 27 in June and his KHL contract ends after this season. Could he give the NHL another chance? That would require Karri Ramo type of contract because he is going to get a lot of money from the KHL. Do the Islanders still hold his rights or is he UFA? I'm not sure how it goes with players like him. 6'7" and two great seasons in the KHL, there should be plenty of interest.

Anders Nilsson is also very, very good. Nilsson just turned 25 and he's also pretty big at 6'5". His KHL contract also ends after this season. His NHL rights were traded to Chicago in the Nick Leddy trade but I'm not sure if there's room for him in Chicago. He's not going back to the AHL, that's for sure. He wants a one-way contract or he stays in Russia. Could the Blackhaws trade both Raanta and Darling in the summer to make room?

For those of you in PIM leagues, think about what you're missing with Alexander Radulov not playing in the NHL. This season, he had 71 points and 143 PIM in 46 games. That would be 127 points and 255 PIM over 82 games. Of course he wouldn't be allowed to play that style in the NHL but those numbers are just crazy. Such a fun player to watch, an offensive threat all the time. But the lack of discipline wouldn't be tolerated in the NHL.

Ilya Kovalchuk has been very noticeable but not for his offense. He has been hitting a lot, which he never did in the NHL. The funny thing is, no one is really hitting him back because he is the #1 star in the league and other players would probably be exiled for injuring him. He's also not getting penalties for the late hits he delivers. I don't think it's worth holding onto him in the hopes of him returning to the NHL, I don't think he really has it anymore. He would get 60 points at best in the NHL. And I don't see him leaving Russia anymore.

Artemi Panarin has been looking good. Such a threat offensively. We shall see if someone is willing to offer him a real chance in the NHL, or if SKA offers him a ridiculous amount of money to stay in Russia. He needs to play his off-wing in the Top-6. During regular season, Panarin had more points than Kovalchuk, and they play on the same team (on different lines, though). They're tied for points in the playoffs. I think Panarin is a better player than some who occupy a Top-6 spot on NHL teams. Put him on a line with Tavares and Okposo, and he can be a star. I'm not sure if he can survive on a rebuilding team, though, and not many contenders are willing to give a player like him a real chance (15+ minutes, including PP time, for at least 10 games). But to me, he looked more dangerous offensively than Kovalchuk. Kovy has that great shot but that's pretty much all he has anymore.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Random thoughts about the KHL

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing. I always love reading first hand content on players I only get to read about. +1
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Random thoughts about the KHL

Thanks for the post! A few things though.

I see where you got Radulovs prorated NHL stats from but you did forget the 0.78 conversion factor (I got it somewhere from this site, not my number) so that would put him just below 100 over 82. Still very good.

Oh, Kovalsuck. I'm not surprised he is taking liberties because of his untouchable status, he's always been a b***h in my eyes.

Mostly appreciate the tips on the other players. The Hawks should be shaking it up over the summer and goaltending could be part of that so Nilsson information is valued. Will keep Panarin on my watchlist.