Thread: 2016 NHL Draft Format

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default 2016 NHL Draft Format

This has apparently been out for a while, but I was not aware of it at all. Apparently starting 2016, the top 3 picks will be decided via lottery in a bid to further discourage tanking. The only reason it wasn't implemented for this season apparently was because some teams had already traded away their firsts and they didn't want to upset those teams that had done so without knowing the format.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728795

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: 2016 NHL Draft Format

This season has been an eye-opener to how much a first is worth. Buffalo literally sold everything, and Arizona isn't far behind.
    I don't mind the NHL making it a bit less important to finish at the bottom of the heap (as long as there's still a way for the weaker teams to improve with generally higher picks).
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Star

This will probably prevent the kind of firesale we saw with Buffalo this past trade deadline. It's one thing to end up with the 2nd overall, but it's an other one to trade everything and be stuck with the 4th overall pick.

Dobber Sports Star

yeah. this is more alike the NBA lottery. you arent assured a top 2 pick by being last. anyone from 1-14 can win the lottery. im not sure if theres a max you can drop though.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    yeah. this is more alike the NBA lottery. you arent assured a top 2 pick by being last. anyone from 1-14 can win the lottery. im not sure if theres a max you can drop though.
    If the lottery determines the top 3 slots, then assuming you're name isn't called, you can go back 3 spots, to 4th. That's how I understand it anyways.

Banned

I heard Friedmann talking the other day about the NHL draft system. He said next year these changes will come into effect, but the NHL is also looking strongly for a system that will not reward teams that continually fail. They want to give bottom teams a chance to rebuild, but there will be limits to the system and repeated bottom finishes won't be rewarded with top draft picks forever, as the current system allows.

Dobber Sports Veteran

This might not be the popular view, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this is going to backfire on the league once the ramifications start being felt in a few years' time.

Don't get me wrong, I despise tanking (coming from a Sabres fan). Hate it.

In my view, however, the entire point of a draft system is to give the worst teams the opportunity to improve by selecting the perceived best incoming players. From that perspective, allowing all non-playoff teams a chance to jump up to #1 is a bit foolish. But creating the possibility that the worst 2 teams in the league could be selecting at 4 and 5 -- while teams that barely missed the playoffs get first crack at the top rated players -- well, that's just ridiculous.

I mean, could you imagine a scenario where the Kings end up falling short of the playoffs this season and end up winning the McDavid sweepstakes, much less a situation in which the Bruins or Wild or Flyers of the world also then ended up with picks 2 and 3? Meanwhile, teams 20 or 30+ points down in the standings -- the Buffalos, Carolinas, Arizonas or Edmontons of the world -- are picking in the 4-7 spots. As unlikely as that outcome might be, the mere fact that it's even conceivable seems crazy to me.

As I see it, the potential issue here is exacerbated by the significant role that free agency plays in roster construction these days; specifically, by the fact that certain franchises have an easier/more difficult time attracting top free agents regardless of their presently perceived Cup chances, cap space, etc. Whether it's simply attributable to organizational cache, chic city, a player's desire to play closer to home, the chance to play alongside an elite talent, etc., the fact remains that players often choose their destinations in free agency for a variety of subjective reasons and certain teams seem to consistently fit the bill more often than others with high priority free agents. Add in the prevalence of no trade clauses and the like, and the problem gets compounded even further.

Not that a couple top picks or even a couple #1 picks guarantees a team success mind you ... I fully recognize that. But top draft picks sure gives a team a better shot at improving than if they keep "losing" the lottery and picking further down the draft each year than their record warrants. And that seems particularly true for the franchises that are less likely to be able to lure top free agents with any sort of regularity in order to solve their talent woes through other avenues.

A bit of a rant, I know. It's just that the new lottery rules seem like they could backfire and make it even harder for certain organizations to improve their talent level and, ultimately, compete.

Oh well. At a minimum, I hope that the league at least starts doing the lottery drawing live to minimize the aura of shenanigans that the scorned fanbase(s) for the "losing" franchise(s) surely will believe were at play....
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Icon

The changes to the draft lottery should be known as the Oilers rule Version 2. The first version was when the NHL brought in coincidental penalties in the 80s because the Oilers were so dominant in 4 on 4 play. I like the new system. The worst teams still have the best chances of getting top draft picks but the incentive to get rid of any NHL caliber player on your team drops quite a bit.