Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not enough love for Willie

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Not enough love for Willie

with the season coming to a close people are discussing biggest surprises of the season -- and I'm surprised people aren't talking more about the Vancouver Canucks.

With their season last year, their coaching problems, the offseason, did anyone see this season coming? I'm surprised Willie Desjardins is not getting some consideration for coach of the year
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Fall River's Finest
    C(3): Malkin, Kesler, Hanzal
    LW(3): Lucic, Perron, Chimera
    RW(3): Eberle, R. Smith, Doan
    F(3): Stafford (RW), Parenteau (RW), Eakin (C)
    D(6): S. Weber, Suter, Giordano, Yandle, Chara, Polak
    G(1): Miller [+ Niemi, Zatkoff]
    Bench: Filppula (C), Ferland (LW), Stalberg (LW), Weise (RW)

Prospects(10): Roy (C), Tambellini (C), Andreoff (LW), Jensen (LW), Sorensen (RW), Morin (RW), DeMelo (D), Berube (G), Campbell (G)

The Great One

Default Re: Not enough love for Willie

I think what the success of this season shows is truly how awful last season was under Torts. No question Willie has done well and was a shrewd hire. But the season looks even better than it should due to the trainwreck that was 2013-14. Plus, many players probably (sub)consciously played worse last season since they were so miserable, and/or better this season because it was like being paroled. The real test will be 2015-16.

Dobber Sports Guru

I think he's worth being in the conversation, but there are guys I'd pick first (and I'm a Nucks fan!).

As RizzeeDizzee said, last year was the bigger surprise. This year is what should've been. If anything, Torts should've won an award for "Worst Coach of the Year"

Babcock deserves the award most years, but he's really deserving again this year -- the way they keep rolling out contenders is amazing. Surprised their AHL guy Blashill isn't making the jump more quickly too.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Administrator

The problem is that people from 10-15 teams are saying "my team's coach should be in consideration for the award" and most of it gets lost in the shuffle. It's been that kind of year. Too many candidates that with enough spin become viable nominees.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Babcock deserves the award most years, but he's really deserving again this year -- the way they keep rolling out contenders is amazing. Surprised their AHL guy Blashill isn't making the jump more quickly too.
    I think I read something last year that the Wings won't let anyone speak to Blashill until they know if they can sign Babcock.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I think I read something last year that the Wings won't let anyone speak to Blashill until they know if they can sign Babcock.
    Is Blashill the guy that sounds exactly like Babcock?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I think what the success of this season shows is truly how awful last season was under Torts. No question Willie has done well and was a shrewd hire. But the season looks even better than it should due to the trainwreck that was 2013-14. Plus, many players probably (sub)consciously played worse last season since they were so miserable, and/or better this season because it was like being paroled. The real test will be 2015-16.
    Totally agree with this post. Desjardin inherited a team that still had a solid core but really needed some direction. Other coaches have done more with less in my opinion. This isn't saying Desjardin didn't do a good job with the Canucks, I just think other coaches had bigger hurdles to jump.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

This thread title would be interpreted very differently if it had been posted in the lounge...

I wouldn't put Desjardins in coach of the year territory, as noted other coaches have done more with less (to some degree Laviolette gets hurt by similar things, a chunk of the Preds badness last year was due to adverse conditions).

Calgary gets my vote... on paper at the start of the season the only meaningful games they were going to be playing in March were related to McDavid, not the playoffs.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Titan

He’s done well with a solid group, others have done great with minimal talent. Paul Maurice with no No1 center (to what a lot thought at the beginning of the season) or No1 goalie has done wonders. Everyone knows what Hartley has done. Trotz made Ovi his old self again. WD has done well, but doing well doesn’t win you awards. If he had lost both Sedin’s for a long time with injury then yes he’d have more cache.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Vancouver's perceived success is a combination of last year's disaster, a complete re-vamp of management and coaching, and a few key acquisitions in Vrbata and Miller to a lesser extent. Willie is Vigneault-light and the team played very well under his style.

Dobber Sports Stud

Yea the team is basically the same minus Kesler, and although he is a solid player he wasn't adding much to the Canucks roster anymore.
    [SIZE=1][I] 10 Team H2H Roto (Start 3C,3LW,3RW,5D,4Bench,2G in bold)
    C: Kopitar, Getzlaf, Haula
    LW: Vrana, Svechnikov, Bertuzzi
    RW: Brown, Kase, Rakell
    D: Burns, Giordano, Hedman, Gustafsson, Josi
    G: Vasilevskiy, Rittich
    "Bench":
    IR: Malkin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Interesting discussion here… In particular the discussion around injuries… I remember no one batted an eye when the Canucks lost their D-men. People seem to forget that Hamhuis (arguably their #1 d-man) went down for 1/3 of the year. They also lost Bieksa for a significant amount of time. And, at one point, I think they were missing 3 or 4 of their top 6 d-men. Somehow, they kept winning at a decent rate- which is probably why it wasn't noticed/talked about in the media.

In my opinion, Willie Desjardin has done quite a lot with what he had (or didn't have!) this year. For most teams, losing your top 4 D would be a death blow. (Unless you're the Jets- I seem to remember them having to deal with a similar problem at the beginning of the year). Kudos to Paul Maurice as well.
    10 team "Keeper-ish" League
    Keep players for 2 yrs. (yrs left in brackets)
    If we trade, we keep new players for this season +2 add. yrs after this season ends. Any 2+ = obtained thru trade this season.

C- Crosby (2+), Malkin (2+, RW) Steen (2+, LW), RNH (2)
    LW- Staal (2, C) Tatar (2) Vanek (2+, RW), Kunitz (2+)
    RW- Voracek (2) Vrbata (2+) Kesler (2+, C)
    D- Phaneuf (2) Subban (2+) Yandle (2+), Vatanen (2), Klingberg (2)

G- Rask (1), Rinne (2), Gibson (2)

Kunitz & Staal (had to drop), Brodie & MacKinnon (had to drop- crappy!)

H-2-H League
    3 Cs 3LWs 3RWs 4D 2G
    5 Bench
    G A +/- PPP SHG GWG SOG PIM HITS W Saves SV% GAA SO

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Paul Maurice has found success with his top center(Little) out, top free agent signing(Perreault) out, and his top 4 d-men all out at one time(Trouba, Enstrom, Bogosian, and Stuart).. And arguably no starting goaltender(Pavelec and Hutchinson)
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

I...am your father.

You can't consider Desjardins because Maurice and Hartley have turned chicken shit into chicken salad. Magic!

Desjardins took chicken salad that was only lacking the dressing, and he added the dressing.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Pro

I think you underestimating the talent on Calgary. They have one of the best defensive lineups in the league.
    And considering its Desjardins first season coaching in the NHL he deserves some credit - Hartley is a vet.
    consider the man down days for the nucks.
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin